• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

AvianSun 5.0, Reptile UV bulbs, oh my! - Full Spectrum Lighting

Rowdy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hope
I'm so confused.
I'm reading so much conflicting information on whether or not reptile uv bulbs are safe or not. Apparently, several members have used/are using/have suggested reptile lights 5.0 and under are safe (2.0 is too weak to bother with though and 10.0 do not use at all because they're too strong). And the AvianSun is just the ReptiGlo 5.0 re-packaged as a bird bulb??
And reptile lights 5.0 have the same specs and are the same strength as bird lights?? Others say they're both very different?
Some people have reported reptile bulbs as the cause of their bird's cataracts. So, to be honest, I'm wary of trying anything but featherlite, which seems to have good feedback.

I'm not able to get the FeatherLite bulb locally and I don't order online too often, but it seems like the best choice, at the moment.

Thoughts/Experiences?

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
i'm not sure, but good question. I've always heard not to use reptile bulbs so I'm surprised that the AvianSun is the same as a reptiGlo. Will be watching to see what others say