• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A visit with Elegant Parrots at home in the wild in Australia!

Polytelismedia

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Don Kimball
This past September in 2014 I zoomed over to Australia on a personal quest to see the most number of parrot species I could in 3 weeks. I flew to Queensland, New South Wales and South Australia. I had really under estimated South Australia. Turns out its one of the most productive states to see Aussie Parrots.
I had just about 4 hours before my plane left Adelaide for Sydney so rented a car and bolted down the highway to a remote little park tucked in the serene pastoral farmland south of Adelaide. I was here on a tip from an aussie mate that told me I should find some Elegant Parrots here. Bingo he was correct! Even in mid day I found a flock of these gorgeous little guys sitting quietly in the trees. I thought folks who love Neophemas might like to see where they live and breed in the wild :)

Attachments

sonja

Jogging around the block
Sounds like a great trip!

Aurelio

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Stefan
Indeed very interesting to see the pictures, loved the third one with the elegant parrot.

Coki

Avenue Veteran
So cool! I totally should make one of those trips. Did you happen to see any Bourkes or princess parrots? Did you take more pics? We'll love to see them all!

Polytelismedia

Real Name
Don Kimball
So cool! I totally should make one of those trips. Did you happen to see any Bourkes or princess parrots? Did you take more pics? We'll love to see them all!
Actually I did see both bourkies and princess! But not this time. I saw those on my 6 month journey all over oz in 2008/2009. I got lots of photos and blogged the journey so if you want you can read about it here:
Australian Parrots | I traveled around Australia for 6 months filming the country's amazing parrot species

Cheers!

Don

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I just read through your blog - wow! Terrific pics and what an utterely amazing trip!

Polytelismedia

Real Name
Don Kimball
I just read through your blog - wow! Terrific pics and what an utterely amazing trip!
rockybird. It makes it all worthwhile to hear others enjoyment of my trip down under. I would love to take others on a trip to see Aussie parrots. I am one of those guys that doesnt just dream but just does it... LOL. So guess what? I formed a tour company and will be taking 8 people to Australia in Sept 19 - Oct 4 of this year 2015. I know these tours arent cheap because of all the airfare and transportation but totally worth it I think. Check my tour out here if you like!
Australia 2015 Parrot Tour |