• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Needing advice...

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Time to change up the behavior. Giving you one claw can be made into a shake. So give your finger and gently shake. Once he gets it add the word SHAKE. Next let him give a claw...no reward and let him figure out what he does next. REally pay attention and watch as they do a slight head down and lean like they will step up. That should be a reward. Then go for a lift and reward. DO NOT move somewhere else until he gets this behavior. Sounds good what you are doing so far but it is time to move on.

BirdNooblet

Meeting neighbors
I'd love to be able to teach him to shake as a trick. Should I try to introduce a clicker and do this?

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
I'd love to be able to teach him to shake as a trick. Should I try to introduce a clicker and do this?
Yes, he will still learn step up because your body language will be a little different. Birds are masters at reading body language.

When he puts his foot up to put on your finger say shake and shake just a small amount. Most times they like to grab and hold on to that finger to keep it still or to make sure they can stay on. But don't over shake. I will see if I can get a video to show you. I will be using my Scarlet macaw for this.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
What about trying to feed him what he normally eats by hand first thing in the morning before he's eaten? If after 5-15 minutes he doesn't eat, that's ok, you can try again the next day.
This is great advice. We tamed three wild kittens this way.

BirdNooblet

Meeting neighbors
He is finally giving me his other claw and stepping up on my finger, he is still skiddish with my hands though, what are other ways I can bond with him?

I wonder if we are bonding since he's still scared and timid but whenever there is millet he'll do whatever to get it. xD

BirdNooblet

Meeting neighbors
He is stepping onto my finger when millet is offered with no issues, however if i try to get him to step up when there is no millet he refuses. He's still scared of my hand and I'm not sure how else to bond with him. I have been giving him mist baths to get him used to it and I did attempt to try and help him preen some of the pin feathers on his head but as I got closer to his head to give it a scratch he puffed up his neck feathers and I knew he wanted no part in it so I backed away. Should I just continue to talk to him and clicker train him with millet so that he eventually comes around?

How else can I bond with my little guy? I wonder if he is just doing what I ask to get the millet. xD

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
As minor as it is, it's progress!

I would recommend to keep trying to interact with him daily and keep using millet if you have to! He needs to associate good things with you, and if that's millet, then keep using it until you don't need to anymore!

BirdNooblet

Meeting neighbors
Is there anything else I can do to associate me with good things? He is still not keen on my hands but will step up for millet.