• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Please have them in your thoughts

Crazy4parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
:sadhug2:I'm so sorry To read that Foo passed :(
Saya looks like she is better developped than Foo maybe the storm affected Foo's development.

Last edited:

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Thanks everyone. It is life I guess.

It is not breeding season, and I never expected them to breed, and once I found out I said, 'well, they are doing a good job, it will be nice to have some new chicks, I will get a transition cage ready (for the fledgelings)'. Then the storm, then death, then power outage, then brooder broken, then, then, then.... Im really pulling for her, but one baby is a very hard task.

With finches, 6 seems to be the magic number. Easier to care for a clutch of 6 finches, that are at least 6 days old. Making small quantities of formula and feeding with a dental tool every hour.... and stimulating a feeding response without its companions is, well, daunting. Mistakes get made so easily because the fun gets sucked right out of it. Ill keep everyone updated of course... But it is harder for the little guy to keep her temp and humidity right without the skin of her companions.

She is growing (4 days old), here she is next to a egg for size comparison... I put the eggs back in her little 'nest' as she seems to be getting fussy and trying to move around all the time. It is easier for her if she has some leverage without companions:

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
So she still eats every hour... as she gulps and gets some air in her crop so there is less room for food. I have new crop feeders coming this afternoon so we will see how it works then. Still cant get the make-shift brooder temp regulated so I check on it every 15-30 minutes.

Here is a better pic (all cleaned up... no formula on the edges of the mouth), that's a face only a mother could love. Which brings me to the point my husband made:
'In 3 days her eyes will be open.... she will be able to see her mother'

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
For anyone who is interested.... Saya started to get slightly dehydrated, so her formula was thinned and back to more often feedings. (3 parts water and 1 part formula... replacing some of the water with pedialyte'
- 'Go with you gut' as they say.

I am confused as to the other two eggs. I was going to toss them today, but out of curiosity, candled them, and they seem fine!? maybe I am blind/crazy.

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
You are doing such a great job :heart:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I would keep the eggs with her for support as she grows. Thats what mother birds do until the babies get bigger.

Also, are you using a heat lamp or a heat pad? Do you cover her with cotton or something to imitate a parental bird? It also help deflects the awful heat lamp from touching her skin but also keeps her warm. You never want the hest lamps rays to be on her skin.

Also I dont know what kind of brooder you're using. If theres humidity added, etc. But if you get cotton slightly slight wet and then put it over her. Itll provide humidity, keep her skin hydrated, protect her from the lights heat waves, and comfort her.

Just an idea :) I always have snuggly thing for my babies. Even at neonatal stage.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
I would keep the eggs with her for support as she grows. Thats what mother birds do until the babies get bigger.

Also, are you using a heat lamp or a heat pad? Do you cover her with cotton or something to imitate a parental bird? It also help deflects the awful heat lamp from touching her skin but also keeps her warm. You never want the hest lamps rays to be on her skin.

Also I dont know what kind of brooder you're using. If theres humidity added, etc. But if you get cotton slightly slight wet and then put it over her. Itll provide humidity, keep her skin hydrated, protect her from the lights heat waves, and comfort her.
Brooder. LMAO. No... brooder was broken, no where to buy one here within a 2 month delivery time. This is a aquarium with a heat pad underneath, and a microfiber towel. On top of that is a small bowl, filled with kleenex, and she sits inside. Towels are wrapped around the exterior to hold in heat, and there is tin foil 'top' (so no rays hit her)

There is a heat lamp on top that I turn on only to increase the heat at specified times (only on when I open the top to feed to hold in heat, etc). There are two thermoand humidity calculators. There is a glass of water with a sponge, and I use a spray bottle (pointed away from baby) after opening the top to restore the humidity.

I havent used anything for the 'parental' mod. Im afraid it would take moisture away from her skin, or absorb the heat and col her (like a wet blanket on a baby)?
Very interested in this subject... please elaborate!

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Little worried... she has not defecated for some time. Added pediatlyte and apple juice to her formula (in place of water) in the last feeding to hopefully resolve the issue. She took more this feeding than she ever has.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
I took a cotton swab in some warm water and 'wiped' her bum to stimulate. Going to try again in 5 minutes as she was just fed.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Many breeders use a light cloth or something like cotton swabs to cover neotates and mist those gently. It will not take heat or humidity from her and its what a moths bird often would do, too. Take a bath and sit on babies and eggs. If the air temp is 92 F, then it will not cool her at all if the water that mists the cotton swabs (lightly, barelly "dampening") is the same temp being used in the tsnk. No heat or moisture would be taken from the baby. You can look up hos breeders do it here with unfesthered chicks.

**please excuse typos. On the phone and its glitchy.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
You can also up her feed, if she isnt pooping enough. And never let her crop go completely empty. Wait until its about 1/4 full before refeeding. For finches, this young, it may be twice an hour. I cant remember.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Saya is 5 days old now. She has lots more fuzzy- and it looks like her eyes are getting ready to open.

Right after changing the begging this morning, I noticed a small red dot (you can see it in the photo on the left). Im hoping it was from my finger, and not from her.

She still prefers to be 'stimulated' (wet cotton tip on her bum) to dedicate.
She is often leaning up against the edge of her nest on her back. I have never seen a finch do this, I'm actually stumped as to what it is... other than just the curve of the bowl and being top heavy.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
I believe she has a distended lower cavity... Still eating- but I feel like it is severe bloat of some type.
Furthermore, if that is truly blood, then there is nothing I can do.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh,I'm so sorry for your loss of Foo *hugs* hope Saya will be able to pull through and flourish under your loving care.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
SAD UPDATE: I mentioned in previous posts how these guys had it bad from the start, and apparently, that was no joke.

The swelling that I noticed a couple days ago keeps getting worse. I took some photos and sent it in to the vet. They believe that the birds have a birth defect- caused by the excessive cool/heating, yada, yada and the embryo not developing properly. Vet said sometimes they end up fine (if you can keep them fed, etc they grow out of it), but usually not.

Im getting a second opinion.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Im thinking because of improper incubation (I guess my legs were no good), there is an infection for the yolk sac causing inflammation, etc. I think she should go on antibiotics and a anti fungal (because of yeast growth can occur).

My medications are stuck in customs... they are OCD with medication control here, and I have to find a vet who can prescribe these items. But that is just my opinion.

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
I Did noticed there was something not normal with Foo! I hope Saya makes it through.! At least Now You know whats going on.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran