• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

hi, please help

pajarita

Walking the driveway
Sprouts are very nutritious but they are also quite high in protein and ekkies do better with lower than higher protein PLUS she has been eating a diet with protein WAAAAAY too high (all those dried seeds) so I would recommend you put her on a low protein diet (and that means no pellets whatsoever because, with them, you simply do NOT know how much is in there -look at the nutritional labels, they are all 'min' or 'greater than', never a specific amount). Get yourself some oat groats, hulled barley, kamut and different rices (I use black japonica, red Himalayan and some medium brown), cook them al dente and mix with cooked and finely chopped veggies (corn, peas, carrots, broccoli, hominy).

brummy sue

Moving in
Pellets already stopped Oats and barley ordered, got rice's, she isn't keen on rice cooked, is uncooked ok to carry on with? have been looking at cages and wondered what people think of this http://www.cagesworld.co.uk/p/Rainforest_Cages _RC_Ara_1_Antique_Cage.htm ? internal sizes 97cm wide, 87cm deep, 162cm high..... I think her current cage is a liberta Cortes, poor girl was trying to bathe in her 4" water bowl today, just pitiful

brummy sue

Moving in
I have offered her a pan of water to bathe in at the bottom of her cage 10" water the same as her drinking water in case she tried to drink from it but she just stared at it :/ have removed her cuttle fish temporarily as she ate half of it last night O.O
I do belive her feathers are slightly shinier and lying better from the misting already, tho maybe I'm imagining it, boy does she hate misting, even from 2ft above , I don't think she's ever had misting or bathing facilitys before

I think the ara 1 is 81 deep not 87, typo on their specs pdf

Last edited:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
With my amazons I used a spray bottle. I sat in the floor in front of them and pointed the bottle up in the air above their heads and let the mist fall down gently.

brummy sue

Moving in
Hi, :) that's what I'm doing too, only standing and misting when she's on top of her cage lol, spraying it above and letting it rain... its the noise the spray makes that she hates tho lol , its just a v quiet 'pfft' sound but she just doesn't like it as she's still very unsure. She's been quite neglected and only been with me 4 days, she's not used to TLC sadly

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hi, :) that's what I'm doing too, only standing and misting when she's on top of her cage lol, spraying it above and letting it rain... its the noise the spray makes that she hates tho lol , its just a v quiet 'pfft' sound but she just doesn't like it as she's still very unsure. She's been quite neglected and only been with me 4 days, she's not used to TLC sadly
yeah I can easily see how she would be scared. 4 days is like a blink of our time. My zons have been here over 3 years now and I can honestly say that I'm starting to see a change in their attitudes now.

Vulpeste

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Caroline
Hi there, I was following this thread with great interest, any update on the little girl?