• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

bulk wood?

angelawonder

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Angela
So I realize the cheapest route to go would be to cut my own. However, I have no power tools and no garage, so it would all be done in my house and no thanks for now. I am looking for just wood squares, rectangles, triangles, whatever that I can use to make my own bird toys. I want to buy a large quantity but it seems tough to find those in a cheaper range. I had planned to buy from suddenly splinters they prices were amazing, but now it seems they are no longer in business? Maybe they changed their name? I wish I had bought when they were still selling. But similar to that, like I want 500+ pieces of squares and rectangles. Doesn't need to be colored, I can do it myself. Doesn't even have to be drilled although that is preferable. If anyone has any place they use for this kind of stuff please share.

angelawonder

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Angela
Let me add that part of the reason why I want such a large order is that I have been asked to donate the toys I make to my local rescue so I'm very happy to oblige!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
You wont be sorry buying their wood...good chewable stuff!

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I love Avian Antics. But contact Shelly ASAP as she is closing soon for vacation.
*** Last day for orders was Nov 25th.

angelawonder

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Angela
I meant suddenly splinters. She opened up a shop in the spring, 500 pieces of wood like around 30-50 dollars. I had been meaning to order but never did and now when I search for the shop its website is gone, the facebook page hasn't been updated since june or july. They may have closed up for the winter or just decided it was too much work. I have checked out avian antics, I have one of their bird boxes coming soon so that will be enough to play with for now. I'm always checking the clearance section too of any website I see it on. Thanks

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I think I know the shop you speak of. I forget her name of the shop. But I believe the wood person you speak of just had a baby. :) I think she moved recently so there may not be any more wood.

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Let me make a suggestion. Pay a carpenter by the hour, you buy lumber and deliver it and just tell him what you want. You can cut a lot of wood in and hour, trust me. I have either my husband but most often a carpenter cut for me. I have a garage with full set up including drill press and I do all the holes myself which can be time consuming! For the smaller birds the wood is cut in long pieces and stacked and taped. Then he cuts them whatever sizes. They stay stacked and taped and I drill at least 5 layers at one time depending on thickness of wood for the Rose Breasted and Queen of Bavaria! Quicker that way but this evolved over time. The Palms go threw wood like crazy so we cut about six 5 gallon buckets in different shapes every two weeks for them! The wood for them has to be drilled one at a time because of thickness and size, but I can drill holes pretty quickly! Get 5 gallon buckets with lids from Lowes works great! I do try and color but it's very time consuming and they go threw it a lightening speed! They do prefer colored. I also bring wood to our rescue as well! I still buy a lot of toys but for main bulk for Palms I string almost everyday depending on the thickness of wood I'm giving them. If it's to thick its last but they really don't have the enthusiasm so I give them both large and smaller so they they can fill accomplished! What we do for our birds! I can post some photos if anyone is interested! I have some but would need to take photo for the bulk wrapped ones later.

crystaljam

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Crystal
Thank you for the kudos, @MyAussieFriends !

Today and tomorrow as well we have 15% off shipping, Balsa/Basswood Bases free with every $15 increment in your order, and the current USA Dollar is $0.88, therefore that's technically a 12% discount off our regular prices.

Chantilly Lace

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
We had to bite the bullet and buy a saw. It saves us sooo much money. We use it outside, is that an option for you?

angelawonder

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Angela
I would love to have a saw of my own. My problem is I live in a manufactured home, so I am not sure where I could store it when Im not using it. I have no problem using it outside, but I don't want it to walk away or be subjected to the rain we have here.

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Ann
CA Bird Nerds will be bringing back Pine Pieces in the near future in the shapes of Triangles, Squares and Rectangles. We do have some pine pieces available on our website and they can be found here:
Largest Selection of Bird Toy Parts on The Web CA Bird Nerds
and don't forget about our sale now through Saturday, December 6th.
15% off orders over $75 coupon code DAY15
20% off orders over $300 coupon code Day20