• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

CAG (Zazu) with two bad legs (sad update #261)

fidsmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
So sorry to hear of loss of Zazu, He was quite special.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
i am so very sorry for the loss of your most perfect zazu.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So very sorry for your loss.

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
so sorry for your loss of Zazu.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
So sorry for your loss... :sadhug:

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so sorry :(

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:sad5:I'm so sorry for your loss.

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Im sorry that You lost Zazu :(

i have a splayed leg lovie named Kiwi who is now almost 2 years old( She have one splayed leg and a deformed leg 3 VETS had suggested me to put her down, She looked like Zazu when he was a baby, She have a splayed leg i tried with everything i read but after 8 weeks of age She pulled It out herself :/ and 5 minutes per day, but her both feet grabbed My fingers i made massages everyday and hydro therapy in both legs) and Even a breeder in a pet store that also said She was going to suffer. I had her when She was a baby always laying down in towells until the Vet (after seeing How much she had improved) said Take the towells out LET her climb because birds anatomy are NOT made to be laying down All the time You have to make her more active, At first i didnt followed the advice until Kiwi begun making holes in the towells so towells went out and She doesnt lay down anymore, unless She takes a nap!
Vet told me birds that are always laying down that position makes them prone to respiratory infections, kidney problems and muscle tone problems, so She told me one as a parront of a special Bird You have to make them move and fly (even If they are clipped like Kiwi is) She have problems landing but still She flies, and the only health problems She had once was mites.
She DOES have mild labourious breathing, but vet said It is because of her legs and the fact that She spend laying down since She hatched until around 3 months of age (thats when i took the towells out) which in lovies is not normal to pass that time laying down. So her lungs developped not 100% normal. but lately She is super active so i know She is fine. Laying down it's only ok If the bird is with eggs and such.
Shame i didnt saw this thread earlier. I saw most Pictures of Zazu were of him laying down and from what My vet said that is not good for any bird's condition! So only thing to do this time is learn from the experience and now know that there shouldnt be any towells Or fleece If they are in a cage let them explore, climb. Let the bird climb ALL to the top of the cage. Just because they are handicapped doesnt mean we Got to treat them like If they are fragile. Kiwi have thaught me that i USED to run to her every time She fell She bit me hard every time i went to help her! Like saying "mom i can do It" and She fell again and i was feeling sad thinking poor baby once i stopped running to help her She got Sweet! And She hangs from the top of the cage like ohhh and walks around like that. She still sometimes falls i check her make sure She is ok. She lets me know by climbing up again. This is how Kiwi learned to stand. Also by watching Baylee. image.jpg

Last edited:

Birdy_in_VT

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kurt
I'm not sure what we could have done even in hindsight. He would hang from one leg but I imagine that was quite hard for him.

We noticed the labored breathing and he would roll on his side but didn't know of any alternative. If we knew what we know now, we would try and do things differently, but during is short 4 years, he appeared happy, was very loving and really loved the one on one times with both my wife and myself.

Our hearts are still broken. I have tears streaming down my face as I type this.

Thanks again for all your support.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
:hug8:

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Zazu was wll loved and you made those years specdial. I am sorry for your loss

Birdy_in_VT

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kurt
I know this won't ever replace or even come close to how bonded we were with Zazu, but we've reserved a baby just hatched last week for my wife.
We got a 5yr old CAG a several months ago from a rescue that has totally owned me and doesn't respond to my wife. She is still devastated by Zazu's passing and I think this is the only way for her to heal. There is nothing like the love and intelligence of a grey.

Thanks again for all your caring thoughts and prayers.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I am so sorry. :(

firdy num num

Avenue Veteran