• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby lovebird

Crazy4parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Flock means protection...Without it he might NOT survive alone :/ plus he is still a baby he might not know yet what is a hawk... Even If he saw one :( If he was an adult lovie i would say free him But he is a baby. You wouldnt leave a toddler child wondering in the Woods by himself.
Its the Same Just because he wilder doesnt mean he have the skills to survive it just means that physically he is fine!
Parents have to teach him that a Hawk is Bad and that he have to hide and be quiet!

Last edited:

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Okay, I wont let him go. I'll keep waiting. I just feel so bad for him.

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
I hope his flock comes back soon. :hug8:
Thank you for looking after him in the meantime.

I'd say, if you don't want to keep him any longer because of your own flock try animal control... but since lovebirds are non-native I don't think they'd help and maybe even euthanize him. You could ask though, they may even try to adopt him out since he's a baby. I doubt they would release him, they probably can't even if they want to (because the invasive species thing.)

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Invasive animals in FL get euthanized:( If You call animal control they probably will euthanize him! :/ i think its best to try and get him to a loving & permanent home.

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Well I still have the little guy. He is doing great, but I feel so bad for him.

I have people working on the pool and patio. They told me this AM that the lovebirds were back while I was at work yesterday. I am a little bit incredulous as I did not see them all weekend and they were not there this AM or yesterday AM. It must be hell for the little guy to hear them and see them if this is true. I am off tomorrow afternoon, so I will vigilantly look for them.

Tonight I will move him to a bigger cage. I did not expect to have him this long. Hopefully, his family will be by tomorrow.

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Thank you for asking.

He is still at the house. The contractors in the back yard said they have not seen the lovebirds. If they dont come by after this weekend, I will give up on it. I have to say that he is just the cutest little thing and definitely has personality.

I feel obligated to provide him with as excellent a home as he can have in captivity. He needs to be able to fly and he cant do that in my house. He will fly into the glass.

QBird

Jogging around the block
Glass is only an issue when the birds do not know it is there, you can introduce him to glass carefully so he can see it is there, or even some nets on the windows would let a little bird see that he cannot fly through it ;)
Looks like this little guy hit the right window :)

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Yes QBird is right! There are window stickers for birds to learn that there is a glass. And You can put curtains there. I think he is a keeper lol!

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Thanks guys! I do have the window stickers up and he still hit it. :( I even have blue painters tape all over the glass. Maybe I will just wait and see how things pan out. It would cost a fortune to put curtains up, plus I dont want them. This is the amt. of glass that I have:

QBird

Jogging around the block
Wow, :faint: I want you house :D
but I do see what you mean, you could always introduce him to the glass birds do remember when they know it is there.
Nets would just spoil the view and the effect

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
THanks guys! It's a mid century modern home. I do enjoy it, but trust me - you DONT want this house! It's a money pit!

I dont know about learning where glass is - my parakeets never learned. I cant let them out anymore. It was so traumatic to see them hit it. Maybe at night I could let him out. But I think he really needs to be with other lovebirds. I'll wait and see what happens this weekend.

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
Oh I so so so wish I lived by you! I would love to give the little one a great home with my Pickles!!!

Collage 2015-01-24 20_54_47.jpg

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Thank you Beanurita. Unfortunately, I'm in Arizona. :(