• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Snowy Owl's?

DeanArrlack

Strolling the yard
Hey Everyone!!

Anyone on the East Coast in America seeing Snowy Owl's yet? I haven't, but where I'm located (Brooklyn NYC) there have already been some reports. I'm heading to a high liklihood zone tomorrow and I'm super hopeful!

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I live in the Southwest, but get some pics if you see one! I saw one in Alaska once hiking back from sledding. It swooped down right in front of me over my little brother. It must have thought my brother's hat (who was walking in front of me) was some sort of food. It was absolutely silent. Did not make a sound and was breathtaking to see!

RoxieW

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Roxie
Wow what an opportunity ! I hope you see some and are able to take some pictures to share :)

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
i live in Mn and see them often at the farm. They are great fence post sitters. they are so beautiful.

DeanArrlack

Strolling the yard
@rocky'smom You should take pictures!!

I went looking for Snowy's today at a possible place but no look...did see a beautiful small flock of Savannah Sparrows and a Common Loon though!

MyAussieFriends

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
I know my boyfriend has seen them up here in Thunder Bay, Canada. I'm always in awe whenever I see any type of owl.

DeanArrlack

Strolling the yard
@MyAussieFriends Im a regular birder and sadly I still haven't seen ANY owl that hasn't been at a zoo! I was hopign to see one in 2014 but it seems I've only about two weeks left to do that. Gonna keep trying, but it's not easy in NYC!

MyAussieFriends

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
@MyAussieFriends Im a regular birder and sadly I still haven't seen ANY owl that hasn't been at a zoo! I was hopign to see one in 2014 but it seems I've only about two weeks left to do that. Gonna keep trying, but it's not easy in NYC!
I've always lived in the country, so I guess it's a lot easier to see birds than it is in one of the biggest cities in the world :lol:

thekarens

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Karen
A few years back there was one in Dallas. We got up EARLY and made the 4 hour mad dash with 5 zillion other birders to see it. It was one of my most wanted birds.

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
Hi Dean . My name's David and I was born and raised in Queens, NY. I used to volunteer at the Audubon Sanctuary in Oyster Bay. They do an event each year called an Owl Prowl. After a lecture and live bird presentation they take you out at night and play owl calls, looking for owls.

I've been to the west-end of Jones Beach many seasons hoping to spot one with no luck. They're kind of the "holy grail" for NY birdwatching. Can you believe that about a year ago they were being shot on sight at Kennedy Airport? Before pressure led to trapping and relocating.

I've been living in Sarasota, FL since about March but while in NY I frequented the local birding hotspots like Alley Pond and Jamaica Bay.

I wish you luck in spotting one.

QBird

Jogging around the block

I went looking for Snowy's today at a possible place but no look...did see a beautiful small flock of Savannah Sparrows and a Common Loon though!
Agree it would be great if you could get a few pictures they are great looking birds

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie

i don't always remember the camera when i go up there. but uncle may have them on the fence cams, i'll take a look next time i'm up there.