• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent EGG BOUND BUDGIE

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Your vet will probably prescribe liquid calcium -- according to my vet, calcium from cuttlebone and other powdered forms are not as easily absorbed. As for vitamin d, is your bird on a pelleted diet? Most pellets (except for TOPs and Goldn'obles) have vitamin d added.

I'm glad your bird is doing better :hug8:

mindee77

Strolling the yard
Many prayers coming your way. We lost our little girl due to chronic egg laying. She was put on birth control every three weeks but we lost her she just got too sick. Please make sure she has enough calcium. My little girl was giving a prescription for Calcium. I hope she will stop laying eggs. Also putting her in the dark will help her to stop. :hug8:

Rain

Strolling the yard
Keeping you and your little one in my thoughts.

MyAussieFriends

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
Okay guys, so I just got back from the vet.

The vet went over her, and felt that there isn't any more eggs in there. I asked about providing some calcium shots, and she said she only prescribes the calcium shot if she feels like there is more eggs. She said that because she is on such a varied diet with fresh food, pellets and the seeds that she suspects that the binding occurred because there were two eggs instead of one coming out at once.

She commented on how healthy and strong Bonnie is. She said that because she is a very active, flighted bird that her muscles were particularly strong, which probably helped in passing the two bound eggs so easily.

When I asked about how to manage her pain, the vet mentioned metacam.

So I got a prescription of that for her two give for two days, once each day orally.

I've got to say, I am very impressed with this vet. When the bill came, it was only 90$, which to me seems pretty inexpensive. She seemed very knowledgeable and handled Bonnie with a lot of care. All of the staff were super nice, and I think I will be going to this vet from now on for all of my fids and pigs.

pajarita

Walking the driveway
Your vet will probably prescribe liquid calcium -- according to my vet, calcium from cuttlebone and other powdered forms are not as easily absorbed. As for vitamin d, is your bird on a pelleted diet? Most pellets (except for TOPs and Goldn'obles) have vitamin d added.

I'm glad your bird is doing better :hug8:

Birds on pellets with D3 and calcium still become eggbound - at least I know for a fact that birds on Harrison's do.

mindee77

Strolling the yard
:dancing:Yea hope she will get better soon. Way to go little girl. Prayers still coming your way.

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Birds on pellets with D3 and calcium still become eggbound - at least I know for a fact that birds on Harrison's do.
Yes, never said they do not, but the vitamin d there is better than no vitamin d at all :) Which would be the case here, in winter and at a high latitude.

Jazzy*

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
abbie
so happy to hear your little bonnie is doing much better and no more eggs for now :)

MyAussieFriends

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
Bonnie seems to be doing really well. Playing, singing, and eating. Giving her the medication was a lot easier than what I expected.

My boyfriend will be keeping an eye on her while I am out of town. He is listed as an emergency contact at the vet, so if something happens he will be able to bring her in.

I'm hoping this will be the last of Bonnie's egg laying adventures.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
i'm glad she is doing good.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8: :hug8: :hug8: :hug8: :hug8:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
So glad to hear Bonnie did well. Hope there will be no more problems with your little girl. :hug8:

RadhaVallabhi

Glad to hear she is doing better! Praying for her full recovery and steady health!

pajarita

Walking the driveway
Yes, never said they do not, but the vitamin d there is better than no vitamin d at all :) Which would be the case here, in winter and at a high latitude.
Granted that some is better than nothing but the problem is that people assume that feeding pellets is enough when it's not - and that's a very dangerous assumption. It's also more difficult for the keeper to judge how much avian calcium should be given if the bird is eating pellets than if it's not.

MyAussieFriends

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
Just a little update. My boyfriend is caring for the birds right now, because I am in Ottawa for Christmas. He has been updating me on everyone, especially Bonnie. Bonnie gets a little bit nervous whenever he first arrives, but she quickly calms down. According to him, there is no swelling in the vent area. Her tail bobbing has stopped. She has eaten, drank, and destroyed a toy. There is no hanging out in the bottom of the cage, and she seems alert, loud, and active.

He sent me a few snapchat pictures and videos, and from what I see, I agree with him that she looks really good. She even accepted her medicine from him yesterday!

Everyone else is doing really well.

I think she's going to be okay!

MyAussieFriends

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
Wow, I totally missed this post earlier - I'm very glad to hear she's alright and that you've found such a thorough vet to work with!
I always assumed that egg binding was a death sentence - I definitely hear more horror stories than stories like mine. Thankfully though, I dedicate huge amounts of my time reading on birds and here on AA so I was able to recognize what was happening and knew what steps to take.

And yeah, this vet was definitely the best I've ever gone to.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I always assumed that egg binding was a death sentence - I definitely hear more horror stories than stories like mine. Thankfully though, I dedicate huge amounts of my time reading on birds and here on AA so I was able to recognize what was happening and knew what steps to take.

And yeah, this vet was definitely the best I've ever gone to.

Great news

You & Bonnie are lucky those eggs came out when they did as for a small bird she may have not made it through the night to the vet the next day. I was reading it can be a death sentence without fast treatment. The hot steamy bathroom may have saved her as it says that relaxes the muscles. Espe ially as she had 2 eggs & one of them soft shelled which are very hard to pass. Yes incredibly lucky! Thank your lucky stars Bonnie is a strong bird.

:heart: :hug8: :heart: