• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Indian Ringneck Bluffing

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Claire, I wholeheartedly agree with you! I do not like this article on bluffing at all! You could easily take out "ringneck" and insert "macaw", since macaws are another species "known for bluffing".

Ignoring the bluff is failing to learn how to communicate with your bird and could potentially lead to 'biting out of the blue', if a bird decides not to warn you first!

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Caiques dont bluff.

There is a warning lunge first ( if they REALLY like you). This is not a bluff. It is a precursor to step 2, where you lose some meat!

CheekyBeaks

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ann-Marie
I agree with you too Claire, I don't buy into the bluffing stages at all, if they look like they want to bite there is a reason behind it and the owner/handler needs to take notice not just fob the behaviour off as bluffing.

Lalela

Checking out the neighborhood
My blue one is going thru bluffing, but my albino isn't... they are siblings, which I finished handfeeding, and they gradually weaned themselves with the different foods I offered, and wanted the "baby bottle" (syringe) less and less. My cockatiel even went thru a stage of aggression that passed. I think they're like toddlers testing their boundaries, just "practicing" defending themselves as they would instinctually in the wild. They're just trying to show you that they're a tough guy, and when they're done with this phase, they're back to cuddly babies.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
My blue one is going thru bluffing, but my albino isn't... they are siblings, which I finished handfeeding, and they gradually weaned themselves with the different foods I offered, and wanted the "baby bottle" (syringe) less and less. My cockatiel even went thru a stage of aggression that passed. I think they're like toddlers testing their boundaries, just "practicing" defending themselves as they would instinctually in the wild. They're just trying to show you that they're a tough guy, and when they're done with this phase, they're back to cuddly babies.

Please read this article.

Barbara's Force Free Animal Training Talk: Do Animals Bluff?