• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Turkey day - Reynolds cooking bag?

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I didn't know what was in those bags so I hit the contact us button and asked what was in them. Here is the response (minus my name).

Dear

Thank you for your inquiry regarding Reynolds® Oven Bags. Heat-resistant nylon resin is used in the manufacture of Reynolds Oven Bags and ties. This resin is in compliance with U.S. Food and Drug Administration regulations, which govern the use of plastics in oven cooking. Regulations permitting such use have been in existence since the product was first introduced over 30 years ago. Our oven bags do not contain Teflon®, PTFE (Polytetrafluoroethylene - the chemical name for Teflon), or any related compounds.Regards,

Consumer Response Team
Ref # 1313554

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
So does anybody out there use them?

Mr Peepers

Cruising the avenue
I've used them with duck and chicken never with turkey.. I prefer tinfoil with turkey as you are checking on the bird a little more often and basting so its a pain in the butt to keep opening the bag and closing it with a larger turkey.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I've used them in the past - it keeps the turkey moist and I don't have to do a thing to it!

I just can't remember if I've cooked in a bag since the amazons moved in. That's why I reached out to the company, I thought someone said the bags had something bad in them. The company says no teflon.

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wouldn't chance it. THis from Parrot Outreach Society:

REYNOLDS COOKING BAGS ALERT

It has been reported the new Reynolds cooking bags made of aluminium and plastic made for the oven can be used up to 450...Someone used 2 bags at 375 for 40 minutes. 30 minutes later found her Amazon closest to the kitchen pumping for air and eyes were burnt from the fumes...Metallic fumes filled the air...There is no doubt this bird would have been dead in another 10 minutes...Other birds suffered eye irritations. She called the company and reported it.

Please post this where you think you may save birds lives..

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I wouldn't chance it. THis from Parrot Outreach Society:

REYNOLDS COOKING BAGS ALERT

It has been reported the new Reynolds cooking bags made of aluminium and plastic made for the oven can be used up to 450...Someone used 2 bags at 375 for 40 minutes. 30 minutes later found her Amazon closest to the kitchen pumping for air and eyes were burnt from the fumes...Metallic fumes filled the air...There is no doubt this bird would have been dead in another 10 minutes...Other birds suffered eye irritations. She called the company and reported it.

Please post this where you think you may save birds lives..
Judy,

No disrespect intended - but that was why I went straight to the company. I had googled, found that comment and saw that it was spread around the internet - but nobody knows WHO posted this (some comments were heated about it on another forum) or even what year it was supposed to have happened . . . . (who knows, company said they've been around for more than 30 years!).

And why would you use TWO bags on a turkey anyway? I can't imagine why that person would have put TWO bags on ONE turkey, did they not read the instructions?

The bags I've always used were the ones I asked about - and they're made out of nylon resin according to the company (see their response above).

Has any roadie used these since they had birds?

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Not offended. I was just trying to Google to see if I could find anything. That is what popped up on about 5 different sites. :)

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@itzmered THANK YOU!

My in-laws will be here and she's an awesome cook. I just don't want a dry turkey for dinner and I know this method worked for me before. I'll still keep an eye on the parrots.

I never, ever opened the bag - I just monitored to see when the timer popped out and it worked before.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Also I have heard Reynolds wrap foil is not good. One of them has a nonstick element. Can't remember which offhand though. I've always heard the bags were a no no.

Chantilly Lace

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
I remember reading that they were not safe.

BTW, this is the BEST turkey recipe ever. You cannot mess it up. It seems like a low temp, but trust me, it makes such a moist, wonderful tasting bird. Everyone raves about it. Throw some cut oranges and onions in the pan for extra moisture (you cannot taste the oranges, it just keeps the bird moist). Yum!

How to Cook a Turkey | How to Cook a Thanksgiving Turkey

Solayan

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sarah
When I do turkey I cover it in cheesecloth that's been soaked in some unsalted melted butter. It locks in the moisture so well I don't even need to baste.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
When I do turkey I cover it in cheesecloth that's been soaked in some unsalted melted butter. It locks in the moisture so well I don't even need to baste.
WOW, never heard of that!

I've heard of cheesecloth (raised on a farm), but my Mom just used a dishcloth to strain the milk, etc.

I don't believe I drank pasteurized milk until I was a teenager. You've never lived until you see yellow clumps (cream) floating on your chocolate milk

Kimberla

Avenue Veteran
I have used the bags for years and never had a problem with them. I have 4 birds around the house and they are just off of the kitchen area. Never had an issue!

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have used the bags for years and never had a problem with them. I have 4 birds around the house and they are just off of the kitchen area. Never had an issue!
YOU ARE AWESOME!!!!

I just posted that I believed I did one here before I found AA. I had a big turkey day bash with both families and Secret was here then - she was talking up a storm to a great-nephew. Hubby was plotting to send her home with him.

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
From the time I got Peanut until I moved out, around 6 years, they were used around her fairly frequently (my father uses them for turkey and sometimes even chicken.)
We never had any issues and I never noticed any smell besides delicious food. It was a two story home though and my bedroom was downstairs, kitchen up.

I do not use them myself, though I was under the impression they contained PTFE but it looks like that is not the case.

tarad

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tracey
This is an interesting thread. I always used the cooking bags in the past until I got my first bird and then I was told the bags were a big "no no." So I gave any bags I had left to my mom. Supposedly, my sister in law had a bird die years ago from using a cooking bag. I mean MANY years ago, before I even knew her. Maybe the bags were different when they first came out. I just use foil now and honestly, my turkey is still nice and moist.

Gypsy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Denise
I would not use cook any foods in plastic out of fear of chemicals leaching out. I have read too many articles about this happening so I just don't trust any plastics even the hard ones.

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
I have used Reynolds plastic cooking bags for years. I've had two birds during that time that are close to kitchen and they have never been the least distressed. I really don't think they release anything toxic unless under some unusual circumstance such as heat hot enough to melt or burn them.