• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

some advice

angelawonder

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Angela
Boo is a goffin cockatoo. 8 1/2 months old. Just yesterday he started biting my fingers hard. Again today. Not drawing blood but it hurts. I put him away in his cage when he does that. I'm trying to figure out if its just a developmental stage to test his boundaries. Maybe he doesn't like holidays. Theres more noise in the neighborhood. Any advice? He is flighted and he uses that to his advantage. I put him in timeout and he comes right back. So i used the cage today. And its not constant. It was a couple of bites yesterday and today. I realize having a bird means a bite now and then but i would like to lessen those as much as possible.

nellysmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Diane
I'm sure others will weigh in but I never use my TOOs cage for "punishment". I think the biting might be testing boundaries. Try a stern NO or if he has a playstand or perch putting him on it for a few minutes. By moving him away from you it's showing him the behavior is unacceptable. Learning to read their body language is very helpful. If it looks like he might bite then again move him away from you

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What precedes the bite?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
@lupe Most likely he is testing you.

lupe

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
I have more questions than answers first. .how long have you had him?..is this new behavior? ..what's his history? ..is he on a decent diet? ..does he do fly by bites?..does he behave this way only with you?..what is the scenario in you home? ..there are SO many things that could be causing this. .they are very complex creatures, and as such. .have there pissed off moments..personally with my boy ..I've learned the hard way to simply "read him"..to the point that I know what his next move is...BUT.. the second I let my guard down. .well..I learn again and am reminded that in the company of toos..there will always be drawbacks. .painful ones at that. .

Last edited:

lupe

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
BTW..I too do not use placing him in his cage as punishment. .after a bite ..I DO NOT react..which I've learned to deal with. .however I do place him in his cage ...and 10 minutes later I let him out, kiss him, say lovie..lovie and it's like nothing happened. .so no negative reaction on my part means no negative reaction on placing him in his cage for a time out..IMHO..

angelawonder

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Angela
I have had him since May. I hand fed him. He is starting to play harder and harder is what I am noticing. He also just recently got into shelled almonds which makes me think he's learning the strength of his beak. We took in 2 rescue parakeets. The parakeets used to be in the room with the big birds, but since one is a senior we decided to move all the parakeets to a quieter part of the house. He is still getting blood feathers in such a long time for him to grow feathers. He went off formula about a month ago. I have been introducing lots of new foods to him, new nuts and seeds, veggies, fruits, and birdy bread. He is definitely a food player (thought about putting his food in a big cardboard box lid so he doesn't make such a huge mess). The first bite happened when he was playing in the treat bowl and flinging nuts out and when one of the times I put an almond in he chomped on my finger. Last night he was playing trying to eat the buttons on my jeans while I was sitting, so I kept moving him away. Then I put a towel over my buttons to stop him from going to them. He started playing around with other stuff, getting pets then he chomped on my finger so I put him on the arm of the chair and hid my hands, then he chomped on my on the crease at my elbow. Thats when I put him in the cage.

parrotluv

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Well I raise african greys, and I must say they first go through a beaking stage, where they are basically learning the strength of their beak. During those bites I gently say no bite and distract with a toy. Once they wean they seem to go through the testing period, which I think is what your Too is going through. I usually use a stern No and give the stern face look. Turn my back and then return as nothing has happened. If they are on my hand and reach to bite because perhaps it is time to go back to cage, I use the wobble and this usually stops the biting, it usually lasts about a month until they learn their boundaries.

lupe

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
:) Bottom line. .he's testing the water. .Be Patient. .it will pass. .

angelawonder

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Angela
:) Bottom line. .he's testing the water. .Be Patient. .it will pass. .
Very true, today he did get really rough with his toys and paid me no attention until I had to go to work and he needed to go back in his cage. But he's running at his toys grabbing them and flipping over onto his back. Crazy too!

lupe

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
:) Listen. Don't over think the situation. .it's all about enjoying there company. .one day at a time...slowly but surely. .

lupe

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
Very true, today he did get really rough with his toys and paid me no attention until I had to go to work and he needed to go back in his cage. But he's running at his toys grabbing them and flipping over onto his back. Crazy too![/quo

There are CERTAIN toys that will excite Elvis to aggressive behavior. .once you have decided which ones they are ..please get rid of them. .I had to or he would attack me when I interviend..

lupe

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
:lol:

Ya have a youngin who's gonna constantly test you. .keep your guard sharp AND don't take bites personally..invest in a few bandaid boxes. .and Neospotin..lol

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
At 8 and a half months old, you've a baby exploring his world, and pushing boundaries. Outsmart him. :D Watch that body language, and try and give him something to distract him when you see him getting excited. I'm just guessing it's when he's excited the bites are happening?

Toos are infamous for becoming over stimulated. When this happens, nips bites and tantrums can occur.

When he was smaller did you play a little rough? Toos are the perfect bird for rolling around, hugging, scuffling with. But that rough play is not always a good idea. I did with one of my birds, and it backfired on me! Perhaps try and keep your play on a more even keel. If he's likes rough housing, get him toys that he can roll around, bite and throw. Try not to use your hands, arms, or body for any of this type of play. When they start to mature, those playful nips can become something drastically different!

As Lupe says, don't overthink this too much. It does sound like a juvenile behavior that will slowly fade as long as you don't reward him for it. I can't say not to react, having a Too hanging off my lip sure caused a reaction in me! and there was no way I could stay calm when it happened. But do keep your squeals, jumping, and screeching to a bare minimum. :p All those sounds are music to a playful cockatoo. He'll try his hardest if he learns a nip will bring on sure fun! :roflmao:

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I agree with Becky. It sounds like he's wound up and let's you have it. I'd have lots of toys for him to "kill". Maybe try hands-on time once he's played hard and settles down.

lupe

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
:jawdrop1: Omg..Becky off you lip..darn girl ..thankfully E has only gotten as close as my left ear. .hurt like hell..little stinker. .but it happened so fast I didn't have time to react..just ran for the band aid box..and he flew back to his cage..once again. .let my guard down for literally 2 minutes. The joys of a fully flighted cockatoo

lupe

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
Very true, today he did get really rough with his toys and paid me no attention until I had to go to work and he needed to go back in his cage. But he's running at his toys grabbing them and flipping over onto his back. Crazy too!

Oh..from my experience I have found just "certain toys ..brings out a strong aggressive reaction. .you might want to deduct those from the equation. .lol..

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
:jawdrop1: Omg..Becky off you lip..darn girl ..thankfully E has only gotten as close as my left ear. .hurt like hell..little stinker. .but it happened so fast I didn't have time to react..just ran for the band aid box..and he flew back to his cage..once again. .let my guard down for literally 2 minutes. The joys of a fully flighted cockatoo
lmao...at least my lip hanging Too is a little Goffin! Imagine your whopping boy doing the same. :wacky: