• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nuts for Quakers?

aubs1220

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Aubrey
I know Quakers are prone to fatty liver disease, so I'm not a huge fan of seed, but what nuts are too big/ hard to give Quakers? I want to do some foraging, and for the bigger birds I've had and fostered, I've always used nuts in the shell. Any help would be appreciated. :) :laugh:

lupe

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
:bump8:@Ribbit21

Last edited:

ZoeyFredrik

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nik
I sometimes get sliced almonds (make sure they are not salted). Sammy is not a huge fan of nuts, but he does love the sliced almond bits. They are perfect size for him. :)

For foraging, I take these slices and twist paper around them like candies.

aubs1220

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Aubrey
I just didn't know if there were nuts in the shell that wouldn't be too big for her to crack.

cnyguy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Gary
Ralph's attitude is "why bother to try cracking open a nut when I have a human slave to do it for me." :D If I gave him any kind of nut in its shell, Ralph would only toss it out. George the YCA could crack open even hard-shelled nuts, but would never eat any of the nutmeat after he cracked it open-- he'd only eat nuts that were already out of the shell. You might try something simple to start with, like an unsalted pistachio in the shell.

aubs1220

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Aubrey
Awesome.Yeah I don't expect her to get through a Brazil nut, but I wasn't sure about peanuts, pistachios, maybe almonds. Thanks uys! :cool:

Figment

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
I'm curious to hear others' experiences as well. Tiki adores almonds and walnuts, but they're unshelled and usually broken in half. Actually, I think she really just enjoys shredding them to crumbs. :rolleyes: I usually wrap them up in paper rope or unbleached coffee filters if I want to give her an extra challenge, but I've been thinking of trying some shelled nuts for a change.

Ribbit21

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Keri
I don't use nuts in the shell with the Quakers because they can't crack the nuts. They do get foraging walnuts once in a while. I will crack a whole walnut in half, take one half and pick some of the nut out and shove dried fruit and seeds in it, then wrap the whole thing in some tissue paper. Takes a bit for them to pick through the paper and dig the stuff out of the walnut shell.

Jazzy*

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
abbie
my quaker gets some nuts as a treat out of the shell as well. almonds are a big favorite and pine nuts she loves :)

RachaelR

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Rachael Rawlings
I didn't know if quakers could have many nuts. I had heard they were prone to fatty liver disease?

aubs1220

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Aubrey
It was more as a treat and foraging purposes. Maybe as a mix in for some birdie bread.

aubs1220

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Aubrey
I've noticed. :rolleyes: Not even two weeks in and she's destroyed her first toy. I was able to salvage enough to become a foot toy for now.... time to shop! :dance4: