• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New, with LOTS of questions!

Kelstiel

Moving in
Hey there!

So I guess I'd better start by telling you the story of how I got my cockatiel.

I work at Petland, and naturally, being an animal lover I tend to fall in love with everything that enters the store. But it was the kind of love where it was like, "I plan on finding you the best home possible!" except for this one little cockatiel. She came in with another baby, about 2-3 months old I think. She was hand raised, and VERY friendly. I started carrying her and her brother around on my shoulder in turns, people always stopped and asked if they were my birds and I always responded "Sadly, no. They're for sale, but I want to keep them social." Which was true, we had a batch of other babies in that were super handtame but they're all in the same pen so they started bonding more to each other than to people. And with kids and everyone and their dog sticking their grubby hands in all the time trying to catch one, they all lost the interest in human contact.

But these two were kept in a different pen, we were a little overstocked on cockatiels so we had to start another one. Anyway, somewhere along the line I fell in love with them both. The kind of love that's like, "I don't want to let you go." Which I didn't realize until one of my co-workers sold the boy. I was devastated. I absolutely couldn't let the girl go to someone else now, so I called up my landlord and begged for her, and it was an easier call that I anticipated. With my landlord's okay, I bought her. I got her a used cage from a thrift store, which I cleaned up all nice for her, bought heer as many toys and perches as I could afford and brought her home the next day.

This is her:

She's not my first cockatiel, I had three when I was a kid, so I know a lot of their basic care needs and I've been doing research on what I don't know. But there's some things that the internet isn't providing me answers to. For instance, she's really quiet.

She occasionally chirps at me or squawks if she's mad. But other than that, she's very quiet. she's been home about five days now, is this normal?
I'm also not sure about her sex, I mean, given her behaviour and what my boss determined she's female, and I've been calling her as such and gave her a feminine name (Nova). But her colouring is apparently close to that of a male's? Thoughts? I'm still going to call her a she and keep her name, I think, because birds don't really have a sense of gender identity in the same regard that we do, but I'd like to know for medical purposes.

I've heard you can take cockatiels in the shower with you, if this is true, what is the best way to introduce her to it?

Wing clipping... I hear so much from different sides, and they all seem valid. While clipping your birds wings forces them to be dependant on you it also helps to keep them safe, but not clipping gives them freedom and trust so here's my question, how do I determine which is right? I'm not worried about her being difficcult to catch, she hardly leaves my shoulder and she's fully flighted right now, but the other day something scared her and she flew into the window, luckily she wasn't hurt but I'm thinking I might want to clip them to prevent it from happening again, will that damage her relationship to me?

I'm in school, and I have to work at least three shifts a week, so she's often alone for a few hours at a time (but she gets a good 6-8 hours out of her cage every day). My question about that is how do I keep her entetained enough without me that she doesn't look like a sad little puppy whenever I leave? I want her to be comfortable in her cage and I don't want to create a needy toddler type personality in her. She has a rope perch, a ladder, some different textured toys, a cuttle bone, a mirror, a few different textured perches, a treat stick, and if I'm going to be gone more than eight hours I give her a salad.

Speaking of salad... she used to get them every day in the pet store, and she loved them. She'd eat everything, but she won't even touch any fruit or veggie I give her. I've tried carrots, bananas, oranges, romaine lettuce, apples, even kiwi. She won't eat it from a bowl in or out of her cage, and she won't eat it from my hand. Thoughts about how to coax her to eat? She eats her seeds just fine, and she loves her fruitblend pellets that I mix with the seeds...

I think that's all I've got for questions right now... (Though there will probably be more down the road) but can anyone offer some insight? It would be much appreciated, thank you!

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
She is adjusting to a new environment. Sometimes this may take a few weeks or a few months. Keep offering her the same foods she had before and offer her new ones, too. She will come around after some time to adjust. And as she gets comfortable, may surprise you with her singing and chatter.

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
As for wing clipping, I am let my GCC keep his wings. He loves to follow me all over the house, but because of the dog, I do not allow him on the floor. So he flies everywhere and gets great exercise!

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome!

I don't think tiels are really fruit-eaters like other parrots, so it's not really a big deal that she's not eating them. Veggies are generally healthier anyway, so keep trying with those -- dark, leafy greens are good. It takes a while to get them to eat healthy (years even, sometimes). Just keep at it. I'm not very good at visually sexing cockatiels -- maybe @Monica would know? How old did you say she is? Young cockatiels (before they moult into their adult colours) are hard to visually sex. Another thing you can consider is a DNA test.

I've never believed that clipping a bird's wings keeps them "safer." It doesn't take away a bird's natural instinct to fly, and she may hurt herself trying, but not being able to. She flew into a window because she is either not a very accomplished flyer (yet) and because she is unfamiliar with her surroundings. This will improve as she gets more practice. Clipping her will deprive her of her chance to learn.

And about keeping her entertained... what kind of cage and set-up do you have for her now? Maybe post pictures, and we can give you suggestions? A large cage with lots of toys is essential if they'll be kept alone for a period of time

Robyn

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Robyn
She's pied so good luck telling by her face however if she has a grey tail look for the bars or little yellow lines under it if she has those she should be a female but you can't be sure til the first molt. Also cockatiels aren't natural fruit eaters they normally do OK with veggies but most don't eat fruit. To make the food more appealing try offering it in different ways and eating it in front of her she should eventually get its not poison and try it. For toys make sure theres varitey and not all one type. Make sure you have shredding toys, preening toys, foraging toys and noise making toys. also make sure she knows how to self entertain and if she doesn't know how to play with certain toys teach her.

Kelstiel

Moving in
Thanks to everyone who's responding, all of this advice is great. She's probably about 5 months at the most right now, she came in at roughly 2-3 and I bought her 2 months after she arrived in the store.

I think I'll try leaving her fully flighted for a while, and if it becomes a problem I'll clip them then. I'm a little paranoid because because I lost my very first bird out the front door because we hadn't clipped his wings, I never saw him again (and I spend the entire day searching the town for him.) but if it's truly best for her to not have them clipped then I won't do it.

Her cage is the biggest Vision cage I could find. Here are some pics:

And yes, the area around it is a bit messy because I'm working on a project right now. :p

One of her toys is rubber, another is hard plastic, and another is a soft wood with ropes and beads. And my next paycheck is going to mean a few more toys as well.

As for her tail, it's mostly yellow, this is what the underside looks like:

And the top is a solid yellow.

I'll be more patient with the fruit and veggies as well, hopefully after a while she'll start eating them again.

CeciliaZ

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Congrats on your new baby. :)

He/she is still young and will have those baby tail feathers with the barred markings. Pieds are harder to sex visually. It is normal for them to be quiet when you bring them home as they are still adjusting. Male tiels tend to be more vocal than females and will try whistling at a young age...all my males were whistling at about 3 months.

I don't take my tiels in the shower with me but I do mist and lightly spray them using a spray bottle. I also offer them a bath at times using a shallow pan or baking dish but they prefer the spray bottle.

I leave my tiels flighted. In the past when their wings were clipped, some of my tiels were still able to fly. And outside, a gust of wind can carry them. It is scary watching them fly sometimes in the house, but they will learn their way around. I used to think they were safer with wings clipped but I found they were crashing into things more. I leave mine flighted and give them places to land...an atom in one corner of the room and a climbing net in another. And they are much happier being able to fly. :)

My tiels prefer veggies over fruit but will occasionally nibble on a piece of apple, cantaloupe or honeydew. They love leafy greens, broccoli, and carrots. You can also put veggies on a skewer - your tiel may try it that way.

And toys in the cage - shredding, soft wood, cork - (check out the vendors here in the "Marketplace" section; they make great toys!)

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Congrat on new baby, Nova.
you can make simple foraging toys for her. what you will need: cardboard tubes like toilet paper, gift wrap, paper towel tubes. make sure there is not a lot of glue on them. Nutriberries, avicakes, popped plain pop corn (no butter,oil, or salt) (air popped is the best i have found but make sure your air popper has no TEFLON in it), millet, pellets, natural raffia strips for ties.
gift wrap tubes you will want to cut into 6 separate smaller tubes, paper towel tubes into 3 separate smaller tubes. on the cut ends fold over like this )( make sure the folded ends are tight. fill with a treat; popped corn and nutriberry, popped corn and avicake, just popped corn, millet piece, some pellets, you get the idea. make sure anything you put inside is dry. fold the other cut end )( tightly and tie with raffia strip. you can also use coffee filters (natural) and cupcake papers tying above the treat. put one or two into her cage and let her discover them on her own. keep them out of poop zones so they stay clean.
4ever :tiel2: 's mom
Sweet :tiel2: Pea's mom too.

Skyler

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
The best way to get a tiel to try a new food is easy!!! (and yes they don't usually like fruit) When your baby has settled in , take a bit of whatever the food is , pretend to eat it yourself and make a big deal ---say yummy, roll your eyes etc. Then turn your back --most tiels I've had will run and steal it.

And :Congratwav:

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
Congrats on Nova! Sounds like she/he is going to be very loved and well taken care of :)
I have no experience with cockatiels so I am afraid I am of no help with those questions :(.
But I will echo what everyone else is saying about staying persistent with the veggies :D
Hope you two have a blast together :hug8:

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
My cockatiel loves showers, squirt bottles not as much. When she gets comfortable with you, if you have a shelf or perch in the bathroom leave her there within your sight during showers while chatting with her at first then build up to the shower. It worked well for me, she was curious what I was doing. That may or may not work for you though.
:hehe:
There's also a perch inside my shower, the birds enjoy it once or twice a week at least.

Kelstiel

Moving in
Thank you so much for all the advice everyone!

I'll have to wait till my next paycheck to get her some more toys and treats, but in the meantime she's actually starting to settle into her cage more, she still gets really excited when I come home but if I leave her alone she goes back to playing, and that's when I've been taking her out. (I don't want her to learn that I'll take her out whenever she wants, because that's not always possible.)

I tried giving her a bath with a squirt bottle, but she wouldn't have any of it. I also offered one in a shallow baking dish but she didn't seem to care for that either, so I'm going to try introduce her to showering with me.

Another question I thought of; My sister has a ball python. So far Nova has never seen him or known he's there, but I was wondering if anyone one else has a snake in their house with their birds and what the best way to make them aware of each other is? I'm not too worried about him trying to eat her or anything, he's well fed and they supposedly don't like to go after birds anyway. But there's always that small chance... Would it be better to just keep her unaware of him?

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
I also keep snakes :) They're in separate rooms and are none the wiser of each other typically. I would probably try and keep them that way. Nafesh has briefly seen them in their cage before (walking in and out with her perched on my shoulder) but I wouldn't allow any actual contact or lengthy time span with them. Really no reason to acclimate them as them getting near each other at all is not a good idea. Birds are prey animals, snakes not so much. Might end up panicking the cockatiel, and I don't really think it's worth it. Just IMHO though.
I've also kept pet mice and many other animals with snakes, the best trick is just to keep them separated from other animals. It's always worked for me. :)

Kelstiel

Moving in
All right, I'll do that then. Her cage is in a totally different room so it won't be too hard to keep them unaware of each other. I don't want her freaked out...

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I have had snakes (mine lives with my mom now) and its best to keep the birds and snakes unaware of eachother.

Ball pythons are docile snakes. They are rodent eaters and wont eat birds. But Bette safe than sorry. :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Nova is used to eating with other birds so being an only bird now is a big change for her. She will come around. I do not believe in clipping wings either. Birds are much happier when they can fly like nature intended. Your cage is nice - looks like a Vision cage. Cockatiels love to shred toys so have lots of them available to her. Keep music playing while you are at work. Try hanging wet greens in a clip from the cage top- sort of like a tree and see if she likes it. Here is wishing you and Nova a long happy life together. :)

Yennylukas

Strolling the yard
The best way to get a tiel to try a new food is easy!!! (and yes they don't usually like fruit) When your baby has settled in , take a bit of whatever the food is , pretend to eat it yourself and make a big deal ---say yummy, roll your eyes etc. Then turn your back --most tiels I've had will run and steal it.

And :Congratwav:
Yes agree always working!!

It takes maxy so quick to eat his vegies using this trick...

Now maxy is really big on vegies!

Kelstiel

Moving in
Thanks for all the help everyone! She's still not eating veggies, but I've gotten her to nibble at them a few times so we're on our way. Also, my sister ended up taking the snake out last night while Nova was around, and she didn't even flinch. I think they'll be okay, but I told my sister not to take him out when she's around anymore, and NO ONE is allowed to hold them both and the same time.

Kelstiel

Moving in
Okay, I just thought of something else...

This morning Nova was sneezing a lot, I checked it out and it's probably nothing, she seems active and healthy and hasn't sneezed in the last hour or more but it got me thinking about finding a vet before something REALLY bad happens. So I called around to all the clinics in my city for an avian vet and unortunately, there doesn't seem to be any. Which I think is odd, because in a city of 70k+ people you'd think there'd be at least one... One clinic advertised birds on their webpage but when I called they said that meant they recommend to an Avian Clinic in a city 2 hours away. 2 hours is a long drive... and that's not even including the hour plus it could take to get through the city to the clinic. Plus, i don't have a car so in an emergency, the time it would take for me to find a ride and get there would probably be too long. I am working on getting my license and saving up for a car (but it's winter, and learning to drive in this weather is a no-no) but it'll probably have to wait until the summer for all of that. But even so, in all of this area, apparently the ONLY avian vet is in that city 2 hours away...

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Where in Alberta do you live? We have quite a few Albertans on this forum who can help you locate an avian vet.