• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Should we remove love bird chick from the cage?

duckie-angel

Moving in
Real Name
Belinda
Hi all, we are first timers of love bird chicks x 2. The vet seems to think they are 11/12 weeks old but I personally think they are younger. Once chick is slightly smaller and not out of the box yet, the other is larger and started flying around for the first time 2 days ago. Sadly our mother bird died on Thursday. The dad seems to feeding them both but is favouring the larger chick. We are just concerned about the smaller chick. What do you think? Should be remove the smaller chick from the cage or just keep watching for a few more days? The vet advised that we remove the chicks twice a day and weigh them. They are in a outdoor aviary so I am just not sure how this is possible without loosing one. What do you think. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

fidsmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
I would wait a few days, As long as the little 1, is still being fed, then should be good. You say, they are 11-12 wks old ? If so, they should of started to wean by now. I used to have lovies & 2 breeding pairs, I made the mistake, of taking 1 of the chicks out, & when I decided to take the other 1 out, the parents killed it. If you do decide to take younger 1 out, then I suggest you take the other 1 out to, Do you know, how to handfeed them, If you choose to take them out ?

duckie-angel

Moving in
Real Name
Belinda
Thanks Susan. The larger one has just started to wean. I think I will watch the little one over the weekend and decide. We have a bird vet only a few minutes away. I have not hand feed before so will need to learn. My concern is that the daddy bird ( duckie ) has already paired off with the larger chick. Love birds are confusing ...... Thanks for taking time to answer.