• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Work Situation

Pentameter

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lucy
GAH.

So I work at a pet store; it's a chain, but not a giant one (mostly on the eastern half of the country). We regularly get birds from Barney's Bird Farm... aside from really terrible wing clips, the birds have no major issues. Some of them have had bacterial and fungal infections, but that's common in young birds (not an excuse, of course) from big farms.

They got a crate of parakeets today, before my shift. I got there at 4 pm to find a very tiny baby budgie with a broken leg. He wasn't putting any weight on it. I put him in his own cage with a couple toys, some food and water and millet spray. He's so young; head bars all the way to his bright cere, even a bit of black on his beak still. I don't know if the store will pay for the vet bills he needs; usually they take sick animals to the vet (our local avian vet, who's fantastic) but I'm unsure if they'll think he's worth saving. I left a note telling tomorrow's animal care person to call me if the store was going to put up a stink about it, but I am not sure if anyone will listen. I'm not sure if I can convince them his life is worth saving. There's a chance the vet might think his quality of life wouldn't warrant anything other than euthanasia, and in that case, at least he'll be free of pain. But I've seen birds with broken legs recover, and he's so young...

I guess I'm just posting this to remind everyone that pet stores are businesses and sometimes the bottom line means more than a little bird's life. I don't know what will happen to the little one. I've bought birds from pet stores before, but now... I was feeling guilty about supporting questionable things with my money prior to this moment, but I doubt I'll ever buy a bird from this store or any other store that gets their birds from BBF again.

If I can get them to cover at least a psittacosis test and gram stain, I might try and get them to surrender him to me. Unfortunately there's legal hoops to jump through and they don't like making exceptions.

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
If I was there and you told me which one, I would buy him/her for you in a heartbeat. :cool:

Pentameter

Real Name
Lucy
Oh believe me, it took every ounce of strength I have not to take him home with me tonight. I have two birds at home right now and I worry what he might be carrying (Zorro came from the same bird farm and was psittacosis and polyomavirus free, but there's no guarantee these birds are, too)... my wish is that they will take the bird to the vet and at least get a gram stain done, and maybe splint the wounded leg.

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Seems that it always comes down to the bottom line, money.. I was involved with greyhound rescue for many years, you would be surprised and disgusted what they go thru. Example, it is a money business and that's the way they are looked upon. If a grey breaks his leg while running he is immediately put down, if the dog doesn't show potential for the track, they are put down. The stories go on and on. Alot of owners would not let a dog be adopted but now there are so many greys it's impossible to get them all adopted. My husband and I had as many as 9 crates in the dining room, they stayed out of the crates in the afternoon and crates at night. I don't mean to get on my soapbox but it just upsets me to see a pet that is considered a throw away. :cool:

Pentameter

Real Name
Lucy
It upsets me, too. The worst thing is that employees like me (who are on the bottom of the totem pole) complain and it's white noise. I asked if we could switch to paper bedding instead of feline pine bedding for the birds at the store and was yelled at because "we have to do things a certain way." I got yelled at for giving our bunnies and guinea pigs toys. Even if a manager wants to do the right thing they're constrained by company rules.

The pet industry is a hard place to work if you're a bird lover. I'm hoping I get into vet school within the year so I can quit in the fall and move on :c

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I've bought birds from pet stores before, but now... I was feeling guilty about supporting questionable things with my money prior to this moment, but I doubt I'll ever buy a bird from this store or any other store that gets their birds from BBF again.

Oh little naive one. Complaining about a situation while you are actively participating in helping this business thrive (because you work for them) is more than just a little hypocritical. You're missing the big picture completely.

I understand this bird's predicament because it is the norm. Not the exception. Very sad but reality.

Pentameter

Real Name
Lucy
Yes, I work for them. I hopefully won't be for much longer. I don't think it's very kind of you to call me naive, especially when I know very well what the situation is. If I was able to find employment elsewhere at the moment, I would do so. In a heartbeat.

I have fought tooth and nail at my job to better educate customers and point them to better ways of doing things. I have actively sent customers elsewhere to get better cages, food, etc and have campaigned for rescues as much as possible (telling customers to get their birds from rescues instead). I don't send any customer who purchases bird supplies home without asking if they know about our local avian vet. I have directed multiple people HERE for information. It's not just birds, either. I've been converting the store's reptiles onto healthy foods (collards, mustard greens, etc) instead of the lettuce mix they were eating before. And yes, I've got in trouble for being caught advising others to look elsewhere for their animals' needs... I've been yelled at by my managers for attempting to make things better. Yeah.

I took this job to help pay off my student loans. Again, if I had found work elsewhere I would not be in this position. I have pets to feed and provide vet care for, just like you. While I am working there I am doing everything I can to help the animals that are there and educate people who come through the door. My hope is to one day be an avian and exotics vet so I can actually make the lives of birds and other animals better in a way that's not feeding a broken, awful system.

I am not missing the big picture. I see the big picture up close and it makes me very sad. I posted this to remind others not to support these businesses by buying live animals from them. I would hope my testimony would help convince those who don't see any harm in any of it. I also needed to vent to people who would understand why the life of a single budgie would mean so much to me.

I would like nothing better than to be able to quit this job tomorrow. Believe me, after today, I was close to doing so. It's unfortunately not an option right now. If you think the reality of the pet industry does not haunt me, then you're wrong.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I understand completely and glad you're actively pursuing to get out of there. This is the place to rant and I'm glad you did.

sonja

Jogging around the block
Aren't they required by law to get the bird treatment, or at least humane euthanasia?
If they just let him suffer until he dies, I would have to report them.

Pentameter

Real Name
Lucy
I spoke to my avian vet this morning. I can call in an "anonymous" complaint to the vet and the vet can talk to the store. I'm going back to work this evening for a few hours and will check on the birdie then (they did not even call to ask what they should do or to schedule and appt... even when I TOLD THEM he needed to be seen). Between my vet and I, we're not gonna let this pass unnoticed.

Unfortunately I don't think I can pay for his care right now, but the vet knows me and knows I'm an aspiring vet, so she may work with me. We had an emergency come up this morning with Zorro and so have a little less leeway than we'd like.

Apologies if I sounded angry last night. I was angry, but not at anyone here. Just at a system I'm unfortunately stuck in for the time being.

Pentameter

Real Name
Lucy
OK Update:

So the budgie is still alive, and still stable. He's eating, drinking and pooping normally. I gave him a ladder to perch on (his cage does not have perches) and he climbs up the thing, in spite of his poor foot. It's tough for him to get around, but he's a fighter! I'm hoping he'll hang in there until Monday and they'll finally take him to the vet. I am glad to have moved him, since he now doesn't need to compete with other budgies for food.

Pentameter

Real Name
Lucy
So, possibly sad update... the budgie was not there when I went to work today (the other animal care person says he was yesterday when she left at 11 am). He did not die as far as she is aware, so he's possibly been taken to the vet. They may have kept him overnight or he may have been euthanized. I am going to find out which it is tomorrow. I had told them if the bird could be treated but they did not want to pay that I would, but they tend to ignore my suggestions -_-

At least he's been seen by the vet now. Poor thing. Just a reminder that the bottom line will always matter more than the lives of the animals these pet stores carry. If I could quit tomorrow, I'd do it. I'm so fed up with them ignoring my suggestions and backtracking on progress I've made. I introduced the reptiles to healthy greens (collards, mustards, etc) and they're back on lettuce and spinach now (both no-nos) because the other animal care girl doesn't think they were eating the good greens (they were.) Don't even get me started on the live feeder rats and mice (which should not be sold period)... I intend to complain to the higher-ups in the company as soon as possible. Hopefully I will get an acceptance letter in the next few months and be able to get into school for a job that actually helps animals.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
PM me if I can help if your little one is still around.

Pentameter

Real Name
Lucy
GOOD NEWS! The budgie is both still alive and doing better! They finally took him to the vet and the vet kept him overnight; he doesn't have a broken leg but injured it somehow, so he's on pain meds for the time being :) He was already putting weight on it. I am going to find out if he had a gram stain, etc, done or not.