• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can he have regular toys

pacoparrot

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jacob
Most toys sold for parrots are colored. I read that eclectus can not have dyes. Is it okay to put some colored toys in his cage for him to play with? It is really hard to find natural toys around here. I mean he shouldn't be ingesting the dye on the toys...just touching it with his mouth right? Let me know what you think. I don't want to get him sick.

pacoparrot

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jacob
Because I was always told that landofvos is a great website for eclectus information and they don't mention any toy limitations when they talk about toys. I did read in a few places that they can't have artificial dyes in their food but I feel like that's different than something that they aren't eating. It's just difficult trying to get him to amuse himself with toys and I can't really find anything except Popsicle sticks and sisal rope.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Have you ever considered buying online? Ton of toys and a huge variety, online.

And I dont think food dye on toys is harmful :)

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I use toys that are colored with food coloring or dyed with child safe, non toxic paints.

Kimberla

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Don't know if you have ever seen the puff balls that folks make with coffee filters? I use the unbleached natural filters and hide foot toys and treats wrapped in the coffee filter paper in the stack of filters. My guys love them. There are Youtube videos how to make them if you are interested. :)

bicmeister

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Bichlien
my ekkie gets pretty much anything. i stick mostly with our vendors and have never had trouble with dyes. same can be said about reputable nonAA vendors. try experimenting with thinly sliced pine! most vendors carry that natural/dyed

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
The food is ingested and digested which makes dye go into the tissue and blood stream. Toys are chewed and minimal if any color is ingested. Ekkie intestinal system is longer than most other parrots giving time to absorb more and that seems to be more the problem with dye in food...length of time to be absorbed.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I use a lot of toys from parroteelia, which are amazing. I get dyed toys for Rosco but Delta can do undyed things too. You should check out her custom toys, she'll make them exactly how you want them. I don't think I'll ever buy anything else for Rosco.