• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Favorite Toys for your GCC?

Stitchy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chris
Do any of your GCC's have a favorite toy? Stitchy is very picky about toys so far, his favorite one is some kind of rubbery strands with shells attached and a bell on it. We have been through 3 of them already because he keeps at it for hours on end. Now I can't find them anywhere and he pays no attention to the other toys in there. :( I have a variety, some with crinkly paper, some with wood, a round rope swing which he won't even go near. Ideas would be welcome! :)

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Roma like tearing up balsa and yucca. I also threw some beads in a tic tac container and he is liking throwing that around his cage. It makes lots of rattle sounds as it hits the bars, floor, bottom of cage...... :lol:

Lo_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
So far Ollie isn't that picky. He really enjoys vine and plastic straws! But he will also play with bells, mirrors, chew on wood, play on his boing. I will say that he doesn't have too much interest in finger traps though. Hope any of that helped!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Cupcake liners, paper, balsa, cork, yucca are favorites here. Sometimes it takes awhile for them to play with something...it will sit for weeks and then all the sudden gone in a day. Oh and jingle things.

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yucca is a cactus-like plant material that birds like to shred up.

Here's a popular toy with yucca:

Balsa is a very soft wood, good for small birds to shred up. IGAW has a lot of toys made of balsa under their "balsa" category of their shop.

Stitchy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chris
Haha, I actually had one of those! 'Had' because Stitchy loved it and tore it to pieces!!! I was just looking on one of the sites from a member, soooo many things I want to try! And hubby and I agreed that our little guy needs a bigger cage so I will order one over the weekend. So excited! :D

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Ann

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
The easy chew section from things 4 wings is awesome for cheekies. Mine also love igotawoody stuff...although with 10 I usually make my own stuff more often than not. :)

Stitchy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chris
Love the website Calibird!!! I wish I knew how to make the toys, I see some things on there that I think Stitchy might like! I will have to surf around for instructions tomorrow after work :)

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
There is a FB group devoted to toy making....where I recently learned to make cupcake puffs. Facebook

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Ann
Love the website Calibird!!! I wish I knew how to make the toys, I see some things on there that I think Stitchy might like! I will have to surf around for instructions tomorrow after work :)
Start with a Stainless Steel Skewer or one of our premade chainbases with the 1.6mm Nickel Plated Chain. Pick out a few things and just put them on the skewer or chainbase. It doesn't have to be amazing to look at as long as your bird loves it. Over time you will learn what your bird likes.

WeasleyLover

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
My Green Cheek Peatree loves toys with finger traps, cupcake papers, and thin wood. She also loves anything she can shake around and make noise with, like bells! My other two, Honey and Precious, like toys that they can pull stuff out of, like crinkly paper, shredder toys, and thinner wood toys.