• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Which Pellets?

Rowdy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hope
Every bird in my flock has been eating ZuPreem fruity pellets since they came into my home. However, I don't like the fact that there is added color or sugar in these pellet. The birds also tend to pick out their favorite colors and leave the rest. So I'm on a search to find a different pellet.

What do you like and recommend?

I really, really like what I see of the TOP's (previously known as Totally Organics) Crumplets, but I'm still trying to decide before I make any decisions. I looked on Amazon, and it would be cheaper for me to buy directly from the company. (No one sells TOP's locally). The price actually is pretty good. $12 for 3 lbs, which would last my three birds a while.
I emailed them nearly a week ago asking if I might possibly be able to get a sample, just to see in person what I'd be buying, but I haven't heard anything back yet.

I'm also looking into Roudybush (sold locally) and Harrison's (not sold locally).

-Rowdy

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
I feed all three so they have some diversity, but I would rank them in order like this to show which one I like best
Harrisons
Tops
RB

Mine like the Harrison's best out of all of them

Timmy&Crash

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rick
Our Quaker used to eat TOPS but all of a sudden stopped and wont touch them our TAG would never try tops, I have been trying RoudyBush but they will only eat some of them if I mix it in with their morning mash. They both eat the Harrisons well and it is by far in my opinion the best pellet for them. Tops and Harrisons are both organic but Harrisons has more nutrients in it We have also tried Golden Olbes from Golden feast but they have yet to eat more than a nibble of them.

Bird_lover6

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JoJo
My birds eat Rowdybush, Higgins Intune, and Zupreem Fruity. Their favorite brand seems to change every couple of weeks, though.

I don't want them to get accustomed to eating just one brand since it may become difficult to find, and I think eating a variety is probably healthier, anyway.

Timmy&Crash

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rick
I need to order some Intune want to try that I try and feed variety but some they just wont touch ...... so when you do try switching I recommend getting small bags or try and get free samples.
I know Roudy Bush sends out free samples

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Intune is fruity & has natural flavors & colors but still has some sweetness.

I got RB samples but he doesn't seem to it
Same thing for Harrisons doesn't seem to like it

Timmy&Crash

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rick
I am glad Harrisons are their preferred pellet but they get fresh fruits and veggies and a little good seed and nut mix and a homemade mash.

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm trying to switch Target away from fruity Zupreem too. Tried natural Zupreem, Zupreem nutblend, Roudybush, TOPs, Goldn'obles... all rejected!!

I did manage to switch Josie (who was originally on fruity Zupreem) to Roudybush. I've seemed to have the most success switching birds to Roudybush.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
IMO Harrison's and Roudybush are the best pellets on the market. Harrison's are more palatable to my GW and the Rowdybush is a lot more fun to shred into powder and drop on the floor.

ConureTiel

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I was throwing so much Harrison's away I quit trying it. Roudybush and Zupreem Natural are the two mine eat quite well.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
I feed Roudybush to my entire flock- plus some fruity zupreem- not much though. They eat a wide variety of foods, including birdy bread, mash, & fresh stuff. Cockatiels & parrotlet get more seeds than the rest of the flock though

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Intune's 4th or 5th ingredient is listed as cane sugar.

Even though I feed my fids Harrison's, the only ones that eat it are my 3 conures and my eclectus. The others will only eat it if it's transformed somehow, such as in home made birdie bread.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
I can't get Sherbie to eat any pellets except for Zupreem natural and Roudybush. I mix the two and sometimes also give it out as a training reward.

I ordered TOPs but I guess I got a bigger size than I intended. These things are WAY too big for Sherbie. He could in theory eat them but he really prefers crumb-sized pellets.

firdy num num

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Eden
I have heard that some birds who eat ZuPreem fruity pellets only choose the interesting colours, which is why I didn't buy them. :wacky: I personally choose Vetafarm Maintenance diet pellets, my birds love it and they weren't too picky about it either. :) I was thinking of switching to Roudybush but my birds are sticking to vetafarm and don't want anything else which is wierd :eek: I agree, I think that ZuPreem fruity pellets also have colourings and sugars but I am totally not sure! So just ignore me for now. :rolleyes:

QBird

Jogging around the block
I use Harrisons (to be honest I have difficulty getting that sometimes and choice is not something I am lucky enough to have here) that being said Harrisons is great once the birds get used to eating it.

CheekyBeaks

Real Name
Ann-Marie
I use vetafarm and Hagen tropican, I've tried roudybush in the past and all but two birds completely refused to eat it, I know several breeders who don't consider it a good brand and won't use it. I have been told it was developed testing it on cockatiels so it may be ideal for them but may not be the best choice of other species.
I also don't like the sugar content in Zupreem, there seems to be a zupreem craze in Australia at the moment and so many breeders and owners switching to it but the sugar puts me right off.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Mine get Roudybush California as their staple. For variety, I also offer InTune and Caitec Oven Bites, which mine adore. I offer Harrison's Pepper when I get home a few hours before they get their chop/fresh food or on a play stand. That is the only time they'll eat it. Otherwise, it goes to waste here. A pellet can be the greatest base nutrition in the world, but if the bird won't eat it, it's worthless. Having said that, I should also point out that after 8 to 10 years of Zupreem addiction, my DYA finally switched to the Roudybush. Their tastes change, plus birds are leery of trying new foods.

pinkdagger

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Michelle
My lovies get Roudybush maintenance as their primary diet (meaning that's the one they get most consistently regularly), but they also get Zupreem Avian Entrees Garden Goodness, and when that bag is all gone, I have a bag of Zupreem Naturals at the ready. They also get Harrison's high potency, TOPs, and Goldenobles once in a while. Currently Roudybush seems to have suspended their production of Rice Diet, so I'm not feeding that regularly until it comes back into stock.

I try not to bank on any single food being the "best", but letting them choose and offering a variety so they learn to be more adaptable with foods in case - as in the example with Rice Diet - one food goes out of stock, or is discontinued permanently, or has its recipe changed to something either you or the birds disapprove of.

I ordered TOPs but I guess I got a bigger size than I intended. These things are WAY too big for Sherbie. He could in theory eat them but he really prefers crumb-sized pellets.
When I first ordered TOPs, I got the huge ones too, so I break them into half or quarter size for the birds to pick at. It can take them a while to get interested in it, but they do pick at them here and there. When I finally got a hold of some crumplets, I stuck them in the freezer so at least I have peace of mind I won't have to buy those huge honkers for the next bag. :laugh:

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
Mine get Zupreem. They like it! That is progress. I dropped the fruity stuff though and use a mix of the veggies and the plain.
One Zon really only eats his seeds (we are converting to pellets). He has a bowl for pellets, seed, and fresh food. He loves his fresh veggies...not so much with the fruits.
One Zon puts his beak in the bowl of pellets and just does the Yummm sound the whole time he's eating pellets. I honestly haven't done anything with his seed bowl - besides to look in it - since last Sunday.
My Severe Macaw eats both. I will only refill his seed bowl every other day and only put enough in for a day. He eats pellets. I have a feeling he likes the seeds because they are on the side of the cage where I sit all the time. This weekend I may make a change to see if it makes a difference.

My vet says that Zupreem pellets are good.

MyAussieFriends

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
All of my guys get roudybush. They love it! I've had every single one of my birds eat it, and they've all been on seed diets before coming into my home. The budgies will practically lick their bowl clean!