• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Teaching a bird to forage?

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Now that Roma has broken the seed addiction, I would like to concentrate on getting him to forage more.
I will hang millet from his orbit gym, put some pecans or roudybush bites in his coconut hut and his teddy bear forager, halve and core an apple or other fruits and hang it in his cage, but anything more thought provoking than that, he just will not touch.
Tonight I wrapped a pecan and half a millet piece in strips of newspaper (he loves shredding paper) and I practically had to unwrap it for him. He knew what was in it and started shredding the paper, but decided it was too much work or lost interest before he got to the treat. Once I untwisted the end of the paper, shortened the end, he pretty much just stuck his face in the rolled paper until he could grab the treat :bag: .
I have tried the finger traps with treats and shredded paper stuffed in the ends, hiding treats in his sneakers and in crocs, putting the treats in bowls stuffed with shredded paper. He will pull out one or two pieces of paper and won't go any further.
Everyone was so helpful and encouraging on helping me change his diet :highfive: , I am hoping you can help with getting him beyond perch potato now.

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
Could you start by adding shredded paper as an extra dimension to the foraging toys you already have? Titus is a lazy forager but loves rooting through the shred and throwing it everywhere to get at his food.

Also, a tissue box with lots of paper shred, with foot toys and food treats hidden in it.

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
He gets annoyed at the paper and just gives up. He would rather not eat it than to have to dig a little for it. Maybe I should use less paper in his finger traps and things? Make it a little easier and then gradually put more in it to make it a little more work each time?

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
Yeah good plan.

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Thanks for helping me work it out! Sometimes i have blonde moments and cannot think it out. I love this forum! :heart:

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
All birds are so different but I'm sure you'll figure out what works for Roma the more you get to know each other :)

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
We were able to find organic tissue paper (and supervise her while she does it)- but she wouldnt touch it.... unless.....it is red or orange- ATTACK!
She loves the color and tears away at it. Hates blue. Wont touch it. My husband thinks it is because I have blue grey eyes, and always wear blue. and eating mommies couture is a no-no.

It also helps to show her. I will be unpacking something- and she sits next to me and decides THAT is what she wants- even without food in it. hehe

Chantilly Lace

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
Maybe just use a plain old SS skewer with food on it? Or you can hang bird safe tree branches in the cage, and skewer fruit and veggies on the branches. Try placing a piece of paper over his bowl, so he has to move it to get to food. Start small, and work your way up to more difficult things.

HollyT

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Holly
Some things I do are fairly simple. I'll fill a good bowl or shallow tray with Marbella beads shredded paper various small wood beads or foot toys then add in pellets or dry food mixes. You might have your bird watch you do this. Show the food as you mix it in.

I also use coffee filters to cover food bowls. I secure with a rubber band. Start my poking a small hole so he gets the idea.

Scewering foods is a great idea too as Chantilly suggested.

Also simple using multiple food bowls in different locations and dividing meals up so they have to climb around seeing which bowls have food.

The Parrot Enrichmnet Activity Books help me when I'm in a slump.
http://www.phoenixlanding.org/PEAB_V2.pdf

Keep trying over and over. Keep it simple for now. He'll catch on!

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Maybe just use a plain old SS skewer with food on it? Or you can hang bird safe tree branches in the cage, and skewer fruit and veggies on the branches. Try placing a piece of paper over his bowl, so he has to move it to get to food. Start small, and work your way up to more difficult things.
I'm not sure why I never thought to do this. How do you keep the perches clean though?

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
He does have a perch with 3 branches that I hang cored apple slices and things on. He loves that. For Thanksgiving I cut a corn on the cob into slices and hung the slices on a leather strip about an inch apart and hung that in his cage. He is getting the idea, slowly but surely. I put seed in a finger trap while he was watching me last week and put just a little paper on top and he figured it out after a few minutes. I have a box with a hole cut into it and stuffed it with his millet, paper shreds, foot toys, newspaper balls and that has his curiosity, but so far not much more than that. :lol:

I'm not sure why I never thought to do this. How do you keep the perches clean though?
I wipe it down with my vinegar solution when I remove the leftovers or throw it in the dishwasher when I have to clean all the perches anyway.

Some things I do are fairly simple. I'll fill a good bowl or shallow tray with Marbella beads shredded paper various small wood beads or foot toys then add in pellets or dry food mixes. You might have your bird watch you do this. Show the food as you mix it in.

I also use coffee filters to cover food bowls. I secure with a rubber band. Start my poking a small hole so he gets the idea.

Scewering foods is a great idea too as Chantilly suggested.

Also simple using multiple food bowls in different locations and dividing meals up so they have to climb around seeing which bowls have food.

The Parrot Enrichmnet Activity Books help me when I'm in a slump.
http://www.phoenixlanding.org/PEAB_V2.pdf

Keep trying over and over. Keep it simple for now. He'll catch on!
Love the coffee filter idea! And I will check that website out in a bit!

Thank for the ideas everyone! :hug8:

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
One other thing...
Im not sure what is on the bottom of your parrots cage. But i take organic/natural puppy pads and put it on the bottom of the cage. That way she has a good place to forage/walk and cleanup is a breeze. I place clumps of paper in the corner of the cage, and put sunflower or nuts under the paper.

She walks around- moving the paper to get at them. That was the precursor to her nonsense now.... thinking everything in the entire house must have something wonderful inside!
(make sure she doesnt eat the puppy pads, etc always pay close attention to them)

Also here is another thing I devised:
Items needed: Organic paper streamers, handle of shopping bag, nut, drill

I took some organic paper streamers, and cut them into equal lengths like you are making a big present bow.
Drill a hole in the nut- for your baby i would crack it first....
Then sting the nut, paper and tie to the cage. The streamers cover the nut- but are easily moved to the side (no ripping involved) but gets your feathered friend used to 'getting at it'
Like this:

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
It also strikes be that you may be offering large peices or lots of food in one go which may cause him to eat and be done.

For my caiques I use small bits of treats for foraging. Part of a nut, a small part of a grape or apple. They do have to learn though. If they see the treat go in the container it helps. You can wrap a small bit of pecan in a little scrap of paper and give it to him. Let him see you put it in there and then he may chew through it or unwrap it. Leave a little sticking out. You might hav3 to teach him then make it a little harder. He has to find success quickly until he learns ir he will give up.

Cara

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
You can also try just placing a small piece of treat at the ends of perches or in spots around the cage. Just get him moving around the cage to look for things. Then put them in the same spots with paper over them - don't wrap them yet. All he has to do is chuck the paper aside. Once you see him really looking for his treats with purpose, start wrapping them lightly. I have 6 birds with different levels of willingness to forage. Sometimes with my LSC2, it's all about wrecking the toy/wrapper. Eventually, he'll go down and get the treats. I stopped giving him buckets, because he'd dump everything in seconds. My B&G is also more excited about tearing up a paper bag full of shredded paper than getting the treats inside. It's ok - keeps him busy.

Jesi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jesi
Those orange paper sting things taste nasty. I was told to lick one and well I did it. it was pretty Nasty