• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sun Conure Breeding Environment

Poncho

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Karin
Hi there

I am starting to breed with Sun Conures and have found quite a bit on the internet, but there are just one thing that I am not quite sure about. I know that there are some species that needs privacy and seclusion in order to breed. Is this also the case for Sun Conures? Should the cages be fairly secluded and private?

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
bump :)

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I don't believe suns need as much privacy as some of the more nervous birds like greys. But, a lot also depends on how tame/used to people they are and how much time they have had to settle in.
Very shy or nervous birds need more privacy so they feel safe and secure, and so they do not become startled on the nest and break eggs or injure babies accidentally. If the parents are tame, they may or may not become territorial of the nest, but will most likely not be bothered by people coming by to feed and do basic maintenance.
A few years ago, I even read about someone who had great success with co-parenting sun conures. She had a good relationship with the parents, and they didn't just allow her to handle and play with the babies, but actually enjoyed it. She could easily handle and play with parent sun conures while handling the babies, which works great for everyone as the babies learned to completely trust people from their parents. But of course, many pairs, even normally tame pairs, are not so accepting of people handling babies.