• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Play Gym Ideas

Doris M

Sprinting down the street
Here are some of the play gyms we built. We have decided on jute rope, which can get a bit tedious and painful when wrapping. Recently, we built hanging play gyms. I'll post pictures when I get them uploaded. Since we have rehomed birds, it sometimes takes a bit for them to get used to new items. We introduced the hanging ones a couple of days ago and hung them today. No adverse reactions so far :dancing:

Attachments

Doris M

On a different note: after we created the first big stand, I discovered that it takes a bit finesse to move it around rooms with a bird on it or on me. So we made a second, smaller one that can be easily moved so, for example, Aquila can watch me make food.

Dgirard

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Danielle
Hey,

I've noticed a lot of people wrap PVC with rope or vet wrap for play gyms. I was just wondering, could the rope be a safety concern? For example, what if they chew through it and get their feet caught? Do people normally have a problem with chewing or fraying of the rope?

aubs1220

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Aubrey
Also, do you use anything to glue the rope down with? Or just wrap tight and knot at the ends? I love this idea and think Ditto would love something like this. Time to do some research and measuring.....

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Rope/harmful. It depends on the type rope you use. You want untreated and rope that is chewed breaks, Imported rope has pesticides. Laundry rope line has an inner cord which birds can get tangled in.

Doris M

I just use natural rope. I considered the vet wrap but didn't like the stickiness aspect. The birds love to chew the jute rope. It's probably as harmful as any plastic or cargo net items or metal coating. I like the one without dye. Hemp rope might be cool, too. I use no glue or anything of the sort, just tight windings. Creativity with the knots increases the play. I have also connected my ladders with the ends. It does have to be replaced once in a while, of course.

Doris M

research and measuring.....
I think research is the fun part! I didn't over-do it with the measuring because I wanted fun for me, too :)
What I do really like is that the birds watch me put those stands together, which makes it easier for them to use (i.e. mom already played with it).

Timmy&Crash

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rick
After much research I found the only rope that is not treated in some way is sisal. Hemp or manila they use oil in the manufacture process. Your play gyms look great

Doris M

This one fits right onto the door of the cage. IMG_20150119_090037539[1].jpg And in the background you can see the hangy gym we made. I want to increasingly use real wood.