• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

chestnuts are here again

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
Yes and Mango is very happy im sure if he had a choice it would be chestnuts all yr but they dry out very fast is there any way to keep them fresh longer
how many of you give your birds chestnuts ?? I also bought fresh walnuts yep my last lot are stale Mango wont touch them so out they go
IF anyone has any idea how to keep them please let me know
In the next few days ill try and get pics of him with one he sure knows how to strip them and fou :coffeescreen: nd out if it drops on the floor its gone ,,lol He holds it very tight ,,lol
wont have time till Saturday for pics but will get then
but would love to know how to keep them longer

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Never tried a chestnut. Will have to look into those for my zons

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
I buy them every year at this time its the ones we eat , I did try one yr getting from a tree near me but it was to messy and they were the sweet ines but I ended tossing them out

Mango wont touch a stail walnut or almon nut im sure even though id never chance it woukd he touch a horse chestnut
Birds are smarter than we give them credit for

at 5.00 a lb im sure there safe if they wernt Mango would not be around,,,lol cause I buy them every year for him , have from the first year I got him
its like people eating mushrooms some you wouldn't ever pick if wild but in stores you jusy buy cause you know there the safe ones

it is said birds cant have onions but theres not much I don't cook that hasent got onions in it and hes eaten all my food with it in but id never give him a raw onion same as tomatoe but he eats spageti how many of you give it to your birds , no mater how you look at it tomato is just that

my question was how to keep chestnuts fresh longer there only in stors for about a week and they will be gone till this time next year . id love to be able to keep them for a few weeks

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
If you buy them at the supermarket... you are OK.
Horse chestnuts are for horses... or donkeys, etc.

I freeze them in groups of 3 for extra long periods. Works out great!
Just dont peel them- the outside is like their little bio-dome.

Spoil in a week is relative.... mine can last for 2 weeks- depending on how fresh they are. If you slice it open and it isnt fresh, you will know. (kinda like bananas)

Last edited:

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
thanks didn't know you could freeze them lol cant peal them Mango loves getting the nut out of the skin now if they still have them im going to get a few lbs for the freezer and keep Mango happy for a while
do your birds love them to and yes I get them from the supermarket ,,lol I also know where theres a great tfe of them but to messy ty I will buy them,,lol
thanks will try freezing a few befor buying

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
thanks didn't know you could freeze them lol cant peal them Mango loves getting the nut out of the skin now if they still have them im going to get a few lbs for the freezer and keep Mango happy for a while
do your birds love them to and yes I get them from the supermarket ,,lol I also know where theres a great tfe of them but to messy ty I will buy them,,lol
thanks will try freezing a few befor buying
My CAG goes crazy.... well....she does with just about any nut. I slice the end off the chestnut- or crack the walnut, and she likes to handle the rest.
Chestnuts are extremely low fat (for a nut) and are nutrient dense (as special foods go). My baby gets one nuts a day- walnut, pecan, chestnut.... mostly in the shell so it becomes a forage game and a pleasant reward ;)

There are some african greys and ringnecks here in the tree in the backyard- they go after the dates. I have never given Siva a palm date....
But I put a tray of nuts that are 'almost' to expiration (almonds, walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts), and they go crazy. Fights break out.... so i cant do it anymore :(

Reminds me- why have I not given her a date? silly me.

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
My CAG goes crazy.... well....she does with just about any nut. I slice the end off the chestnut- or crack the walnut, and she likes to handle the rest.
Chestnuts are extremely low fat (for a nut) and are nutrient dense (as special foods go). My baby gets one nuts a day- walnut, pecan, chestnut.... mostly in the shell so it becomes a forage game and a pleasant reward ;)

There are some african greys and ringnecks here in the tree in the backyard- they go after the dates. I have never given Siva a palm date....
But I put a tray of nuts that are 'almost' to expiration (almonds, walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts), and they go crazy. Fights break out.... so i cant do it anymore :(

Reminds me- why have I not given her a date? silly me.
Mango wont eat nuts that don't have the shell , he also knows when a nut is stale I give Mango all the nuts he wants walnuts almons Hazelnuts are to hard to crack for me and if I crack it to much he wont touch it I find there is a lot of waist in nuts as Mango eats it crumbs are falling I am sure he only gets about 1/3 of what hes eating so theres always nuts on his tray , I bought a good seed mix and lucky if he nibbles once a week I am sure no one will ever make Mango a seed eater he loves real food in my home there is no such thing as treats unless its something like chestnuts only get them for a short time . and Mango you can only bribe him with egg salad for that im sure hed kill for :hehe: for that he will go in his cage but only for that,,lol
I am glad a few feed chestnuts to there birds Im also glad I don't have to ration then or seeds but do egg salad :hehe:

thanks again for info

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
I just juve as they come I put a slit in the shell and he peals it and eats the nut he makes sure to hold it tight ,,lol cause if it drops its gone Mango dosent care about losing other nuts but a chestnut that to him is a crime,,lol they will soon be gone so get it they only have them about a week

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have to remember to get these to see if my zons like them . . . .