• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Weird butt behavior

<3beako<3

Checking out the neighborhood
Yesterday we brought home our new pineapple conure (a friend for our female green cheek). I've noticed that occasionally the new pineapple will put it's butt in the air, but keep it's head and tail down. As far as I knew, their mating behavior entails putting both their butt and tail up. It keeps its tail down and shivers its wings a bit. The dude we bought him from said it was a male. Does this sound like weird mating behavior a male would do or a vet problem we should take him in for?

Stitchy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chris
Hi, our GCC has been doing that also for months now. Screeches the who time too. Not sure what causes it, maybe some of the more experienced people will be able to assist.

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I'm sure our GCC experts will be along soon. in the meantime can we have a short vid of this beheaviour?.

My first (wild) guess would be babyish food begging. I have a baby caique just weaned who exhibits this butt up, head down mouth open shivering wings to solicit food from me.

JP

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
That is funny you mention this. Rhema does beak down, butt up, tail up and pushes those legs as high as they will go, too. Maybe she is a he?

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
@Newbie GCC - What Rhema is doing its the same thing that Hannah (lovie) does when she wants to mate! lol maybe she wants to have babies with Roma XD and Hannah has laid eggs so i know she is a she :p

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
She has not formally met Roma just yet and we have only had her 5 days. She was doing this when my 20 year old son would come up to the cage to talk to her! :eek:

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
aww she is asking him to mate with her LOL! Does she open her wings? cause thats the presentation like saying im ready to mate i want to have babies with you LOL! XD Baylee used to present to me when i touched her wings then i learned to not touch anything but the head,neck or feet. She stopped doing that and regurgitating to me once i learned to only touch the head,neck or feet! She bonded to your son! Even without him noticing!

Parrots only 'present' to their mate be it human or animal.

<3beako<3

Checking out the neighborhood
We just got the GCC sexed at the vet- definitely a girl. It's the new pineapple that's doing the weird butt up tail down wings shivering deal (and this bird is supposedly a male, but I can't say for sure)...

pajarita

Walking the driveway
Well, if she is keeping her tail down, she is not presenting so I doubt this is a breeding behavior... sounds like what I call the 'pretty please with sugar on top' which they do when they are babies and ask for food but, when adults, they do it as a way of winning you over. If the bird is a baby or a juvenile, it might be hungry - they do revert a bit when moved to a strange house.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Sounds like hormones to me. I have males that will do something similar to the girls but with their tails down and make the same sounds the females do when they have their butts up. I always thought my sun conure was a boy because she rubs on stuff...then the eggs broke that illusion.

Stitchy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chris
In Stitchy's case, it is like he is turning his back on us and throwing a three hour tantrum! :wideyed: If we have time to let him out, he quiets right down and the only time he does this behavior is in the morning. He sure can screech loudly! I have tried to take a picture of him but as soon as he realizes what I am up to he stops and looks at me like "ummmm, what do you think you are doing?" :lol:

BeakyBird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ashley
I used to call it the point. My Sun Conure, Gracie used to stand on her cage and shake her wings and point at you pretty much until you came over and picked her up. Aside from that I never saw her do it.

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
Cheeko does this when he's overly excited. He's a DNA'd male so it's not strictly a female thing.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Had to read this thread and some of the responses a couple of times.... but I'm going to take a while guess and say it's probably begging behavior!

It could be hormones, but after rereading the information, I think it's begging behavior. Birds may hunker down (lowering the front end of their body will result in their rear end going up!), lean in the direction they want to go, and quiver their wings. The more excited or determined they are to get to where they want to go, the harder the wings will quiver or shake, which may even lead to full flapping.

The "butt up" threw me off and made me think of hormones first. If it is indeed begging behavior, then you might try allowing him to go wherever it is that he "points" his body to and see if the behavior continues or stops.

Wolf

Jogging around the block
I would also have to go with begging behavior and would try offering some soft food.