• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Korbel's Laser Therapy

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
There are quite a few people afraid of birds. They don't like the flapping wings or when a bird squawks they go running.
I knew others did not have to handle Korbel so it was interesting hearing that they preferred to be off. I would make a special trip in to be able to see him.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
There are quite a few people afraid of birds. They don't like the flapping wings or when a bird squawks they go running.
I knew others did not have to handle Korbel so it was interesting hearing that they preferred to be off. I would make a special trip in to be able to see him.

Twice a week I go. Maybe it's an excuse to get a few extra days off. I know the fear some people can have, I see it in the birdroom at work. It's hard for some people to walk in the door. ;)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
My nephew's wife is completely phobic about birds - doesn't matter if it's a tiny bird or a great big macaw, she cries and almost faints.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
We are back from round three. He was very good but it's now noted that he gets antsy at the 2 minute mark every time. His treatment is 3 minutes 30 seconds long.

It's so hard to interpret if I think it's working or not. He has been acting different, not better or worse but different. Hubby has noticed too so I'm not completely crazy. I see no pain from him but he is also on celebrex throughout the treatments. I guess once the treatments are over and we pull back on the meds I will know more.

:grouphug:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
They used laser therapy on Mobys toe yesterday. Said it would help with his pain and to heal faster. And today it looks pretty good and he hasnt shown too much pain signs besides just favoring the toe. But he's jumping around the cage and being a normal Moby-too.

How's Korbel? @Macawnutz

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
They used laser therapy on Mobys toe yesterday. Said it would help with his pain and to heal faster. And today it looks pretty good and he hasnt shown too much pain signs besides just favoring the toe. But he's jumping around the cage and being a normal Moby-too.

How's Korbel?

He is doing well Mercedez. I let him take a nap after the procedure so he is resting now.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Does he get tired afterwards? I hope the hours afterwards he isnt too stressed and tired. Poor whittle man.

I think the trip gets him stressed a bit. He is quite happy to hit the cage for a few hours afterward. Korbel has had so many vet trips in his life, I think he expects it be be worse than it is. He does not enjoy new people or new places. Korbel could never be a show bird.

QBird

Jogging around the block
At $360 .... I'm not bringing earplugs for them, they can buy there own. :rofl:
hehe brilliant theory.
Hope everything goes well for Korbel :)
Must admit I do like your fees we can pay the equivalent of $300 for the check up and a couple of tests ... let alone the repeat visit to find out what the test results are :( but either way it's great you have these facilities and I truly hope that every cent pays off for him, he's a stunning looking bird with a great character :)

Sarah13

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sarah
May I ask why Korbel has had so many vet visits? You said you stopped counting over a year ago after it exceeded $12,500. Does he have special health problems/needs besides the mysterious popping pain? He's on the young side and I remember you said your vet was very pleased with his physical condition so that's great to hear!
I hope he stays well after his treatments and meds are gone.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Before my Hank died I had spent over $45,000 on his medical care over 15 years. Thank goodness it doesn't happen to many people, but it does happen.

Jasper has cost about $20,000 in medical care in 14 years - she's a cheap bird.

Both were darned near dead when I got them. Oh the experiences we have through the years.

Sarah13

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sarah
Yeah that's amazing. I remember you talked about how ill your babes were in the beginning. In terms of vet bills for 1 year, I'm only at $130 so I'll just keep going from there. Tori had costs on top of that but my vet did not charge me.
I was just worried about/wondered what was wrong with korbel because he had a safe loving start to life unlike poor hank and jasper. I'm so happy that they had/have a nice life with you.
:heart::gwm:s
:sorrow: hank and tori

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Korbel's start in life was terrible. He was deadly ill when Sarah saved him from a man who had taken a 5 week old baby B&G and didn't know what he was doing. It took Sarah many months and many vets and visits to save Korbel.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I was just worried about/wondered what was wrong with korbel because he had a safe loving start to life unlike poor hank and jasper.

Korbel was pretty close to death when I picked him up at six weeks old......

I don't use this word often but Korbel was a rescue. He was very sick when I brought him home and he got much worse before better. He has almost died on me twice and has been hospitalized more than a few times. The man was improperly handfeeding. Cold formula caused bacteria and yeast and overfeeding caused aspiration. We were treating him for everything.

Once we got it cleared up something remained. All my vets were sure it was PDD and urged me to have him tested for ABV. Some even urged me to put him down and said I was allowing him to suffer. I did not believe the ABV crap and fought for his life with some very close friends. ( Tori hit very close to home with me if you remember )

Korbel had avian gastric yeast, not ABV. Sure glad I did not listen to quite a few people. The medicine for AGY nearly killed him also, Korbel has been through so much. He was about a year old when I started to feel he was out of the woods and feeling better. He injured his leg not long after that.

Sarah13

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sarah
Wow! Epic journey! You would think avian vets would recognize yeast compared ABV PDD especially since you knew and told them korbel's history.
Do vets/people tend to cry ABV/PDD a lot? I wonder if tori actually died right there at the vet's or if she was euthanized and he didn't say anything. They didn't let me go back there with her. They took her away from me in the waiting room and about 30 minutes later my vet came in, took me into a check up room and said she was gone. He gave me a card for a bird rescue in my area and by request, some tail feathers. He said she would be cremated but I asked him to test her blood, gram stains, fecal, saliva, etc first. (tested positive for ABV but there have been many tests that contradict each other)
I don't know if euthanasia was done or if it's even legal and I didn't really mind if he did but I found it surprising how she happened to die RIGHT then and there and I wasn't able to see her. They always let me take Val in and handle/stay with her 100% of the time. I only had tori for 27 days, she was 2, through 5 homes. Definitely "rescued" from the first 2.
On a brighter note, where did the name korbel come from? It's neat!

Last edited:

QBird

Jogging around the block
Before my Hank died I had spent over $45,000 on his medical care over 15 years. Thank goodness it doesn't happen to many people, but it does happen.

Jasper has cost about $20,000 in medical care in 14 years - she's a cheap bird.

Both were darned near dead when I got them. Oh the experiences we have through the years.
My word, 2 more birds and you can get a house! just goes to prove how much they cost when they get ill.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Wow! Epic journey! You would think avian vets would recognize yeast compared ABV PDD especially since you knew and told them korbel's history.
Do vets/people tend to cry ABV/PDD a lot? I wonder if tori actually died right there at the vet's or if she was euthanized and he didn't say anything. They didn't let me go back there with her. They took her away from me in the waiting room and about 30 minutes later my vet came in, took me into a check up room and said she was gone. He gave me a card for a bird rescue in my area and by request, some tail feathers. He said she would be cremated but I asked him to test her blood, gram stains, fecal, saliva, etc first. (tested positive for ABV but there have been many tests that contradict each other)
I don't know if euthanasia was done or if it's even legal and I didn't really mind if he did but I found it surprising how she happened to die RIGHT then and there and I wasn't able to see her. They always let me take Val in and handle/stay with her 100% of the time. I only had tori for 27 days, she was 2, through 5 homes. Definitely "rescued" from the first 2.
On a brighter note, where did the name korbel come from? It's neat!

First I do not think that AGY is an easy diagnoses. Like many other avian diseases it does not shed in every fecal and will not be found in every crop swab. The symptoms of AGY are much like PDD and I did not know his history other than the man I took him from. I did not spend much time asking him questions as I felt my husband was going to knock his lights out. As far as ABV & PDD... I'm not convinced the two are connected. You should remember that from our correspondence about Tori... but you seem to have forgotten that.

I think some people are quick to throw the ABV term out there with little research into what it is and how often it is seen. I think the last statistics I saw were 40% of parrots test positive for ABV and have no symptoms... I think Tori should have had more answers. but that is a different thread.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
No WAY is that an easy diagnosis! I, personally, am hopeful that the combination of Celebrex and the laser therapy will make a difference in Korbel's life...in time.

Sarah13

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sarah

First I do not think that AGY is an easy diagnoses. Like many other avian diseases it does not shed in every fecal and will not be found in every crop swab. The symptoms of AGY are much like PDD and I did not know his history other than the man I took him from. I did not spend much time asking him questions as I felt my husband was going to knock his lights out. As far as ABV & PDD... I'm not convinced the two are connected. You should remember that from our correspondence about Tori... but you seem to have forgotten that.

I think some people are quick to throw the ABV term out there with little research into what it is and how often it is seen. I think the last statistics I saw were 40% of parrots test positive for ABV and have no symptoms... I think Tori should have had more answers. but that is a different thread.
I'm sure nothing is easy in avian medicine beside the most basic of evaluations and care let alone diagnosing and treating very "new", complex, and devastating diseases! :hilarious:
I remember that you said they weren't linked and I agreed. In fact, I was under the impression that ABV and PDD were unrelated even before you and I ever talked on this forum. I'm not'/wasn't an expert on either obviously but I did my homework on macaw care/training/health/psychology before Tori to an extent that allowed me to realize that the two were similar in some ways but different as sole entities. I took several microbiology courses and genetics courses so that definitely gave me a leg up in terms of microbial thinking even if I didn't study a particular area. Sorry if the / made you think I was equating the two, I just used the / to save space...like I just did here!
:roflmao:
I agree about not having all of the answers for Tori and would like to know for the sake of knowledge and betterment of the bird world etc etc but it's too late now. There's no reason to dwell on it and be upset. There's nothing I could have done/can do now. Don't get me wrong, I would have tried anyway. :shy: Either way, I didn't have her long but I did my best to care for her and keep her happy/comfy...she was cage bound in the beginning, loved target, color, towel, and step up training, tug of war with her wood chew toy, got her switched off of only seed and started on pellets and a couple fresh foods (only mango and pineapple) had 2 showers and allowed preening. I made the short time with her count.
I have seen many owners say their bird tested positive then negative then positive back and forth back and forth so I know that the "in question" ailment is not always seen or easily/accurately diagnosed.
:sour: used / again! :D

Last edited: