• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question about rehoming your bird.

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
As long as they still got their flight time, Bellatrix and Dobby would do just fine in another home.

With some time, I'm sure that Honey and Precious would do just fine in a new home. They are friendly birds, and they adjusted very well when they came to live with me.

Peatree and I are inseparable, and I don't think she would take it very well being without me. I think it would take a long time for her to adjust to a new home.

I think that Jester would be upset at first, but would adjust to a new home with time.

I hope and pray that I will never have to rehome any of my babies!

JAM

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
The lorikeets would need time to adapt, whilst they are playful natured birds they also come with bi-polar behaviour and idiosyncrocies. I think the scalies would adapt the best, Blue would need someone very patient and Red would need someone who is always looking out for the trouble he inevitably ends up in or creating.

The lovies were rehomed and it took a lot of soul searching to work out whether it was worse for them staying in a lorikeet dominated home where they stood chance of being maimed or killed if Red wasn't watched carefully and time rotations for out of cage time (covered when the lories were out) or to go to somewhere where they were the centre of attention.
A friend wanted lovebirds and was happy to see how ours went and it's been the best thing for them. They're out of the cage more often, they have a doting owner and family who love them to bits. They are the centrepiece and have reacted by becoming so much more social and vocal than they were around us.
So whilst I felt so bad for feeling like giving up on them, they're flourshing in a household that is for THEM and them only. :)

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
You know, I can't even think of it either even though I have thought about it from time to time. I think Reggie D2 and Clancy CAG would be the ones who would have the hardest time. Reggie just because he's so attached to me and Clancy just because it has taken so long for him to even establish any kind of trust with me. Tuchis TAG, the bird I've had the longest would probably bond with the right person and that person might be hard to find but I think that person is out there. The Amazons are wonderful and I think they would have an easy transition. The Rosies...well, Kishka is just being a bratty vampire right now. Sweet as pie one moment and a total snot the next but I think that's just the hormones. I think he'd do well with anyone who understood Cockatoos. Fozzie is probably the same way. So far he's been mostly an angel for us but I think he's probably a lot like Kish and we are still in the honeymoon period. Addison...she's a trip and still a baby and would once again do well with anyone who understands Cockatoos and is willing to take on a nonstop squeak attack who doesn't know how to stop moving!:) I guess the only other one I kind of worry about is Aspen CAG because he's also so bi-polar...wants to trust me but can't quite bring himself to. I forgot the Ekkies but as long as they stay together and end up with someone who will feed them and give them attention, they're good to go, they love everyone!

pajarita

Walking the driveway
The little ones (tiels, budgies, canaries, finches, cardinals, quails), some of the medium and large ones (GCC, peachfront, Redbelly, female sennie, jardine, jenday, 1 zon, CAG, TAG, LSC and Citron2) would do fine in a good home but the male senegal, the quaker and the other 5 zons would require a very special household. But, thankfully, I am not one to believe that I am the only one who can give them a good home... it's a matter of looking for it for as long as it takes until you find it. The problem is the criteria - because what most bird people consider a good home is not good enough for me (for example, I would never rehome them to somebody who fed pellets which is what most people do).

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ophelia could go to anyone; she's great with people and loves strangers, soo... :roflmao: Josie would have to go to someone who won't rehome due to biting because she loves to bite! BB will have to go with Josie, but he's very bonded to me and strongly dislikes strangers, so it'll have to be a pretty special person he likes. Target will have to go to a special person, too... someone who doesn't mind her moods and accepts that she is not a cuddly bird, likes to be on her own, etc. Target is touchable, but doesn't particularly like to be touched.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
pajarita said:
The little ones (tiels, budgies, canaries, finches, cardinals, quails), some of the medium and large ones (GCC, peachfront, Redbelly, female sennie, jardine, jenday, 1 zon, CAG, TAG, LSC and Citron2) would do fine in a good home but the male senegal, the quaker and the other 5 zons would require a very special household. But, thankfully, I am not one to believe that I am the only one who can give them a good home... it's a matter of looking for it for as long as it takes until you find it. The problem is the criteria - because what most bird people consider a good home is not good enough for me (for example, I would never rehome them to somebody who fed pellets which is what most people do).
Wow. Why no pellets? Or do you mean a strict pellet diet?

I feed pellets. But its not the only thing I feed my birds. Its a portion of their diet.

I dont consider myself a bad home.

I dont have the means to do a no pellet diet. There'd be no way I'd know if theyre getting a balanced diet or not. And even if what I provided them was 100% balanced, there's no way to determine if theyre eating correct portions of each to maintain a balanced diet.

IMO, there is no way to insure a balanced diet without healthy pellets. Not in captivity.

Last edited:

Aequa

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Caity
I've thought about this a lot since the flock dynamics have changed amongst my little ones. Once, Yoshi would likely not have handled rehoming, he was very attached to me. But he and Pepper have hit it off. So now if I rehomed them, it would be to an aviary only. I wouldn't want someone trying to 'tame them down' again, they aren't interested in people anymore, they just want each other and now and then, Yoshi wants a scratch or kiss from me. I think they would thrive in an aviary, more than they do with me.... which is why I'm still considering it ):
Lolly would adapt to any situation where she is the center of attention! She is a massive brat so she would need someone who knows what they're doing! She also prefers males.
Smokie would be more confusing. He is funny about who he likes and takes a long time to settle. That said, we pretty much are rehoming him :( he loves my mother in law's Quaker so darn much. He is a billion times happier with her than anything else.

Ok, I'm a bit of a softie, when I see the birds develop relationships, I can't bare to part them! Regardless of what I want. I'd rather they thrive! <3

Hrtofau2

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Summer
Thankfully for me, should something happen to myself or the hubby, both Boris and Ducky would remain with our children. Ducky is especially fond of my older daughter. Boris would likely go to my second oldest daughter as they seem to have a start of a relationship going. We are training the kids young to care for them when we get older. ;)