• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Concern for my Rosy

Birdaholic

Meeting neighbors
My new nine week old Rosie Bourke has issues with his feet. They are obviously congenital. He was from the third clutch this year from the same hen, according to the breeder I purchased him from. His left foot has two normal front toes and his inside third toe just flops around. I noticed that right away and figured he doesn't know any different and will learn to get around with his disability. I've recently looked at his right foot more closely and realize one of his front toes on his right foot seems to have an abnormal talon. It doesn't look like it will grow. This toe doesn't seem to bend very easily. When he perches on my finger he can grip but he doesn't grip very tight.
He seems to be able to negotiate his way around the cage. It's a flight cage so he can fly and land on his various perches fairly well now.

My concern is that if he has issues with his feet, could there possibly be internal issues I may be missing? I've never had a Bourke parakeet (I also have two budgies) so I'm not as familiar with their daily activity level. From what I've read, they're most active in the morning and in the evenings, which I find to be fairly true. I've had him for two weeks now and he's finally starting to get a little more personable but seems to be pretty quiet most of the time. I guess this is normal.

His droppings are a light green to beige. He's been eating millet quite a bit. He does eat his broccoli, carrots, corn and some other seed but he's kind of a millet addict. The breeder weaned her birds with a seed mixture and millet spray. I'm trying to cut back on the amount of millet I give him. I give him just a few little tufts.

Any more detailed information about Rosie Bourkes would be appreciated! Thanks! :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Bump!

I don't know much about Bourkes but I think they're lovely birds.

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Did you realize this when you bought him ?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Has he been checked by a vet?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
There's no way to tell if there are other congenital defects that may show up without doing some invasive surge or possibly some xrays.

Birdaholic

Meeting neighbors
Since my last post I have weaned him off of his millet spray for the most part. He gets a little bit when he comes out but that's all. He's finally resigned himself to the fact that he has other seed to eat and he's doing fine.

I don't have an avian vet within 60 miles of where I live so I will keep an eye him, but so far he seems to be doing very well. His personality is starting to evolve which is good.

To answer your question about if I knew about this when I bought him, no, I didn't realize it until I got him home. I figure he doesn't know he supposed to be any other way so he's just learned to adapt and seems to be able to get around just fine. I am irritated that the breeder didn't inform me about this. I'm sure she was afraid I wouldn't take him. However I look at this as my first rescue bird since that's what I would like to be doing in the future when I have more room.

And, yes, they are lovely little birds. He's very sweet and has his own charm about him. I'm actually glad he ended up with me because he will be loved and well cared for. :heart:

Birdaholic

Meeting neighbors
An update! Cassidy is doing great! He's healthy, eats his veggies, seed and pellets! He interacts with me and lives to learn. He has learned to wolf whistle and is just a delightfully sweet little boy. :heart: :dancing:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cassidy is a very pretty bird and glad to read that he is doing well. Keep up the good work!!

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
A lot of us have special needs birds, he will be fine. Congrats! He's a beauty :hug8: