• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My boys

birdlove1

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Pam
Hi,
It's been awhile, since Anne's death, that I have been here. It has been hard for me to post here because of that. I will try and post more often but now hold down 2 fulltime jobs to make ends meet. I have a question about Jonesy......

I just posted a pic of my new family member and other boys. Jonesy just got out of quarantine very recently and is stalking my other 2 boys, Laurel and Hardy. He won't leave them alone and they keep trying to get away from them. I am concerned that he is SOOO focused on them that nothing else seems to matter to him. When he was in quarantine he was so sweet and while he bit me when he didn't want to get off my shoulder, he didn't draw blood. Now, since he has been introduced to my other boys, he is VERY VERY aggressive to me. He bites when I get near and with a vengeance! He draws blood everytime I have to put him back in his cage or if I get near him and he bites repeatedly in the same spot. OUCH!!!!!!!

I don't know how to get him to stop this behavior; is it hormonal and he sees Laurel and Hardy as potential mates? I am scared to get near him and don't want him to sense this as he will take advantage of it.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

thank you!

Pam

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
bump :D

pajarita

Walking the driveway
I wish I could help but I don't even know the species the OP is talking about -or genders, age, background, etc. I realize that the OP must have been here before and, most likely, even posted more info on another forum but I think it's easier on everybody if the info is given along with the problem.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I wish I could help but I don't even know the species the OP is talking about -or genders, age, background, etc. I realize that the OP must have been here before and, most likely, even posted more info on another forum but I think it's easier on everybody if the info is given along with the problem.
She has three cockatiels. :) Jonesy is the newest.

Was Jonesy with other birds before?

pajarita

Walking the driveway
Thank you, Michelle! In my personal experience, cockatiels are intensely flock-oriented and would gladly accept a new one or join a new flock without making a big deal of it. They are also very sweet-tempered and would much rather try to scare you by making believe they are going to bite you than really bite. But this is entirely contingent on circumstances. Three males are not a flock because the dynamics are not there even if they do become friends. A clipped tiel would bite you when you insist on asking something he/she doesn't want to do whereas a fully flighted one would just fly away. An overly hormonal tiel could be sore and cranky and bite (as well as bother other tiels) whereas a not overly hormonal bird would not. So the questions that beg asking are: could Jonesy possibly be overly hormonal? And, is he (and Laurel and Hardy) clipped?

purl1

Sprinting down the street
Hi I have a male cockatiel he is 4. He seems to have 2 hormonal periods, June/July and Dec and Jan. He is very very hormonal no matter what I do. ive definatly got it down over the years , he is just like you describe. I still let him have out of cage time but I pretty much have to stay away, if I can get him singing he will let me give scritches but other wise I want to keep my fingers :wacky:
Do you know about how old he is? I guess that really doesnt matter, with Oscar he has got less and less hormonal over the years, im really not sure if its what im doing or him being able to control it better. His first few hormonal episodes he was just like you describe with my female cockatiel . really not so much any more.