• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

All the Pros and CONS of RVing with parrots please?

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Should fumes from the RV or camper be of any concern? Thanks for sharing your experiences and know-how. Someone I know hopes to travel this way with his parrots when retirement arrives and wants to be prepared.

I know @Hankmacaw might have some insight?

Last edited:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I'm interested in answers too. Hubby dreams of this and I told him only if parrots can go.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
The expert here is ML. @Hankmacaw I'm sure she'll weigh in once she sees this thread.

Red Jasper

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Elizabeth
I have heard of people doing this and when their birds get used to it they ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT.
If an RV camper is in excellent working condition, it should pose no threat to the birds or any other animal.

Just make sure that you secure and lock everything up so that people from around the area do not have access to get in and "snoop" or possibly kidnap the children. Not everyone is familiar with parrots and people's curiousities tend to lend a hand to their forgetfullness of their manners.

:greet14: See ya have fuuuuuuun rolllin' like a rock star!!

:ekkief: :ekkiem: :ekkiem:
RJ & CRew

LADyver

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
We just returned from an RV trip last night. We travel with a one legged African Grey (that's a challenge in itself) and a Black Headed Caique. They LOVE it. Our trailer has a back deck, so we just roll out the grey and set the caique out and we're all happy campers. We close up the trailer once people start their campfires, and I'm going install a mount for our RabbitAir in the trailer to help get rid of the smoke quicker. Here's our setup for this weekend.....

Attachments

Tweet

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jacklyn
I have traveled with Sunny in the car cross country many of times, I would think it's the same as RVing. Carpet shouldn't be a problem, useless we involve poop. Just be careful with them getting out, 5x's easier I have found for them to escape. Take pic's I would love to see them! :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
By LADyver - "We close up the trailer once people start their campfires, and I'm going install a mount for our RabbitAir in the trailer to help get rid of the smoke quicker. "

I didn't stay in RV parks all that often ( my motorhome is fully contained), but I was always careful that the park I stayed in didn't have campfires, or that I could stay in a section without campfires. I was particularly attentive because both of my birds had damaged lungs and smoke was terrible for them. And I always had an air purifier in the motorhome.

LADyver

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
We have a toy hauler and are also fully contained, but I prefer campgrounds with hookups because I enjoy long showers (need lots of water and a dump) and electricity without having to run the generator. We can run off the batteries for a few days if we don't run the AC, but in Southern California, we usually need the AC! We have three ACs on our rig and the garage has its own. To run the AC we either need to be hooked up or running the generator. The fumes coming from the generator when it's running is just as bad for the birds as the campfire smoke when we have our back deck down for them, depending how the wind blows. For my own birds, I don't avoid campgrounds with campfires because we can seal up the garage of our toy hauler completely. It has it's own door, so even when we're walking in and out of the trailer and bringing the smokiness in with us, the smoke isn't getting into the garage (aka bird room). We have a sliding glass door between the living area and the garage, so we can easily see what's going on in there.