• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I am hopping DELIGHTED!

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
With 8 caiques and none of them keen on hopping, I have been watching and waiting and hoping that one of them would start displaying this beheaviour so I could reward and encourage it.

Over Xmas I decided that I'm tired waiting and began target training Igor and Bam_Bam. They love the training, but so far will only hop from one knee to another, or back and forth from one cushion to the couch. I think they dont know what I expect of them on a flat surface. They will get there, but I think over a couple of months.

So today lunchtime, I placed a soft cover on the bed, let Booboo out to stretch his wings. Then after ten minutes exercise, began his training. I remembered Sally Blanchard used to hold Spike like a wind up toy, and bounce him gently till he got the idea.

Magnificent, Booboo already has no problem being handled. Picked him up, bounced him gently one time, then forward gently hopping, letting his feet touch the bed and knees bend, then forward again, saying Hop Hop Hop.

Felt STRONG pushback from those bigbird legs. Otherwise calm. Could it BE? Am I having another Christmas?

Gave him HUGE praise and excitement. Placed him at the end of the bed. Said come to Papa, and held out my hand. He hopped ALL THE LENGTH OF THE BED to get to me.

FANTASTIC! And he repeated it several times. Didn't even have a reward in my hand to reinforce it.

MMMM The videos. Maybe a caique hopping race when Igor and Bam-Bam are up to speed?

HEHE
BBTUE3.jpg

Last edited:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
That sounds so cute! What a smart little boy! :laughing12:

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Caiques hopping are so darn cute cute cute. Just love watching them.

You really need to see a Scarlet hop though and mine makes sound effects as well. :p

bicmeister

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Bichlien
thats great! i've always found birds hopping on command to be super cute!

Mitzi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle "Mitzi"
My BHC has never been a hopper, he would rather just run or walk where he needs to go. I wish he would hop, but a no go for him!

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Oh, forgot to say....I think I need to have the baby!

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
My BHC has never been a hopper, he would rather just run or walk where he needs to go. I wish he would hop, but a no go for him!
yes its a long haul to get a non hopper to hop. Bam-Bam and Igor are getting there slowly

GreenEyes

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Odile
Moochie loves to hop when she is happy and loves to surf any time she feels like it.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
What a cutie pie smarty pants.

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Hopefully Larry will learn to hop hop hop. :heart:
Not all caiques hop regularly. best way to see if Larry is a hopper is use some lively music and clap along. What does he do when he's excited?

CrestieLover

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ellen
Not sure yet what he does when excited. He's still very calm & reserved.