• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What is the best source of calcium for best egg shell formation.

Blupogu

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Please let me know the best source of calcium for breeding birds

ashbirdlady

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Christa
Not a breeder but there are plenty of high calcium foods you can offer that should help.
For example:
Bok Choy
Kale
Almonds
Oranges
Turnip Greens
Sesame Seeds
Just to name a few.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Preferred foods according to Ben are bok choy, almonds, brocolli (on occasion) and oranges. He eats others but these are ones he eats consistantly

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I add the calcium powderdirectly as a supplement to soft foods

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I use liquid coral calcium as well as offering calcium rich foods and cuttlebone. That way I'm covered,,,, ;)

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I use cuddle bone for small bird species. For larger parrots, sometimes I scrape a little bit of cuddle bone over their soft food. Also use a vitamin/mineral supplement right before and during egg laying. Keep in mind that vitamin D3 is just as important as calcium because it allows the body to absorb the calcium that is consumed. If you feed a lot of pellets, or keep the bird outside, then you probably do not want to supplement much with vitamin D3. However, if seed makes up a large component of your bird's diet and it isn't allowed outside much, then you might consider LIGHTLY supplementing with D3 immediately before and during laying. Because my birds are inside but about a third of their diet comes from pellets, I do a vitamin supplement once a week or less during the off season and when I think a hen is going to start laying soon, I supplement with half the recommended dose every other day. Obviously, its good to vet your bird periodically when it isn't in hormone mode in order to get a good idea of its blood calcium levels and just how concerned you need to be about supplements. More isn't necessarily better as D3 is important but can be toxic if overdone.

pajarita

Walking the driveway
Actually, blood calcium levels are pretty useless because even if there is a deficiency, you would still get good values, you need an ionized calcium test.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Please let me know the best source of calcium for breeding birds
Best sources of calcium are going to be catalytic types, like crushed egg shell, and cuddle bone.

I use the above, plus fresh foods, and a supplement for conditioning before breeding. It is not just about the egg shells, but about the pair breeding, and about the embryo.

For breeding you need fat, protein, calcium and vitamin A (among other things).

Calcium does NOTHING if it the vessel doesn't have adequate vitamin D (3) from natural sunlight. I can't stress this enough.
Get a UV light- sunlight through a panel glass window is not sufficient.

Gypsy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Denise
If you are supplementing, is there a possibility of giving too much and creating other problems?

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
If you are supplementing, is there a possibility of giving too much and creating other problems?
It depends on the supplements and the current diet. I think it boils down to some simple factors:
The MAJORITY of bird in captivity are actually significantly deficient.
What are you feed now? how long have you been feeding this?
I provide Egg food (which has crushed egg shell- and is a absolute MUST before breeding) fresh produce and sprouted seed.
On days when i do not provide this mixture (every other day) I use a supplement in the water or food.

I analyzed finches dietary patterns in the wild in comparison to show breeders in captivity. Both avian would increase dietary consumption during the reproductive cycle (from copulation to egg laying). However the finches in captivity who were provided with increased supplementation had the best results. You must condition your birds for at least 1 month prior to copulation- otherwise you risk death of your parents, and the young.

The most common cases of clutch issues are calcium, iron, fat, protein and iodine deficiency, which is very easy to correct. I feed a balanced diet, complete with crushed sunflower seeds, sesame, kelp, broccoli, apricot, cooked beans and dark leafy greens, etc. But furthermore in preparation for breeding, my finches receive Bird Builder by Harrisons in the water on days when they don’t receive specific whole foods (egg food, sprouted seed and produce). I also give multivitamin supplement in my Egg Food by Laberfers.

Furthermore, soft shells or low clutches is often a calcium deficiency- however this does not mean to supplement with calcium. Vitamin D3 is absorbed through natural sunlight through the skin, and it is required for birds (and humans) to process calcium. If you are providing crushed shells and cuttlebone, you need to increase the sunlight by a UV light or moving your cage to sunny area.

I would worry less about over supplementation and be more concerned with your daily dietary considerations months prior to the first egg being laid....

:) (my studies are more closely related to the finches.... but I have experience breeding very large species as well)

Last edited:

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
I guess I will also give you a list specific to your question: Crushed shells and cuddle bone powder (not as high as people think and can have excess of sodium), specialized cheeses (read into this please), apricots (I believe this is just an amazing fruit) beans (best to cook all varieties first), bok choy, kale, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, dandelion greens (and other leafy greens). Processed soy and such things can cause digestive upset.

Try whole crack almonds- walnuts, hazelnuts, sesame seeds....they are a great source of calcium. Or mix a touch of Almond milk with the soft food (assuming they are providing a soft food).