• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Java finches or diamond doves?

DeanArrlack

Strolling the yard
Just looking for everyone's opinion...a few java finches or a pair of diamond doves?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I have not had either personally, but had a comment on the java finches. In the United States, they are illegal to own in some states. Also, it is illegal to sell them across state lines. I just wanted to let you know before you make a decision.

Matt

Mr Peepers

Cruising the avenue
I've had java finches they are hardy little birds that stay healthy with little problems and are good pets they should be housed in a larger flight cage to give them lots of room.

I've never had diamond doves but I've considered them as they are pretty darn cute.

Good luck with what ever you choose. :)

DeanArrlack

Strolling the yard
Thanks all! @expressmailtome I've heard about that but I know that they're legal in NY! Though I think the reason they're so hard to find in NY is because you can't cross state lines.

@Mr Peepers I've the room and the capability for either and I just can't decide. Diamond doves are beautiful but Javas have been interesting me for a long long time now. I've interacted with both and really want to see what it's like having a non-parrot bird. I've also two pi's in a different room than where this finch or dove aviary would be.

Mr Peepers

Cruising the avenue
Thanks all! @expressmailtome I've heard about that but I know that they're legal in NY! Though I think the reason they're so hard to find in NY is because you can't cross state lines.

@Mr Peepers I've the room and the capability for either and I just can't decide. Diamond doves are beautiful but Javas have been interesting me for a long long time now. I've interacted with both and really want to see what it's like having a non-parrot bird. I've also two pi's in a different room than where this finch or dove aviary would be.

Get both :) If I had the room or could manage an aviary I would not hesitate both birds are interesting.

Java's have to be in pairs they don't do well on their own diamond doves are also better if in pairs so you need large cages for either breed.

Do some research online there are tons of sites dedicated to these lovely birds it will help you decide. :)

DeanArrlack

Strolling the yard
I did debate getting two javas and two diamonds, but my cage (I was being too liberal with my usage of the word aviary, hah) Is 36X20X54 so I feel it could be a little cramped. I know several finch or dove sites would suggest I could pack em' in at that size, but I rather leave plenty of room to fly.

Mr Peepers

Cruising the avenue
I did debate getting two javas and two diamonds, but my cage (I was being too liberal with my usage of the word aviary, hah) Is 36X20X54 so I feel it could be a little cramped. I know several finch or dove sites would suggest I could pack em' in at that size, but I rather leave plenty of room to fly.

From what I've read from many sites when I had my java's was that they shouldn't be housed with diamond doves or other birds.. so maybe just one set of finches or doves is the way to go.

Unless you can score another cage somewhere. :) :) :) :) :) :)

wyrinth

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I have a pair of diamond doves. If I had to choose, I would've gone with JavaScript. Diamonds are cute, but they spend a lot of time on the bottom of the cage and they have an annoying habit of using the food dishes as bathrooms..a lot. Their cooing is nice, but mine don't seem to do much.

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Java... they have cute little antics.
Doves, are well... much less fun IMO. You can really have fun with a Java cage, but doves seems to often just 'sit'