• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

This bird is on a suicide mission

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
I brought 3 month old Lovebird Sherbet (Sherbie) home this Sunday. 1st day was good... he was nervous but OK. Yesterday and today, not so much. He has a huge flight cage but we let him out a lot. In his previous home, I understand that he might've been out pretty much all the time.

1st problem is that he really doesn't know what to do with toys. I can show him a little bit of how to play but he largely ignores or runs away from whatever I show him.

This leads us to problem #2-- if he's in his cage for anything other than eating/sleeping, he turns in to a complete and utter maniac. He uses anything to get attention. Flips that nearly get him injured (wings, feet), PACING back and forth on the cage bottom, poor flying... you name it. (his wings are clipped and it's obvious that he wants to fly!) I'd have no problem with him flying but he's a danger to himself.

Now when he's out of the cage, he'll be a good boy (ie; no trouble) for about a minute or two. Then he decides he wants nothing more than to be on the floor. (Again, clipped wings so poor landing) We do not want him on the floor. We're tall people, so there's a chance we'd accidentally step on him. There's also stuff he could ingest if he found something he thought edible, and there's tons of ways he could get stuck under furniture/etc. We cannot dissuade this behavior. It's an absolute mad dash to get to the floor for him. I cannot do anything to distract him. While I don't have a play area outside of the cage, I don't think it would make a bit of difference.

I'm absolutely wracking my brain and I'm stuck. I can't figure out what to do about all of this. I need help if anyone can offer some solutions. I also know that he's still adjusting, but I can't just keep him in his cage all day, but outside of his cage he's a danger to himself as well. I'm feeling like I can't win.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
He isn't interested in toys, so I don't see why a gym would do much for him.

alcmene

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
He will learn. Right now, he's just a baby and he's in a brand new environment. As he settles in and feels more comfortable, he'll start playing

My Safe Bird Store sells a cage top play gym (in a regular and deluxe version) that is AWESOME. It can be attached to any cage and moved around. My lovie adores it.

Try getting one of those and just leaving Sherbie's cage door open. I bet within a few days he climbs up to investigate it

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ahhh, baby lovebirds. Some of them are utterly insane and cannot be still or stay out of trouble! When Twinkie was a baby, he drove me cccrrraaazzzy (see my user pic - do not believe the sweet and innocent look). OMG. :hilarious: Good luck!

tattoosiva

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
As its been less than a week I would give him more time to settle
and get used to the surroundings.

Being to young, personality traits and behaviour are still developing, a month from now his favorite place could be the top of his cage or your shoulder and not the floor.

Give it time ;)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@fluffypoptarts - at what age did the craziness slow down just a little????<----asks hopefully :hehe:

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@fluffypoptarts - at what age did the craziness slow down just a little????<----asks hopefully :hehe:
LOL!! It depends on the bird, but it took Twink a while (and I'm sure some of them are never crazy, lol, but I got lucky and Twinkie has extra crazy). Slight changes at 6 months, but I think he was at least a year old before he became noticeably less crazy. He has continued to mellow slightly with age (he's four now) and no longer seems to be trying for all he's worth to drive me insane, haha. Problem is, sometimes a little birdy decides that humans are his/her favorite toys! Twink would much rather hang off of my arm, wing around the room, or squeak down at me from the fan than play with his birdy toys.