• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Kiwi

Sophia101

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sophia
As requested I have decided to make this thread dedicated to Kiwi pics and updates. Thanks to all of those who bothered to ask for them. So first here is his story.
Now I am not exactly sure how he came to be, rather from a pet store or home/breeder bred. After a long while of begging I finally got my family to agree to a GCC from a small breeder only 30 minutes away. They had 2 male regulars available and 3 female Pineapples for sale. Sadly once they agreed they were all sold. So I hit the Craigslist and searched for weeks with no luck on a GCC. I am one of those people who happens to look at all of the posts with cute pictures. I had wanted an IRN before but the ones from breeders were VERY expensive. Luckily on Craigslist with all of the cute pictures I found two green IRN's and a Sun Conure. When I saw that picture I knew I had to have one. The sun was also out of my price range but the IRN's were in it. Although we would have to drive much longer we still sent them a message. Turns out that they were leaving the country and had to get rid of their lovely birds. We met them half way and they wrangled Kiwi into the cage I had brought. I was horrified by how they mercilessly grabbed his eyes shut and threw him into the cage and was glad to quickly pay and leave. During the ride I gave him treats and talked with him. When we arrived home I tried to get him to step up. Instead he bit me and wouldn't let go. When I finally freed my fingers he willingly hopped into the cage. After that I realized, I couldn't touch him except to give him treats. :arghh: I was horrified and hated that these people had conned me into thinking I was getting a hand tamed parrot. I nearly gave up then and their but soon found that he would do anything for a treat. I used this to my advantage and although he refused to hop up onto bare skin he would step up onto a clothed arm. After that everything was easy and long story short he is now the cuddle bug he is today. Although he still nips playfully and when he wants to get my attention. He was 7 months old when I got him and now he is ... 9 months.

He now steps up onto bare skin and doesn't bite fingers. Only ears when they are poking out from my hair.

Info:
Name: Kiwi Boy (Kiwi)
Gender: Male? He does the male dance and is getting a shadow ring so maybe.
Color: Green with shadow ring! Can't wait till it fills out.
Fav Toy: ANYTHING wooden. His mirror.
Fav Treat: Nuts and dehydrated fruit.
Fav Spot: Boing, Mirror or me.
Dislikes: My cockatiels, sometimes still bare skin, Things he can't break.

Now for Pictures!!!
Me and Kiwi.jpg Me and Kiwi 2.jpg Me and Kiwi 3.jpg Me and Kiwi 4.jpg Me and Kiwi 5.jpg Me and Kiwi 6.jpg Kiwi on Boing.jpg Kiwi on Boing 2.jpg These were all from today. Ignore the bad pictures. In some of them I look pretty weird. I was very concentrated on getting some good pictures of him standing still!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He's adorable! Thanks for sharing his story. :)

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
He will come around just fine, my IRN and my tiels are buddies. :hug8:

Vegemite

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lynne
Thanks for sharing. Ringnecks arent really known for being cuddlebugs but there are always exceptions. My Oakley will sit on my shoulder - for a walnut, will go in his cage - for a walnut, will stop scrwaming/talking - for a walnut. I guess his fave food is a walnut LOL

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
So very handsome! I remember waiting for Titan's ring to come in...it was most exciting to see... :)

Sophia101

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sophia
So very handsome! I remember waiting for Titan's ring to come in...it was most exciting to see... :)
I am so excited! He will be such a pretty boy. Also I kinda over exaggerated when I said cuddlebug. I mean he is, as long as I don't touch his tail or wings he will cuddle into my neck/chest. I didn't trust him on my neck for the longest time until I realized that when he reached his beak to my face (which scared me a lot.) he was actually trying to check in my mouth for food and give little love bites. :xflove:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I've found that IRNs are VERY protective of their wonderful tails. Titan almost has a sense of vanity about his. People are NOT perimtted to touch, but if you tell him his tail is pretty, he'll show it off to you! :joyful:

But he still swings his tail against his cage bars when he gets excited about something.... :rolleyes:

Sophia101

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sophia
I've found that IRNs are VERY protective of their wonderful tails. Titan almost has a sense of vanity about his. People are NOT perimtted to touch, but if you tell him his tail is pretty, he'll show it off to you! :joyful:

But he still swings his tail against his cage bars when he gets excited about something.... :rolleyes:
Well who wouldn't be?!?! :laugh: Their so beautiful and birds know it when they have it. :p :xflove:

Sophia101

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sophia
True I know lots of people who have trouble finding them. That's why I chose my baby boy. :xflove:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman

svetlak

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Svetla
He is beautiful and he is also very lucky that you found each other! I hated the part of your story, describing how his previous owners transferred him to you. Terrible! I am so glad he's with you now! Enjoy him to the fullest.

I would so love to get an IRN (not easy to find where I live if at all).