• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Update on my poor flying Maxi Pi' girl (Update from 'To Clip or not?)

DeanArrlack

Strolling the yard
Good news!! I'm so glad I stood by my gut feeling to never clip. I've been trying something new that is so far working amazing. I've been walking her to and from locations while making her flap her wings now and then. This combination has made her flying and landing/take off seemingly stronger, at least from my chair to her enclosure, which is roughly 19 feet.

Jeddy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Great news. She is probably building up those pec muscles they use while flying.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Nerd bird had several deformed or missing feathers on one wing so he never could fly well, plus he was really skinny too. He'd make short easy hops or emergency flights, otherwise he walked everywhere, he did have really big thighs though :rofl: He happily accepted rides and if he really needed daddy time he knew where my room was and would walk down the hallway chirping till I noticed or wait by my chair to be picked up, with a loud CHIRP! if I didn't notice. :hehe:

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
Congrats

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Great news. :)

momazon

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
My zon was clipped before fledging, and she has never been a very good flyer, with weak muscles and horribly hard landings. The up side is that she can get away from danger, then stays where she lands and calls for me.

We did flight training with our Maxi, with me at one perch and my d at another, both with handfeeding formula for a reward. When he has gotten loose outside we run for the formula and feeding syringe to call him back. Now he is four years old, and still responds to our feeding whistle and the syringe.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Congrats! :heart:

Mrcrowley

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
My WC Pio Mugsey Male bird can only fly down at a straight line he has never learned to fly except to escape the evil house fly (sigh).
He would just be happy flapping like crazy holding onto dad's finger for dear life. :D

Mrcrowley

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
My WC Pio Mugsey Male bird can only fly down at a straight line he has never learned to fly except to escape the evil house fly (sigh).
He would just be happy flapping like crazy holding onto dad's finger for dear life. :D
Pl
I ate my words yesterday he flew around first floor in circle and landed on tree stand ...: :smuggrin: :jawdrop1:

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Well even Nerd would occasionally have a good day or a few extra feathers and manage to make a pretty good flight from time to time and we always praised him and told him how good he did. He also LOVED to flap for all he was worth, though usually not on my hand, and I'd say FLAP MY PRETTY... and he's get all excited and go at it till he was panting :D

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Yay - glad you chose not to clip. :fly2: