• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Cha's New Egg.....

Cara

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
She looks so pleased and proud. :heart: :heart: Hopefully this will be it on the egg-laying.

KimKim

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Aw, so sweet, she looks so happy and beautiful:heart: Do you think the eggs were fertile? Have you seen them mating?

Sarah13

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sarah
In the Hyacinth sexual territory display thread, she mentioned how Tiko is practically oblivious in terms of picking up and responding to Cha Cha's continuous sexual displays. The egg(s) probably aren't fertile. If they were that would be exciting though....she'd and the fam would REALLY have a chore on their hands then! 13 big fid flock members, work, and then raising baby Hy(s) :hilarious: :wideyed: Weaning Hys....well, you know how that can be. :bag: :angelic: I'd still have a little sparkle of hope and excitement though..... :shy: Grab some gloves and light that thing up! :laugh:

Also, thanks so much to the parronts who enlightened me about what the best course of action would be after eggs are laid. :)
:hug8:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Baby Hys! :heart: Sarah.....? You sure you want to 'swap' out her eggs? :hilarious:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Aw, so sweet, she looks so happy and beautiful:heart: Do you think the eggs were fertile? Have you seen them mating?

:laugh: I have not seen them mating but at times they are very "close" with each other. If I had to take a guess, I would say no they are not fertile. However.... I ran a big risk removing her egg and replacing it, hoping she would accept it as hers. The fact that I did that says "I'm not postive" the egg is not fertile and not willing to take the chance. ;)

Baby Hys! :heart: Sarah.....? You sure you want to 'swap' out her eggs? :hilarious:

:laugh: Yes, I'm quite sure. As much as I love babies the stress of it would surely do me in. I also promised Tanya that these two would never be set up as a breeding pair. I have 12 rehomed birds, there are enough in the world. Cha will have to enjoy her fake egg. :hug8:

Cha!!!!
You stop that!!!
Silly girl
Sending love to you and your mommy

You tell her Tanya! I told her I was going to call her mother if she did not knock it off! She is cute on the fake egg though. ;)

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
The egg(s) probably aren't fertile. If they were that would be exciting though....she'd and the fam would REALLY have a chore on their hands then! 13 big fid flock members, work, and then raising baby Hy(s) :hilarious: :wideyed: Weaning Hys....well, you know how that can be. :bag: :angelic: I'd still have a little sparkle of hope and excitement though..... :shy: Grab some gloves and light that thing up! :laugh:

No... I do not know what weaning a Hy would be like. Do you?

With all my years of experience with macaws I still would not be prepared for breeding/weaning a Hy. It would not excite me in the slightest. So much can go wrong so quickly, that baby macaw could pay the price for my ignorance and I would have to live with that.

I'm not a risk taker when it comes to my parrots, we do it right or we don't do it.

Cara

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay

With all my years of experience with macaws I still would not be prepared for breeding/weaning a Hy. It would not excite me in the slightest. So much can go wrong so quickly, that baby macaw could pay the price for my ignorance and I would have to live with that.

I'm not a risk taker when it comes to my parrots, we do it right or we don't do it.
I know someone who's weaned them, and it is a chore. The pumping is incredibly strong and it's a long process.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
My friend is finishing weaning her second Hy. She has also weaned a palm. I love reading the stories and watching the videos. Her little girl learned to fly last week and is so proud of herself. The birds have their own refrigerator and love the food momma gives them.

cha is beautiful. She sure is sitting that egg tight.

Regarding diet. If one feeds a bird well and proper food during nesting time there should be no problem with a healthy bird laying an egg.

Sarah13

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sarah

It would be one hell of a time commitment! :wideyed: :hilarious: With the odds of the chick dying being exceptionally high compared to other species.

I know it's super scary and risky hence the "she and the fam would REALLY have a chore on their hands then" and "Weaning Hys....well, you know how that can be. :bag:" I don't want to hand feed a bird and a Hy is a bird I REALLY would not want to hand feed and attempt to wean. They wean very slowly and the mortality rate is extremely high. I never suggested you should do that or that you wanted to do that, or that I wanted you to or that I wanted to myself. If Tiko came around and there was a chick from your pair and you weren't comfortable, you could simply sell/give it to an experienced hand feeder.

What made you think that I would want or assume you wanted such a risk? I just mentioned the "Sparkle of hope and excitement" in the sense that a Hy, dog, horse, human etc......a new baby coming into the world is a sweet and lovely thought and not that I hoped YOUR birds in particular would have chicks.
There has always seemed to be a hint of animosity in your responses to me... other AA members were kindly talking about a fertile egg and I thought it was sweet and wanted to say something kind too. I'm sorry if for some reason I in particular made you so upset by agreeing with them.

Last edited:

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Hy's take your breath away anyway, but her face and body language in the pics are just so sweet.
I just had to smile at the pics and your comment about her mate's attitude to it all.

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya

Huge respect for your stance on breeding!

Ok... So I'm going to admit right up front that I'm sticking my nose into business that's probably not my business...

It would involve putting up with some wild and crazy hormones for a bit... But would you ever consider giving a few fertilized hyacinth eggs from your beautiful pair to a Hyacinth Conservation Project? You may already know that Hy's are categorized as vulnerable/threatened on the IUNC red list. It would be an absolute tragedy to lose them forever. I know that increasing genetic diversity is a huge concern for a species when breeding in captivity so your gift would be of inestimable worth. Also, you would be able to have and hear about your grandfids (many programs continually report/post on the status of their birds) without the stress of figuring out baby Hy feeding and weaning.

I only mention this because I recently had the incredible privilege of meeting (and giving scritchs to *joy*) a Hyacinth. He was stunning! Which was really something considering his condition when he was rescued from a situation of severe neglect. He was headed for an easy life of eating brazil nuts and making babies. :cool:

Just a thought... /carefully withdrawing nose from a very sensitive topic. :shy:

Last edited:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
It is starting to become a very sensitive subject with me....

So much so that I have not even posted that she has laid more. My vet and I believe it is not in her best interest health wise to continue this and we have started hormone therapy.

Hyacinths are not any higher on the endangered list than say a military macaw.... If this were a military pair would it be treated differently? I would say yes because I would not be getting PM's and emails from people asking for military macaw eggs....

Let me clarify on this thread. These are not fertile eggs. This pair is not set up to be a breeding pair and they never will be. There are hundreds of thousands of birds in rescues and not enough amazing forever homes. This pair was given to me by a lady who has dedicated her entire life to saving as many birds as she possibly could. I promised her they would not be a breeding pair and I intend to keep that promise.

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Let me clarify on this thread. These are not fertile eggs. This pair is not set up to be a breeding pair and they never will be. There are hundreds of thousands of birds in rescues and not enough amazing forever homes. This pair was given to me by a lady who has dedicated her entire life to saving as many birds as she possibly could. I promised her they would not be a breeding pair and I intend to keep that promise.

And that is EXACTLY why they were given to you and NOT to the many others that have shown interest! :highfive:

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya

So much so that I have not even posted that she has laid more. My vet and I believe it is not in her best interest health wise to continue this and we have started hormone therapy.

Hyacinths are not any higher on the endangered list than say a military macaw.... If this were a military pair would it be treated differently? I would say yes because I would not be getting PM's and emails from people asking for military macaw eggs....

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I apologize if I ruffled some feathers! :ashamed2:

I sincerely believe that anyone willing to make the sacrifice to be a good forever home is a saint among humans. Also, I deeply respect your promise and that you're honoring it! :highfive:

I know already that I want our next (someday) bird to be a rehome. I'm inspired to follow your example of responsible aviculture!

Perhaps through the sacraments of bites, screeches and poop someday we too can achieve a minor sainthood of our own. :angel2:

Last edited:

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
I have a saying I tell people "I don't breed nor do my animals". I am not against breeding but that is a choice which requires a lot of thought. When I had "a lot" of parrots people asked if I was a breeder. Nothing wrong with it but I did not breed and my birds are pets and just went on from there. They asked, I answered, end of story and said with a smile on my face. If anyone persisted I would kindly ask why they needed to know that. Most times they were curious or how much money one would make. Since I didn't breed I didn't know the answer and moved on to talk about bird behavior and birds as pets.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
I believe Tanya picked the right family for these 2 precious sweethearts. And this proves it. I would love to see more videos of them and the rest of your flock.

This pair was given to me by a lady who has dedicated her entire life to saving as many birds as she possibly could. I promised her they would not be a breeding pair and I intend to keep that promise.