• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking at lights with Kiwi!

Kiwibird08

Jogging around the block
As many of you can tell, I am all about getting Kiwi out to 'see the world'. I think enriching him in a variety of ways increases his confidence, intelligence, bond with us and makes his life more interesting. I also think experiences like this make him not fear things like many birds do. To be clear, it's a beautiful night here in Portland, no wind or rain, 47 degrees out and we pre-warmed up the car. We went out for about 1/2 hour with Kiwi (in his bird backpack) in the warm car driving around and looking at lights. He was SO happy! Busted out his full range on noises (which he does when happy), and even started up a round of the whistle game:D We reinforced the positive experience with some cashew bits. He rarely comes out at night and paired with all the lights (and his love of being in the car) it was a very exciting experience for him! Not sure too many people are able to do this with their birds due to the cold this time of year in many areas, but if you live in an area with reasonable weather and have car-ride lover(s) I highly recommend trying it out as an enjoyable new experience for you and your birdie(s)!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
aww, that's wonderful! :xflove:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I need to work on this with my guys. They're still apprehensive about travel cages - but the last few trips have not resulted in the vet!

Kiwibird08

Jogging around the block
It's always important IMO to work with birds to increase confidence and reduce fear. Why not make those travel cages into birdie play areas they can explore and make positive associations with daily instead of "the ominous crate only brought out for visits to that stranger who manhandles me"? Kiwi's backpack and travel cage are in his area and he plays in both regularly. They are 'fun' places to be, at home or away:)

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Can you tell Hubby that it's okay for me to like, totally turn the kitchen/dining/public area into an amazon play hut? :hehe:

I do agree with you. I need to make more effort.

Kiwibird08

Jogging around the block
Can you tell Hubby that it's okay for me to like, totally turn the kitchen/dining/public area into an amazon play hut? :hehe:

I do agree with you. I need to make more effort.
Naturally I have no idea how your house is laid out or where your birds are or space constraints, but I just keep the cage/backpack within climbing distance of his play tree, almost like an extension of his play area:) (way over in the right corner). Not the height of interior design going on, but he likes all his stuff 'grouped' together so he can climb to all his favorite hangout spots (since he doesn't fly). I leave the backpack unzipped, but he can easily open the door of the little travel cage when he wants to go in there. He likes to nap in his backpack. It's pretty cute:D

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Naturally I have no idea how your house is laid out or where your birds are or space constraints, but I just keep the cage/backpack within climbing distance of his play tree, almost like an extension of his play area:) (way over in the right corner). Not the height of interior design going on, but he likes all his stuff 'grouped' together so he can climb to all his favorite hangout spots (since he doesn't fly). I leave the backpack unzipped, but he can easily open the door of the little travel cage when he wants to go in there. He likes to nap in his backpack. It's pretty cute:D

Bless you! I get it now! May have to try doing something along those lines for Secret and MC when I have them out during the day . . . .