• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Shirt Monster

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My female lovebird, Snerky, has discovered the joys of climbing around in mama's shirt. Once she found this secret playground, there was no going back. She wants to come out of the cage constantly now, and when she does, she makes a beeline for my sleeve or wherever else she can slip into my shirt!! I have tried fishing her out repeatedly, but she just waits for an unguarded moment to dart back in there. She is not biting me at all when in there, thankfully. She just climbs around making kissing and clicking noises. :) She'll also rub her beak against my skin (like she would the bars in her cage) and make her little clucking noises. She likes to crawl down to the bottom hem of my shirt and stick her head out to look around. It is hilarious to see her when she comes out too far and has to scramble to get back in, little birdy bum sticking out, leg kicking. Quite a graceless process, haha.

She has also decided that squeezing under my bra strap is GREAT fun. :rolleyes:

There are two downsides to this so far. One is that she cannot stand going back in her cage now. She sometimes yells at me and can get pinchy as I try to put her in. The other is that once she gets close to the neck of my shirt, she sometimes transforms into a moray eel (a rare white moray eel, haha) and will dart out from her 'den' to pinch before disappearing back into the darkness! I told her that was Not Cute!

Maybe the whole laying-an-egg thing has transformed her birdy brain and now a portable nest is the most important thing in the world? LOL. She seems oblivious to the technical difficulties in actually utilizing the nest for her purposes....oh well. ;)

It is very difficult to take pictures of the fabled white moray eel as she despises my cell phone and seems to feel mortally affronted every time she sees it. She moves like greased lightning once the vile enemy has been sighted!

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:hehe: Great story! What a sneaky Moray Eel :roflmao:

Happynme

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
Awwwww.....i can just picture her as an eel... :lol:

nellysmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Diane
That is to funny. My TOO likes to stick her head down my shirt with her butt in the air. In your case it sounds a bit hormal. When she starts bring pieces of paper with her look out :lol:

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awwwww.....i can just picture her as an eel... :lol:
She makes all kinds of noises while she's in my shirt. Growls, clicks, evil laughter, little goose squeaks... I was on the phone with my mom earlier and she was hearing all of it - apparently the little monster saves at least the evil laughter for me, because my mom never heard it while she was taking care of the birds while I was away! (When she's making her way up the front of my shirt, I put my hand over the neck opening because I know what's coming next!)

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That is to funny. My TOO likes to stick her head down my shirt with her butt in the air. In your case it sounds a bit hormal. When she starts bring pieces of paper with her look out :lol:
LOL!! A much bigger shirt-diver! I'm sure yours doesn't fit nearly as well in there, haha.

Oh yes, I'm certain it's hormonal. She's being a little hen, and the inside of my shirt is her favorite place in the world. I don't let her have any paper! I had to remove a cardboard box from the room because she was determined to use it as nesting material every time she left her cage.

Princessbella

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
If is very cute but I worry about hens who find happy dark places. I wonder if she will try to lay eggs in your shirt. My first tiel Buddy laid her first egg while she was on my shoulder and wound up dying last year of egg binding.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If is very cute but I worry about hens who find happy dark places. I wonder if she will try to lay eggs in your shirt. My first tiel Buddy laid her first egg while she was on my shoulder and wound up dying last year of egg binding.
I have tried to keep her out of there, but it is definitely a losing battle. I'd literally have to not wear a shirt! I fish her out periodically to get face-time with her and kiss her little head. She doesn't seem interested in actually laying in there - she is just climbing around everywhere and chattering to herself. Then she sticks her head out to check on me. I do my best to reduce things that encourage her to lay, and if she ever starts laying frequently, I'll take her for the implant the vet mentioned to me. (I'm sorry about your tiel. :( I also had a cockatiel die from egg-binding when I was a teenager. She died in surgery while they were trying to save her.)

Happynme

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
She makes all kinds of noises while she's in my shirt. Growls, clicks, evil laughter, little goose squeaks... I was on the phone with my mom earlier and she was hearing all of it - apparently the little monster saves at least the evil laughter for me, because my mom never heard it while she was taking care of the birds while I was away! (When she's making her way up the front of my shirt, I put my hand over the neck opening because I know what's coming next!)
You've got to get this on video woman! :lol:

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So for those who might be interested, I did try the shirtless approach to holding Snerky the other night to keep her out of my shirt/nesty place. She spent the whole time trying to get into my undergarments! o_O

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Silly Snerky.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Silly Snerky.
I said to her, "Baby girl, this is downright pitiful. Must you?" :hilarious: No response but determined scrabbling, of course. I did hear a couple of little squeaks of effort/annoyance over the course of her epic struggle, though. Poor thing!

Happynme

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
I said to her, "Baby girl, this is downright pitiful. Must you?" :hilarious: No response but determined scrabbling, of course. I did hear a couple of little squeaks of effort/annoyance over the course of her epic struggle, though. Poor thing!
Poor lil.snerky.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor lil.snerky.
I KNOW, I felt so guilty that I held her with my shirt on last night. And then the little eel came up and gave my collarbone a really good pinch when I blocked her from exiting the neck hole of the shirt! I didn't feel bad anymore after that! :mad: BAD GIRL! Yet somehow she is still so cute when I have fished her out and am lecturing her, her little chicken legs sticking out as she is looking so unimpressed with mama's outrage. Totally unrepentant attitude. She's like, "Well you're the one who wouldn't let me do what I wanted, so of course you were pinched. You have only yourself to blame for the unacceptable thwarting of my whims and wishes, so whatever. And by the way, don't talk to me in that tone, or I will do it AGAIN, even harder!" I think she is the only bird I've ever had that talks back so RUDELY when I say NO, etc. I've been squeaked at in rebellion by the others, but never growled/yelled at or pinched for it before her!

Heck, she growled at me the other night for daring to get up to turn the fan on a few minutes after I had put us both to bed. EXCUSE me, little monster! :roflmao:

Happynme

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
I KNOW, I felt so guilty that I held her with my shirt on last night. And then the little eel came up and gave my collarbone a really good pinch when I blocked her from exiting the neck hole of the shirt! I didn't feel bad anymore after that! :mad: BAD GIRL! Yet somehow she is still so cute when I have fished her out and am lecturing her, her little chicken legs sticking out as she is looking so unimpressed with mama's outrage. Totally unrepentant attitude. She's like, "Well you're the one who wouldn't let me do what I wanted, so of course you were pinched. You have only yourself to blame for the unacceptable thwarting of my whims and wishes, so whatever. And by the way, don't talk to me in that tone, or I will do it AGAIN, even harder!" I think she is the only bird I've ever had that talks back so RUDELY when I say NO, etc. I've been squeaked at in rebellion by the others, but never growled/yelled at or pinched for it before her!

Heck, she growled at me the other night for daring to get up to turn the fan on a few minutes after I had put us both to bed. EXCUSE me, little monster! :roflmao:
Keeping mama in line arent you miss snerk :rofl:

Odin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
She's like, "Well you're the one who wouldn't let me do what I wanted, so of course you were pinched. You have only yourself to blame for the unacceptable thwarting of my whims and wishes, so whatever. And by the way, don't talk to me in that tone, or I will do it AGAIN, even harder!" I think she is the only bird I've ever had that talks back so RUDELY when I say NO, etc. I've been squeaked at in rebellion by the others, but never growled/yelled at or pinched for it before her!
Yes, this is Sherbert..... sigh

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, this is Sherbert..... sigh
I love her personality, but sometimes the "battles" with these more outspoken girls can be tiring. It's like a defiant teenager versus a toddler! They are way more stubborn and willful than we are. And of course no one likes getting hole-punched, no matter how cute the hole-puncher is! I am hoping my other little girl has a quieter personality, but I'm not counting on it, lol. This stuff just comes with the territory. When she is old, I'm sure we will have more peaceful snuggly times. ;)