• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures A first : cuddly T-Rex!

SnapV

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Virginie
A few minutes ago was the first time that T-Rex was ever really cuddly :D
I give him a little scritches every day but now he was playing with me and he just leaned back and I scritched his whole head (especially under his little beak). I am so happy :)

Here are a few pics my boyfriend took :

On a less pleasant note T-Rex bit someone for the first time yesterday (my boyfriend)... He didn't read the body language correctly and thought T-Rex wanted a scritch because his head was fluffy but he didn't see the fanned tail :facepalm: I felt pretty bad... But they are back on good terms now!

Also a little question, a few days ago T-Rex started to make a noise I can only describe as purring when I'm petting him, is that a normal pionus sound?

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Awww! So sweet! :heart:

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Well you have a friend for life now, he certainly trusts you to allow that and seems to love it. :dance4: :heart: :hug8:

cute_lil_fiend

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
❤ The beginning of a beautiful friendship!
On a related note....i wish remy would consent to this. He is a no cuddle bird atm.

SnapV

Real Name
Virginie
Well you have a friend for life now, he certainly trusts you to allow that and seems to love it. :dance4: :heart: :hug8:
That makes me very happy :xflove:

And @cute_lil_fiend I really didn't think T-Rex would ever do that either but, since I have him, I have never pushed him and it really seems to have paid off :) BTW is Remy also from PLB aviaries? (just curious)

Last edited:

cute_lil_fiend

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
That makes me very happy :xflove:

And @cute_lil_fiend I really didn't think T-Rex would ever do that either but, since I have him, I have never pushed him and it really seems to have paid off :) BTW is Remy also from PLB aviaries? (just curious)
Nope, although I wish he was. Based on some of the reviews, they seem very well-regarded.
He is from a breeder in ON. I didn't have a great experience with the shipping, but that's all in the past now.

Just glad you are able to have so much progress with him. Gives me hope that I can be more hands on with Remy too.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
OMG! How could I have missed this thread! I'm so, so, so, so, so, so sorry!

Congrats Virginie! I have had Eloy for over 2 years (and I training him a lot) and I can not hold him like that. So be very proud! :heart: :heart: :heart:
That pic is 100% trust! :)

SnapV

Real Name
Virginie
OMG! How could I have missed this thread! I'm so, so, so, so, so, so sorry!

Congrats Virginie! I have had Eloy for over 2 years (and I training him a lot) and I can not hold him like that. So be very proud! :heart: :heart: :heart:
That pic is 100% trust! :)
I am very happy about how T-Rex and I's relationship has developed in just the few months that I have had him. I of course realize that we haven't hit puberty yet but I hope to lay the best base possible before we do :) My boyfriend is having a bit more trouble with T-Rex but he tries to work on that with bird cookies.

Oh and also, I may have created a monster: I taught T-Rex to wolf whistle and now he won't stop :arghh:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Oh and also, I may have created a monster: I taught T-Rex to wolf whistle and now he won't stop :arghh:
LOL be careful what you wish for....
I'm in love with your bird!!!
And yes, Ernie purrs. :heart:

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Happy that he is named right then. :rofl:
Also a little question, a few days ago T-Rex started to make a noise I can only describe as purring when I'm petting him, is that a normal pionus sound?
My English isn't the best to understand the word, "purring". Can you record it?
Or perhaps another Pionus owner can help you with that.

SnapV

Real Name
Virginie
@Eloy purring is the grumbling sound a cat makes when it's happy or comfortable, like "prrrrrrrprrrrrprrrr". T-Rex sounds like that when he does it :p

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Lurch does a long EEEERRRRRRR noise sometimes when sitting by me and happy. Sometimes you can barely hear it, sometimes he's pretty loud. Nerd used to just get happy eyes and say ERK! quietly to himself and us. He also had a happy whistle kinda like a squeeek/trill he'd do when getting nice fresh cold water or getting ready to nap, Lurch has never done that one though when I do it at him it seems to make him happy and calm.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
@Eloy purring is the grumbling sound a cat makes when it's happy or comfortable, like "prrrrrrrprrrrrprrrr". T-Rex sounds like that when he does it :p
OK! :) No that is not a sound that Eloy is doing. Sounds very cute. :heart:
Eloy once have made a purring sound, but a very loud purring sound. At that moment he was both angry and scared.
Eloy is a very silent bird, he don't talk, and only whistle on command. :)

momazon

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
My amazon purrs, and our Maxi purrs when my daughter holds him upside down. Maybe it is a New World parrot trait? Not sure.