• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

green cheek breeding age

animal_crazy210

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
I know that green cheeks are sexually mature at around 1yr, but i still think that's too young. so my main question is whats the oldest a green cheek can start breeding. do they have to have a clutch younger in order to have a healthy clutch later on. i ask because my female would be 7-9 years old when i had planned to get her a male. is this too old to have her 1st clutch?

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I think that 2-3 years is more typical to start breeding, but birds can continue to lay throughout most of their lives. My own GCC, a single female, decided to start laying when she was 7 and has laid a small clutch or two every summer since (she is almost 16 now) and has had no problems laying and her bloodwork is always good. She does fly a lot which helps prevent egg binding.

The main issue I could see with pairing her up at that age is that she might be less likely to accept a mate. But it really depends on whether she is human-bonded or if she is more interested in other birds.

CheekyBeaks

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ann-Marie
Most GCCs will start breeding at around 2 years of age. Birds can be capable of breeding for many years so I wouldn't think 7 yrs old is too old to have a first clutch as long as she is healthy otherwise. My older GCC pair is 8-9 years old and going strong they have produced 9 babies in two clutches this year.
Your biggest issue may be getting her to pair up with a male, if she has been a pet and is over humanised she may want nothing to do with a male, but you won't know until you try.

Shastasmom

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sally
I also raise GC's and in my experience I have had the best success when I pair two just weaned birds and let them grow up together. They seem to go to nest about 1.5 to 2 years of age. I personally like to hold-off until the hen is at least 2, but sometimes they don't see it the same way. Most GC's are good parents too although it may take a young pair more then one clutch to "get it right". A 7 to 9 year old hen still has some productive years ahead, but getting her to accept a mate might be problematic. I'd try to find a male of comparable age and preferably proven so he will show her the ropes so to speak. :)