• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hey....

Rob

Walking the driveway
Hi, I'm Rob and am new here and to the world of birds too, actually. I had a parakeet for a month or so when I was nine so I'm not counting that. I have one brown throat conure that I got from a rescue two days ago. I'm told this is normal, he is still shy and somewhat scared of me a lot the time and tries to bite me sometimes when i try to step him up. He's gotten slightly better later on today after he fell off the top of the cage and I caught him. I have a friend that is very experienced and she's helping me but i cant help but feel like i am doing something wrong.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Welcome to the forum Rob. Have you named your new buddy yet? My main advice is to go slowly with him and no fast movements. Speaking softly is good also. Do you know any background. On this bird? Bonding with a bird takes lots of patience. It also takes time, could be months. Watch his body language for any sign he may bite. If. You usually have a great in your hand he will learn your hands bring g good things. If you do get bitten try not to show any reaction. You can give him a little time out afterwards. Best of luck. :dance4:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Welcome to AA and thanks for taking this bird in.

See the situation from the bird's point of view - he is in a new place, new atmosphere, new food, new human and everything he was familiar with is gone.

Patience will be your and your bird's best friend. Don't try to handle him until he has calmed down - spend a few days just talking to him and giving him treats every time you walk by his cage. Just talk to him without picking him up. He needs a few days to settle down and decide you aren't going to harm him.

What are you feeding him? Is he eating? Is he drinking?

PS - He sure is cute and a very good looking bird.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
How can I help you....you called my name. :rofl: My bird calls me Hey! Welcome to the forum

Rob

Walking the driveway
Welcome to the forum Rob. Have you named your new buddy yet? My main advice is to go slowly with him and no fast movements. Speaking softly is good also. Do you know any background. On this bird? Bonding with a bird takes lots of patience. It also takes time, could be months. Watch his body language for any sign he may bite. If. You usually have a great in your hand he will learn your hands bring g good things. If you do get bitten try not to show any reaction. You can give him a little time out afterwards. Best of luck. :dance4:
The woman who I got him from told me all she knows they surrendered him to her about 4 months ago. He's two years old and he didn't have a name. The previous owners never named him thats all in know

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
:hello: Yes, bonding takes time. Adopted a 1.5 year old green cheek in April and it was months before he would step up, eat veggies, play, forage...... He is amazing now! So amazing, that I just adopted another 1.5 year old GCC. Lots of patience. I would sit on the floor close to the cage and work on projects, pay bills, play on internet, whatever I could do so he could see me.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome! I am sure that he will settle in.

Matt

Rob

Walking the driveway
Is there any way to sex it besides DNA testing?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
You mentioned that he tries to bite you when you ask him to step up. Does he actually lunge (several times) with an open beak or is he trying to reach your finger with his beak? Many birds will use their beak as a third "foot" to secure what they are going to step up or on to. I do not mean the question to be rude or to treat you as stupid. The difference in behaviour can be huge in interpretation; at the same time I have a Quaker girl who doesn't lunge until you think she's actually going to step up and is using her beak as her third foot and then she nails you (usually meant to read me - she likes the men in the household).

SueA555

Real Name
Sue Anderson
Welcome! He is very pretty. I hope you give him a name soon.

Patience is key. It takes a while for birds to get used to new environments. Just be gentle with him and give him time.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome. Your conure is very cute. Agree w/ others that you must be patient. It will take him awhile to warm up to you and his new environment. Congratulations on your new feathered friend and hoping everything works out with him.

Rob

Walking the driveway
Thanks for all the responses. I saw some videos of people with new birds doing the same thing so I feel a little better. Is there a DIY section here? I want to make a playstand with a food/water bowl

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah

Parrot Patch

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Misty
Welcome! For play stands and toys just google them.... Tons of ideas on the net! Congrats on ur new baby.... Give him time and he will be your best friend!

Cara

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
Welcome. He's cute and I bet he'll steal your heart. He's got that little glint in his eye. I agree with the others - slow and steady.

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
Welcome to AA! Just be patient & give him some time to settle in.... Cheeko's been with me just over a week now and he's still pretty skittish about it all. I'm sure he'll come around!