• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Stressful nail cutting

Ocean

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aqua
Maui is due to have her nails done again, and she's not entirely tame, but my sister picks her up and pets her little head. What stresses me out is if she is never tamed, my dad says she won't be allowed out of her cage, which is so sad.

wyrinth

Avenue Veteran
What is considered "tame"? There are many different definition. A good list from another website:
WILD
1. Frightened -
Will fly away from you at high speed and may crash into objects
2. Very Wild - Will fly away from you when approached
3. Moderately Wild - Will only fly away from you if you attempt to pick up the bird
4. Semi Wild - Will ask for food (chickadees, Canada jays, geese, pigeons, grackles)
5. Partially Wild -
Will try and communicate with you to meet their needs (doves on a feeder)
6. Tame - Will allow you to pick them up and will perch on your finger
7. Very Tame - Will sit on or near you for long periods of time - will accept treats
8. Extremely Tame - Will come to you wanting to be picked up, will land on your head
9. Almost Bonded - Will express affection by wing shaking, kissing, snuggling, etc.
10. Bonded - Females will lay eggs for you -males will do bow coos for you.
BONDED

Ocean

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aqua
Well she already accepts treats from us, and she likes to be near us, either sitting close or if we are in another room, sometimes she will fly down from her cage to come look for us, it's pretty cute. She just has to be able to be handled a bit in case she gets into trouble. My sister picks her up now and again, she's not thrilled about it though and normally can't wait to be put back down. I don't really mind if she doesn't want to be picked up, but my dad isn't and says if she doesn't become less scared of being picked up, then she won't be able to roam around anymore.

wyrinth

Avenue Veteran
Linnies are notorious for being hand shy. My one linnie is hand shy, but I have some success in getting him to perch on a stick.

Can I ask why she needs to be handled when she's out? It seems like you can pick her up when needed.

Ocean

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aqua
It's not me who says she has to be more handlable, it's my dad, he says if she runs away all the time when she needs to be picked up, then she can't be out of the cage. I've tried explaining that linnies are hand shy, but he doesnt care.