• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Every now and again...

HollyT

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Holly
...Ravi goes psycho.

I consider myself pretty lucky. I've read some horrible stories about caiques going nuts and being uber aggressive. But even though he bounces around like a little feathered ADD child, Ravi is really a good bird. We've only had two bad bites from him. One was much worse than the other and the lesser wasn't a bite as much as he lost his balance and caught himself on my knuckle.

I consider myself pretty good at reading his body language and knowing when not to touch him. He's super friendly and playful and he's really sweet when he settles down in the evenings. But every now and then, his little self just goes crazy and is like a totally different bird.

Tonight was one of those nights. I'm just glad I saw the signs before I even let him out of the cage. As I opened the door he was hanging onto the inside of the cage. I even almost reached in to step him up. Then I got a vibe and quickly noticed the eye pinnin. I'm actually proud I didn't panic. I simply shut the cage door and backed away.

Then I watched as he climbed up and down the bars whistling, chortling, growling a bit. Biting the cage bars, and eventually taking his anger out, violently, on a hanging foraging toy. I would have just left the room but Milo was out playing on Kara's cage. In general it's not an issue. They ignore each other. Ravi's actually wary of the fast flying budgie. But I decided to recall Milo back to his cage for some millet and Kara too. Just to lower the energy in the room. I turned down the lights a bit as well and calmed my own energy. I say nearby and watched from the corner of my eye.

It's amazing the energy I feel and can see from him when he turns like this. There really is a visual difference. And then like a light switch it's off and he's his sweet self again.

As I finish this post it looks like Ravi has finally calmed down. But I don't know if I'll let him out. May just have to settle everyone down for the night and begin again tomorrow.

Just thought I'd share my thought process.

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Wow! Good catch!

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Great observations.
Great of you to share as this thread can assist someone

RachaelR

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Rachael Rawlings
Crazy! My sister has one of these clowns, but I've never seen Skittles angry! He generally is good with almost everyone unlike her greys.

HollyT

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Holly
Crazy! My sister has one of these clowns, but I've never seen Skittles angry! He generally is good with almost everyone unlike her greys.
Ravi loves everyone! He's super fun and very smart. A little too smart :) He just has his occasional moments. Doesn't happen often. But when it does it's amazing!

LADyver

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Question for you....I've had my Caique for 14 years and he does the same thing when he goes into sensory overload. Fortunately he has NEVER done the Jekyll and Hyde thing while I've been handling him. But when he's in the same mode as your Ravi, I can actually say a few sweet words to him and pick him up within seconds when his eyes stop pinning. He calms down and does a "yoo hoo" whistle asking to be picked up. It's literally like a light switch! He's completely safe to pick up once he's calmed down, even though 2 second before he would've taken a chunk out of my hand. Is this typical or do most caiques stay ramped up and come down on their own terms?

Mrcrowley

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
Good Momma I bet he is getting hormonal with emotional outburst's like that you have the birdie parront talent feeling your birds vib's . I bet most bite's come from not reading your bird correctly.

HollyT

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Holly
Question for you....I've had my Caique for 14 years and he does the same thing when he goes into sensory overload. Fortunately he has NEVER done the Jekyll and Hyde thing while I've been handling him. But when he's in the same mode as your Ravi, I can actually say a few sweet words to him and pick him up within seconds when his eyes stop pinning. He calms down and does a "yoo hoo" whistle asking to be picked up. It's literally like a light switch! He's completely safe to pick up once he's calmed down, even though 2 second before he would've taken a chunk out of my hand. Is this typical or do most caiques stay ramped up and come down on their own terms?
It sounds like you have a pretty good handle on your caique too! I believe in general caiques are adhd, jekly/Hyde, clowns. But I also believe every bird is an individual. I can see when Ravi is getting overly excited. I've learned to calm the energy of the situation and can usually turn the tide. Like you do with the calm words. Sometimes though it's intense like in my original post and I know it's better to just let it play out.

I think it has a lot to do with energy and giving them lots of outlets for play and destruction. I'm constantly creating and refilling foraging toys and I've discovered a few go to shreddable/chewable toys that Ravi always goes after. He also gets handled everyday. I don't force the interaction. If I ask him to step up and he's not interested I let him be and start doing something else in the bird room. Most of the time he gets nosey and has to try and disrupt the cleaning I'm doing. Most times he's happy to visit and wrestle with my hands. He also likes surfing on my pant legs or my slippers. And sometimes he just wants help with his pin feathers. When he's calm like that it gives me an opportunity to give him a good once over. Making sure there's nothing going on with feathers or his vent,feet or beak. Not sure if I answered the question for you but it's the best I could do.

HollyT

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Holly
Good Momma I bet he is getting hormonal with emotional outburst's like that you have the birdie parront talent feeling your birds vib's . I bet most bite's come from not reading your bird correctly.
That's probably a safe bet.