• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The proper way to introduce two birds two each other

lamagdalena

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
I haven't introduced birds two each in over 6 years, I'm a little rusty.

This year I lost two of my wonderful little budgies (Dior and Dolce). Yoshi passed away two years ago, and so that left little Ramon all by himself.

I have adopted a new budgie, named Tweety who is currently under quarantine. My plan is for them to be buddies and live in the same cage.

So I am planning in bringing Tweety in his little cage in the bird room and placing it right next to Ramon. Let me them see each other, talk and chirp to each other. Perhaps a day or so later if they show positive signs, let Tweety in Ramon's cage and have them explore.

sound good?

Mr Peepers

Cruising the avenue
Congratulations on the new arrival. :) This sounds exactly like what I do when I introduce a newb to the current flock of buds or bud.

When I place the new cage beside the current larger cage the regular flock members or single budgie go and check out the new cage and new bird climbing all over and around the outside bars, I see chatting and positive body language so I open the door on the new birds cage and let it make up its mind if it wants to come out with the other birds or not. The other bird or birds always invade the cage and have a look around and introduce themselves to the newb steal food from its dish play with the new birds toys and then leave the cage. I have never seen any of my budgies attack or intimidate any new bird I introduce it always goes so well.

The new bird never stays in its cage after the other buds drop in and visit.. the current flock will head out to their cage where there is a large play center up top and treats.. the newb always follows and joins the other bird or birds.. Always.

I love introducing a new bird to the current flock or bud its so much fun watching the interactions between them all and see what will happen during the day and which bud will try and hang out with the newb. Later in the day the new bird will go into the big cage when the other bird or birds go inside to have dinner and settle for the night.

I clean the other smaller temp cage and put it away I've have never needed to move a bird back to its cage and separate them once its moved in with the other bird or birds.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congratulations. Make sure you quarantine the new bird for at least 30-45 days.

lamagdalena

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
Congratulations on the new arrival. :) This sounds exactly like what I do when I introduce a newb to the current flock of buds or bud.

When I place the new cage beside the current larger cage the regular flock members or single budgie go and check out the new cage and new bird climbing all over and around the outside bars, I see chatting and positive body language so I open the door on the new birds cage and let it make up its mind if it wants to come out with the other birds or not. The other bird or birds always invade the cage and have a look around and introduce themselves to the newb steal food from its dish play with the new birds toys and then leave the cage. I have never seen any of my budgies attack or intimidate any new bird I introduce it always goes so well.

The new bird never stays in its cage after the other buds drop in and visit.. the current flock will head out to their cage where there is a large play center up top and treats.. the newb always follows and joins the other bird or birds.. Always.

I love introducing a new bird to the current flock or bud its so much fun watching the interactions between them all and see what will happen during the day and which bud will try and hang out with the newb. Later in the day the new bird will go into the big cage when the other bird or birds go inside to have dinner and settle for the night.

I clean the other smaller temp cage and put it away I've have never needed to move a bird back to its cage and separate them once its moved in with the other bird or birds.
excellent! thank you for the detailed response. :highfive:

lamagdalena

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
Congratulations. Make sure you quarantine the new bird for at least 30-45 days.
yes he is under qurantine at the moment. I took him to the vet last week, all tests came back negative and his psittacosis results should be in sometime this week.

MyAussieFriends

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
I find that budgies are the easiest birds to introduce to each other.

Once quarantine is over, I move the new budgies cage into the bird room. I let all the budgies out and place some millet in neutral territory (away from both of their cages).

Keep a watchful eye and see how they interact. Usually they bond very quickly.

I like to keep the big cage door open during these meetings. I feel that once they get sleepy and all go into the same cage to sleep, it is time to move them all in together.

SueA555

Real Name
Sue Anderson
Your plan sounds very good. I never had a problem with new budgies being friends with older ones.