• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Grey, ekkie or poi?

parrotlover4

Walking the driveway
Hi so I am looking at adopting my second bird. I have narrowed it down to a grey congo or timiney ekkie or poi. I have done loads of reaserch and my mom will care for the bird while im in collage. I will visit them as much as I can aiming for 3 times a week. I have reaserched diet of ekkies and will post the paragraph I have writen. What is your fav of the three? I am adopting by the way.
Thanks!:cag::ekkiem::capem:

parrotlover4

Walking the driveway
Fruit, berries and veggies
Seed
Nuts and grain
Ekkies should not eat pellets as pellets have been know to create problems in ekkies.
Eclectus parrots have more complex dieting and many eclucteses can get ill from eating a common parrot diet.

Unlimated veggies as eclectus have longer digestive tracks so they have more time to get nutrients out of them. They need 80% veggies rather then the normal 50%. They should be replaced daily as they can go bad. Make sure the veggies and fruit is organic and from canada or last resort usa.
Berries daily as many eclectus parrots enjoy berries.
Mineral block and cuttlebone for calcium and any other missing nutrients. More cuttlebone for females in case of egg laying because if she has lack of calcium she risks and egg bound wich can be deadly to birds.
No one said that the food had to be fresh picked. Frozen fruit and veg last longer. You can freeze the fruit and veg yourself and put it into meal size pourtions. Dried food is also fun and you can find it in the rodent section or any supermarket. You can also hide dried food for foraging as it is dry and will last a couple days.

Nuts and seeds are a favirot to all birds and make perfect training treats. They tend to be fatty but there are many benifets to them. Some recommended nuts include-almonds, pine nuts, walnuts and palm nuts. peanuts should not be fed as there are health problems to them. If you must feed 2-4 a month but no more. Almonds and pinenuts contain vitamin E wich is important to eclectus parrots.

Some teas can be used for health problems but should only be used if the bird is ill.

Dandylion is very healthy and should be given if you can find it. Only get from market as they are more certin if sparayed or not.

LADyver

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Personally, I would do the poi, Meyers to be specific (I'm partial, I've always liked them). All of the Ekkies I have known are LOUD. I have found most Greys to be quiet, but higher maintenance due to their intelligence (all birds are high maintenance, but I find myself catering to my Grey the most to keep her from barbering her feathers). Not a good choice if you're only planning to visit 3x a week if that Grey chooses to bond to you, not your mom. If you're in college, at some point early on you'll probably find yourself in an apartment before you find yourself in a house. My Grey would be passable in an apartment, my caique would get us evicted. Depending on the Ekkie, I would have noise concerns. I would go with a bird that is most likely to be passable in an apartment, but can entertain itself in your absence, which is why my personal recommendation for you would be a poi.

Timmy&Crash

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rick
I love my TAG and wouldn't give him up for the world, but I agree with LADyver, Greys take a lot of maintenance and can tend to be a one person bird. Timmy has a fairly quiet voice but does talk a lot. But he can scream some too its rare for him but he still does. Sorry but I don't have experience with the other 2 birds on your list.
Good luck on your choice.

RachaelR

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Rachael Rawlings
I have heard that the eclectus can be challenge because of their specialized diet. They are beautiful, but a lot to take on!