• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need advice

crystalv

Moving in
I had a sun conure that i hand fed & was 9 yrs old who recently passed away for no reason. I have other birds as we well which i also hand fed. I got 3 sun conure babies yesterday. 1 is 13 days old, 1 is 10 days old & 1 is 5 days old. I am tryin to see if anyone has an approx weight range that the babies are supposed to be when crop is empty? All the birds ive hand fed were older than these little guys so i wasnt as worried. This mornin they weighed 38 g, 25 g & 12 g. The guy had just pulled them from the nest the day before i bought them. Thanks in advance, Crystal

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Hi. I don't have conure experience but wanted to say welcome to the forum.

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
No experience with baby birds at all, but hoping someone will come along soon with more knowledge.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I'm afraid my experience with baby conures is limited to gccs - the sun conure I have was already 4 years old when he came to live with us. I've also never pulled a baby from a nest to hand raise since I work full time.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
I don't know if I'm any help at all. We rescued a baby female house finch from a crow and had to hand feed her. She made it, bonded to us, and lived with us for a year and a half till she caught a chill that eventually took her out. We used baby bird powdered formula we heated till warm and used a eye dropper to get it down her gullet. She'd eat till her crop was really full then nap a while. She pretty much self weaned as she started pecking at finch food plus whatever we were eating. Never weighed her, just tried to make sure she was eating and doing well.
She was happy, sang, and played with toys, miss the little thing.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would have a necropsy done on the dead bird. I'm sorry for your loss, however if you intend to sell the chicks and have had a recent death, you need to know what the bird died of in case it was something contagious that can be spread to one of your buyer's flocks. Also if it was bacterial, you can have a culture done on those chicks to make sure they don't have it or get them treated before symptoms break. Also, because it seems like you are bringing birds in from a breeder, that ups the disease risk for your flock. Personally I'd be having a little anxiety attack if I frequently brought in new birds from other people and one of my older birds died. Piece of mind is golden for me and I always do the necropsy unless its just a ridiculously old bird with a previously diagnosed problem. Sudden deaths always get necropsied at my house. Thankfully, its been several years since I had one of those. Birds don't just die for no reason. It could be a complication related to diet, something in the air, fungal, viral or bacterial infection, cancer, blood clot etc.

You might want to try posting on the breeder forum on this website to reach sun conure breeders for the weights. I don't do conures myself.

crystalv

Moving in
She passed away a couple weeks ago. The babies i bought are in a totally seperate part of the house & ive only had them for a couple days so i know it wasnt their fault. I am keeping these little ones. I dont sell birds, i got them for pets. I was so upset when she died i buried her so its to late for a necropsy now. Her love bird friend is doing great so i dont think it was contagious.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Welcome & good luck feeding your new babies

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Contagious. Genetic or user error.
Birds dont pass away for 'no reason', and you need to know what that reason is, otherwise it has the potential to happen again. and again.

If nothing more, detail the care and symptoms of your late feathered fiend so we can make assumptions as to cause.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
The guy had just pulled them from the nest the day before i bought them. Thanks in advance, Crystal
You dont know how to feed, weigh and analyze the health of your birds... but a breeder pulled birds form the nest the day before you bought them?

crystalv

Moving in
Mythic55, i dont know where you got i dont know how to feed, weigh, analyze my birds, etc. I do know how to feed, weigh, etc my birds. I was just curious about how much other birds weighed at that age. I weigh them every mornin & they gain weight everyday. They are very happy little guys. As far as my 9 yr old that passed, she was perfectly fine that mornin & dead when i got home. I dug her up & the vet said she was egg bound which is what caused her death. She had never laid eggs before.

Wolf

Jogging around the block
I am sorry for the loss of your 9 yr. old. I can't help you with the babies as I have no experience with birds of their ages.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Joseph012

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
It doesn't really matter what they "should weigh" at this age. These are very young birds ( especially the 5 day) and need to be kept brooder that stays very steady at 85*. The 5 day needs to be fed around the clock every 2-3 hours. The others can go a little longer between feedings, however being kept together will probably beg and giving them some inbetween full feedings is ok. It's not always avisable to feed on top of formula, but I don't think it will do too much harm as long as the temperatures are consistent and the crops are emptying regularly.

Now to the weight- weigh them everyday. The youngest one maybe a couple times. Record the weights and make sure they are gaining weight consistently. A drastic drops over night means there is a problem, which are too numerous to list.

Applebutter

Jogging around the block
Hi, Crystal

I'm just curious as to why he pulled them so soon? My Sun baby is 7 weeks old and still being weaned, it will be sometime yet before I can bring him home.

I have no advice, but it sounds like you have your hands full! Goodness!

Sorry for the loss of your other Sun :(. :hug8:

Wolf

Jogging around the block
Well it has been close to a month and I would love to read an update on your babies and perhaps see a few pictures of the little ones. They are so cute when they are just babies.