• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Which medium sized bird specie is the best for me?

Coki

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Alright, firstly, I'm deeply sorry if I posted this in the wrong section, I still get confused a lot of where to post D:

Alright, as some of you may know, I recently got a beautiful handfed rosy Bourke and I own seven budgies that have their own aviary.

But I'm thinking that id love to get a more cuddly type of bird. Don't get me wrong, I love my birds. The budgies are way too independant and Citrus is 'cuddly' in his own way. He wont like being petted but he does accept a few kisses sometime and loves to Han out with me.

I know getting a mid-sized bird could be dangerous for him because of his size, but I I ever do get one I'll make sure both of the birds het free time out of the cages and time with me. I work from home so I have plenty of time to share with my birds.

this being said, what I am looking in a bird is probably affection. I would love a bird that would like to be scritched but at the same time I'd lik a bit of independence. I don't want a bird to need me to live but id like a pal. Of course I wouldn't mind if this birds is with me all the time I'm home, but I don't want a bird that suffers terrible if it have to be in its cage for a few hours. I also would prefer if this new bird gets used to my Bourke. But I know its too much to ask.

I guess cudleness come with territoriality. Since in example, Citrus, my Bourke, is very independant and doesn't seem to mind having some time by himself or even hanging out with strangers. I know its also depends on how you rise the bird.

The birds I liked most are: Galah cockatoo (discarded due hormones, that seem to hit cockatoos very hardly), Mini Macaws (Any of them, but I am considering severe or maracana) and Hawk headed, but I heard they are hard, but somehow a combination of conjres and amazons, and since they are easy too territorial I'm not sure.

Which specie do you guys believe that would fit me best?

thank you for reading!

QBird

Jogging around the block
Hi and please accept my apologies if this is too blunt.

You can not guarantee cuddly forever with any bird. when it's not in the mood it is not in the mood.

First you have recently acquired another bird.. how long ago has this bird been quarantined? and would you risk your others for a new introduction which may not get on or as you rightly say could injure them would you have the time.

I have a cuddly Severe and will honestly say he's more work then the bigger macs which I have kept. He's extremely intelligent and bold with a highly volatile personality but at the same time loving and sweet, he's certainly a big big character. I keep a stick with me for the moments he is frustrated, normally when I try and stop him adding a new hole to something more precious then a door, desk or keyboard. Add to this I am 100% sure this bird would bite if I ignored the signals. He's a great challenge and extremely rewarding at the same time. He is a mature bird. I find the warnings about severe's to be too severe but at the same time I think that if the birds are similar to mine you really have to adapt to the bird, and these birds need understanding and lots of time to be happy. Also foraging I think is a must for any birds but these guys especially as they seem to have enough energy for two macaws rolled into one. If they cannot use it something will pay for this. I would also add that the only trouble maker bird I have that is not allowed among my other birds save a couple with careful supervision is the Severe, he is not a bird that shares very well with other birds. This means that it is a family affair having to give all the birds time or birds like this Severe would be less likely to have the attention and constant training that he needs.

I would also add no bird is easy a conure can become very nippy if all it's needs are not met and will scream for hours if bored or feeling lonely. they need their own special care to cater for their needs, Amazons also are not what could be referred to as easy as these birds are also very intelligent and have often been handed in with a myriad of issues and problems from biting, shouting, plucking etc, also I would add from what I have read a hormonal Amazon is not the easiest or most pleasant of creatures to be around.

However if you have the facilities and insist on another mid sized bird I would recommend taking your time doing the research and working out which bird or birds you think are best for you, if possible hang out with them and find the right bird once and for all.

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My hawkhead most definitely is not cuddly and has quite a temper. They are said to be difficult birds to work with. I won't say Target is difficult but she certainly isn't easy; she has quite the hard bite and you need to be very good at reading their body language. Another thing I will say about my hawkhead is that she does not tolerate other birds at all. She hates all other birds and can and will seriously injure a bird like a bourke if they were let out together. That said, I love my hawkhead girl, but she likely isn't what you're looking for.

Coki

Avenue Veteran
Firstly, thank you a lot for your replies!

Qbird, thank you for giving such an explanation about your severe. I'm quite sure they are not easy bird and I am not planning to get any bird soon. I just wanted to know which species probably suit what I am looking for. I know getting lots of birds is hard since its double work, plus training and giving them the time is a hard task if you keep many and especially if they are different species. I also know birds are not as dogs and they wont be cuddly forever, ofc I don't want a bird just because of that, but id like a "trainable" bird, that enjoy some preening once in a while, obviously on its terms.

I am now days researching for many species and I guess some day I will find the right specie for me. I wouldn't mind if I had to let the birds out separately but I do understand that is easier to have a medium sized bird as only pet.

JosienBB, Thank you for your reply as well. As far as I been researching on Hh I realized they are very territorial and do prefer to be kept alone. There isn't much info on them online, but I read that when they caught wild birds they actually used another HH to sing and the wild one would come not to meet but to attack the foreign bird. I've heard they don't even get along with their own specie. So I guess its a no.

MyAussieFriends

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
What I would reccomend to you is a green cheek conure .They may be smaller than what you are hoping for, but I really think a smaller parrot would fit Into what you are looking for the most.

Green cheek conures are super spunky little guys. They are about the same size as a cockatiel, so slightly larger than the Bourke's and budgies.

Behavior wise they are very different from the bourkes and budgies. They can be super interactive, cuddly and playful. They also arent as neurotic as the bigger guys, so he would be perfectly fine on his own for a little bit each day.

They are similar in size to the bourkes and budgies, so they would be fine to hang around them.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I agree. A conure species may be what you're looking for. :)

Coki

Avenue Veteran
Thank you guys! I will add then tk the "non-end" research list!

Chantilly Lace

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
A Pionus is always a good choice, and Caiques are such little clowns. Pancha is a very good bird, not too demanding, very quiet, and just the right amount of cuddle bug. And she was bought from a huge breeder, didn't have any interaction since being handed for over a year, and she was still very sweet.

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
A Pionus is always a good choice, and Caiques are such little clowns. Pancha is a very good bird, not too demanding, very quiet, and just the right amount of cuddle bug. And she was bought from a huge breeder, didn't have any interaction since being handed for over a year, and she was still very sweet.
I agree pionus are great medium birds. However keep in mind female pionus may be more cuddly than male pionus. My 2 boys are not cuddly.

firdy num num

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Eden
I agree with @Bokkapooh and @MyAussieFriends. I also think a conure species would suit you, are all your birds particularly loud? I haven't owned a conure but I was thinking of it. I was ABOUT to get a Sun conure but then I took in Paris, she won my heart. :xflove: It's totally up to you, what do you think your heart is telling you? ;)

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I agree pionus are great medium birds. However keep in mind female pionus may be more cuddly than male pionus. My 2 boys are not cuddly.
And also, male Pi's are not a beginner bird at all. From age 1-3 they can be small little demons.

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
And also, male Pi's are not a beginner bird at all. From age 1-3 they can be small little demons.
Yes very much so. I have a little demon...we are 3 1/2 months from 3 year old hurdle but somehow I doubt the little devil is going to settle down in 3 months. ...darn. Good thing I love him anyway. ;) Many male pionus especially wcp get rehomed in 1-3 year old period

Coki

Avenue Veteran
seems like I got homework! Lol.

I was thinking on a conure. My birds aren't loud at all, I'm owned by seven budgies and a Bourke parakeet. Still I don't mind noise at all.

I will research on the species you told me. Thank you a lot.

Coki

Avenue Veteran
Now i feel dumb, lol. I said "I am going to research on conures" and i just reminded that the Patagonian conure (loro barranquero in Spanish) is a native specie, is large but has all the qualities of a conure. I totally have to research a lot on conures, it is a native specie and i know someone who breeds them. I've seen some wild ones and they are beautiful! I guess its time to get to the conure section xP