• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Nonstick pans

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Did you have any trouble with staining? That was a big complaint also.

No, not at all.

Granted I'm not the super chef here but I use them daily. At this point as I have had them well over a year I would buy another set if they wore out. I think I paid $79 for the set and I LOVE nonstick pans, I could not live without them. To be nonstick, safe for the birds, and last "say" two years.... That would be worth it to me to have to replace them every two years. However, they are holding up fine.

Bartleby

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Carbon steel. Look it up, best of both cast iron and stainless. Seasoned correctly nothing will stick...ever. It's light enough that you can flip an omelet/pancake. Gosh directly formt he stove top to the oven. Most restaurants use them, in fact that's where I picked my first one up. They had a big restaurant supply liquidation downtown one year. I got up super early, stood in a ghastly line surrounded by grumpy restauranteers and picked up a perfectly seasoned, well worn high mileage carbon steel skillet. I have a family heirloom 100 year old cast iron skillet and if you told me I could only keep one of them I would be hard pressed to choose. Sadly, I lost my gas range when I made the move out here to the boonies (all electric) and I find that I just don't have the opportunities to use my carbon steel or cast iron as often anymore. :(

As far as sticking with stainless, a little bit of fat ain't going to kill you. :rofl: If you're still getting too much stickage you're probably using too high of a heat setting (especially with eggs) and/or you're mucking with it too much. Patience is the key, the food will release from the pan when it's good and ready. It also helps to have a thick walled pan with an aluminum core for even heat distribution...copper core if you can afford it.

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
I find some things stick very badly in stainless pans, like eggs. But a good old well oiled cast iron pan is the best - nothing sticks to them! And the older they are, the better - so keep an eye out for used ones at rummage sales and thrift stores for cheap.
Thanks! :) That's my moms biggest complain with SS pans is that some things just don't cook right in them!

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
Carbon steel. Look it up, best of both cast iron and stainless. Seasoned correctly nothing will stick...ever. It's light enough that you can flip an omelet/pancake. Gosh directly formt he stove top to the oven. Most restaurants use them, in fact that's where I picked my first one up. They had a big restaurant supply liquidation downtown one year. I got up super early, stood in a ghastly line surrounded by grumpy restauranteers and picked up a perfectly seasoned, well worn high mileage carbon steel skillet. I have a family heirloom 100 year old cast iron skillet and if you told me I could only keep one of them I would be hard pressed to choose. Sadly, I lost my gas range when I made the move out here to the boonies (all electric) and I find that I just don't have the opportunities to use my carbon steel or cast iron as often anymore. :(

As far as sticking with stainless, a little bit of fat ain't going to kill you. :rofl: If you're still getting too much stickage you're probably using too high of a heat setting (especially with eggs) and/or you're mucking with it too much. Patience is the key, the food will release from the pan when it's good and ready. It also helps to have a thick walled pan with an aluminum core for even heat distribution...copper core if you can afford it.

Awesome info., thanks! :D