• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent EGG BOUND BUDGIE

Heather F

Rollerblading along the road
So glad it turned out okay! Take it easy. :hug8:

MyAussieFriends

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
I placed a perch in the cage she is in, and she seems to be very happy sitting there. She is even grinding her beak a little. She isn't puffed up. I notice she is checking her vent area out. I really hope there isn't any more eggs.

I called my boss and told her I have an emergency with my birds, and she completely understands. I really hope she doesn't think I'm lying, because it seems a little convienient that I just happen to have an emergency the day before vacation. I wonder if the vet will write me a note? Tonight is going to be a long one....

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Breathe, slow deep breath. the more freaked out you are, the more freaked out Bonnie will be. Do you have heating pad? and some type of thermometer? if so, get the heating pad warmed up, place the thermometer on top of the heating pad. it should read 95 to 100 dregrees. wrap the cage except the front panel with saran wrap plastic, tape it in place. put in a food dish on the floor, a jar cap will work for the food, make sure it's washed and dried. another jar cap washed and clean, for water. put a low perch in near the floor. place the cage on the heating pad, and cover with a dark blanket or towel. Cuttlebone, grate some of the white soft parts into the food. at least 1 teaspoon worth. you can use clean butter knife to scrape at the cuttlebone. keep her quiet and very warm until you can get to the vet. i would go to the vet in the morning ASAP. JMO.
do not put her back in with the other birds.
Sweet :tiel2: Pea's mom

MyAussieFriends

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
Breathe, slow deep breath. the more freaked out you are, the more freaked out Bonnie will be. Do you have heating pad? and some type of thermometer? if so, get the heating pad warmed up, place the thermometer on top of the heating pad. it should read 95 to 100 dregrees. wrap the cage except the front panel with saran wrap plastic, tape it in place. put in a food dish on the floor, a jar cap will work for the food, make sure it's washed and dried. another jar cap washed and clean, for water. put a low perch in near the floor. place the cage on the heating pad, and cover with a dark blanket or towel. Cuttlebone, grate some of the white soft parts into the food. at least 1 teaspoon worth. you can use clean butter knife to scrape at the cuttlebone. keep her quiet and very warm until you can get to the vet. i would go to the vet in the morning ASAP. JMO.
do not put her back in with the other birds.
I have the heating pad set up.

My Bonnie is a fighter.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I have the heating pad set up.

My Bonnie is a fighter.
good the stronger she is, the better. i lost a budgie from being egg bound. she was not strong enough to fight. watch over her keep her as comfortable as possible. JMO, i would check on her every 2 hours.

MyAussieFriends

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
good the stronger she is, the better. i lost a budgie from being egg bound. she was not strong enough to fight. watch over her keep her as comfortable as possible. JMO, i would check on her every 2 hours.
I will definitely be keeping a close eye on her. I'm trying to watch over her, but at the same time let her rest. I can't imagine how exhausted she is.

This morning she looked perfectly fine. I wish I could of caught on that something was off a little sooner. But she was perfectly content, munching away at her food, and singing along. I wish this happened on a weekend too, because typically they are out all day, and I could of seen something a lot sooner.

Oh well. At least I know I got two eggs out of her.

For some reason I never thought this would happen to me. She had never seemed too interested in nesting before.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Should make us all watch over our female birds.

QBird

Jogging around the block
My what a traumatic night/day you have had I am pleased she seems to be looking better now.

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
Just got a text from my boss. She's going to pay me for tomorrow, even though I'll be at the vets as a Christmas gift. One less thing to worry about.
:heart: :heart:

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Alyssa you sound like you have it under control. I have a male so no help with eggs here. Just sending thoughts and prayers your way.

MyAussieFriends

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
Thanks everyone for your help. Honestly, none of my guys have ever been sick before or even injured. The worst I have ever experienced is just a broken blood feather. I'm definitely feeling a lot better now. I couldn't even think straight. I'm feeling like she's going to pull through. She's even eating, which I think is good. Every time I look at her vent it looks a little bit better.

After all this Christmas shopping, a big vet bill is definitely not going to be fun....

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Big Poop is normal so that is good thing.

MyAussieFriends

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
The vet I usually deal with is completely booked up right now. Thankfully, she was able to refer me to someone else. I'm not sure if they are a certified avian vet, but quite frankly it's better than her not seeing anyone.

Appointment is at 11am.

As for Bonnie, she looks a little stressed out still. She has been eating, and she is perched on a perch. The swelling has gone down considerably.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The soft shelled egg is a gigantic concern. Your vet will most likely recommend a direct calcium injection which is what she really needs. The next soft egg could be the death of her. Of course you need to get more calcium (diet) in her but right now she is in a depleted condition and diet is not enough to fix the immediate problem.

MyAussieFriends

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
The soft shelled egg is a gigantic concern. Your vet will most likely recommend a direct calcium injection which is what she really needs. The next soft egg could be the death of her. Of course you need to get more calcium (diet) in her but right now she is in a depleted condition and diet is not enough to fix the immediate problem.
Do you think it's possible the soft shell one was a result of her laying two eggs in the span of half an hour? I imagine it was quite a strain on her little body to have two eggs instead of just the one.

With the pellets, seed mix, cuttle bone, and fresh food, it just seems really unlucky that she happened to have a problem.

I will definitely be buying more eggs and crushing the shells for her food daily.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:hug8:

pajarita

Walking the driveway
Cuttle bone (or any other source of calcium for that matter) is not enough because the body cannot absorb it unless it has vit D3 (you can feed all the calcium in the world and it will go in one way and out the other) which birds cannot obtain from food (unless you feed them animal protein which they are not supposed to eat because of the high protein, cholesterol and fat in it). A bird can produce its own but only if exposed to direct (not through glass) sunlight for a certain number of minutes every day (I've never found a single study that told me the actual number of minutes but we know that 20 is good for humans). Of course, this presents a problem during the cold weather months but then, birds are not supposed to breed during the resting season so for your bird to be producing eggs you must be exposing her to a human light schedule instead of a bird one (strictly solar with full exposure to dawn and dusk) so I recommend you re-evaluate this as well as diet (you also need to reduce protein during the resting season, especially for highly opportunistic species which budgies most certainly are).